Video Shows Taxi Striking Pedestrian at Bangkok Crosswalk: Public Outcry Ignites Debate

webfact

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

That video is hard to watch for several reason. Other than the obvious - a human being hit by a car:

1.) It's just normal here. Thailand would be safer if pedestrian crossings were removed entirely. They give a false sense of safety.

2.) Nothing will change in my lifetime even though it's really not that difficult to make serious improvements.

In area's of high tourist footfall - perhaps it would be good to use 'train like level crossing barriers' which lower and enable the pedestrians to cross safely.....  but then, how many videos have we seen of drivers and motorcyclists crashing into those ????

The safest crossing I have seen in Thailand (other than pedestrian bridges) - is the one out the front of the Intercontinental Hotel in Hua Hin, crossing over to the Blue Port shopping Mall.

Now the Intercontinental have built their own bridge to protect its residents...  However, before this they would employ two security / crossing guards, which would be stationed at the Crossing (with the big orange baton) who'd step out and ensure the vehicles were going to stop before he'd wave across the pedestrians - even then, drivers would still refuse to stop.

Thailand has many wonderful traits - but when it comes to driving and the consideration towards the safety of others I see an insight unto an underlying culture of selfishness which shames an otherwise wonderful culture.

Is is an insight into the true nature of Thai culture that they cannot recognise and improve this ???....  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

*the circules of influence have been discussed before.

1) - Inner Circle - Family and closest friends and loved ones - Thais are extremely giving

2) - Second Circle - Acquaintances and colleagues - Thais are polite and somewhat considerate

3) - Outer Circle - Everyone else - Complete indifference, don't care as if they don't exist

So the Thai strangers that have helped me before, what "circle" do they belong in?

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In 'developed' nations, there are also various types and styles of crossings...     thus, whilst lack of consistence could be used as an excuse I doubt that it would make any difference as the underlying cultural trait of 'do anything but slow or stop' and 'only slow & stop as a last resort' will not change'  until a cultural shift towards road safety itself and pedestrian safety is 'forced'....    and I mean forced because its ingrained in the Thai culture not to be considerate of anyone outside of the primary *circles of influence then I expect little will change...  

At least until huge fines and effective policing is enforced at every crossing.

1) - Inner Circle - Family and closest friends and loved ones - Thais are extremely giving

2) - Second Circle - Acquaintances and colleagues - Thais are polite and somewhat considerate

3) - Outer Circle - Everyone else - Complete indifference, don't care as if they don't exist

This explains why Thai's can be so kind and polite face to face as we enter the 'second circle' yet can be treated with complete indifference and disregard when in the outer circulce - i.e. such as crossing a road and someone driving and it does not enter their consciousness to be careful about us.

Perhaps this method of crossing the road (below) would force us into the second circle of drivers who'd otherwise not see us.

image.png.3229c818ffdd9db57b8c6191c4c437c7.png

I live up north and I used to  swing an umbrella  when I used the correct crossing to get my boy from school. They stopped.

What's to debate?  Thai people don't like to follow rules or laws.  The police don't enforce laws.  Maybe something will change very gradually over a very long time, but we're talking 10s of years.  If nobody really wants change and it's just a few "netizens" saying how bad it is when they see it online, so nothing will change.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Deserted said:

Did the pedestrian look before he crossed?

Well he did have the green light.   

Do you stop at intersections when you have the green, while in you car to check to make sure nobody is running the red ?

OK, I agree, and I would have looked, and do before crossing any street, anywhere, worldwide.  It is common sense.  And I do ease off the accelerator when approaching intersections in my car, if cross traffic isn't already at a stand still & waiting.  

Getting overly cautious in m old age.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

You know you are in Thailand when you go through a red light and look in your mirror and see three guys come through behind you.

You know you are in Thailand when you slow down when the light turns yellow(orange for Thais)  and you get rear ended.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In 'developed' nations, there are also various types and styles of crossings...     thus, whilst lack of consistence could be used as an excuse I doubt that it would make any difference as the underlying cultural trait of 'do anything but slow or stop' and 'only slow & stop as a last resort' will not change'  until a cultural shift towards road safety itself and pedestrian safety is 'forced'....    and I mean forced because its ingrained in the Thai culture not to be considerate of anyone outside of the primary *circles of influence then I expect little will change...  

This explains why Thai's can be so kind and polite face to face as we enter the 'second circle' yet can be treated with complete indifference and disregard when in the outer circulce - i.e. such as crossing a road and someone driving and it does not enter their consciousness to be careful about us.

Perhaps this method of crossing the road (below) would force us into the second circle of drivers who'd otherwise not see us.

Solution of the year!

And good business for brick factorys.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mancub said:
17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This medical report will be crucial in ensuring that the correct legal steps are taken.

Excuse me. but Why ?

Why? It delays the matter until it's forgotten.

EDIT - sorry, I appear to have somehow quoted two names here. Apologies to mancub.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The users questioned whether the Thai laws for road traffic violations, which they believed are not strict enough. This has perhaps led people to not follow traffic laws strictly. The same thought was expressed by The Pattaya News, who stated that those who break traffic laws are not adequately punished.

Patsathi confessed to his mistake and this was recorded for evidence in a daily diary.

On the other hand, labelling a criminal offense a "mistake" when reporting the news may also be a factor why law breakers "are not adequately punished", what do you say The Pattaya News?

On 4/24/2024 at 6:16 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

So painting the area red around the crossing didn't work, then, in Me First Thailand. What a shame.

You'd think such a genius idea of painting the crossing a different colour would have changed the attitude, driving skills and cultural arrogance of Thai drivers.

Alas, this appears not to be the case. Back to the drawing board. 

Another anecdote, but I was on my way back from Rayong on Sukhumvit the other day when a black Triton was attempting to overtake me. He was driving erratically and dangerously behind. I kept my pace just in front of him. Having a much faster vehicle I could have easily sped off, but we were already doing 110kph. We came to a red light, and I slowed down and stopped, at the front of the queue in the middle lane. The Triton overtook on my right side, blasting through the red light and almost wiping out a motorcycle turning right. The bike rider certainly would have been killed. 

Beating or passing me was the most important consideration, not driving safely or stopping on the red light. 

This is the issue of cultural arrogance. 

Until this attitude is forced out of them, and severe punishments such as jail sentences vehicle confiscations are meted out, there will be no change. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Another anecdote, but I was on my way back from Rayong on Sukhumvit the other day when a black Triton was attempting to overtake me. He was driving erratically and dangerously behind. I kept my pace just in front of him. Having a much faster vehicle I could have easily sped off, but we were already doing 110kph. We came to a red light, and I slowed down and stopped, at the front of the queue in the middle lane. The Triton overtook on my right side, blasting through the red light and almost wiping out a motorcycle turning right. The bike rider certainly would have been killed. 

Beating or passing me was the most important consideration, not driving safely or stopping on the red light. 

Until this attitude is forced out of them, and severe punishments such as jail sentences vehicle confiscations are meted out, there will be no change. 

Turning right yesterday, had slowed down, indicated, positioned correctly to turn.......and I could see a car coming fast behind me and knew he was going to try and overtake before I could turn.......and he did.......no way he was going to wait.

i drive for 10 mins everyday on country roads and have three or four near misses every week.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

So the Thai strangers that have helped me before, what "circle" do they belong in?

They're the good-hearted ones ( of which there are many) who dare to think/act outside of the norm. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Woof999 said:

That video is hard to watch for several reason. Other than the obvious - a human being hit by a car:

1.) It's just normal here. Thailand would be safer if pedestrian crossings were removed entirely. They give a false sense of safety.

2.) Nothing will change in my lifetime even though it's really not that difficult to make serious improvements.

pedestrian crossings very misleading to  this American

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mancub said:

Excuse me. but Why ?

The police report and eventual fine depends on the level of the injuries.
If the pedestrian will stay less than 14 days in the hospital, the charges against the taxi driver will be "MINOR injuries".
If the pedestrian will stay more that 14 days in the hospital, the charges against the taxi driver will be "GRAVE injuries".
Also the charges depends on the report of the hospital about the accident.
Example.: Will the pedestrian be able to recapitulate work after 2 weeks or not?

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok taxi driver hits pedestrian at Asiatique

walk.jpg

A man was hit by a taxi as he was crossing a crosswalk legally in front of Asiatique The Riverfront in Bang Kho Laem, Bangkok. The incident was captured on video and shared on Thai social media, causing widespread shock and anger.

According to details released by the local police, the accident occurred around 1:36 PM on April 23. When the emergency services arrived, they found the taxi driver, a 58-year-old man named Patsathi, and the victim, a 44-year-old man named Thanat.

Patsathi told police that he was driving along Charoen Krung road and didn't stop at the crosswalk in front of Asiatique The Riverfront, which led to him hitting Thanat, causing him injuries.

There was a mass reaction from Thai social media users after the video was shared. The users questioned whether the Thai laws for road traffic violations, which they believed are not strict enough. This has perhaps led people to not follow traffic laws strictly. The same thought was expressed by The Pattaya News, who stated that those who break traffic laws are not adequately punished.

The victim, Thanat, was quickly taken to a nearby hospital for urgent medical care. Meanwhile, police have begun their investigation. They have collected evidence from CCTV footage to help with the legal case.

Patsathi confessed to his mistake and this was recorded for evidence in a daily diary. The police are now waiting for a body examination report from the doctors treating Thanat, who is reported to be in stable condition, to proceed with legal action against Patsathi. This medical report will be crucial in ensuring that the correct legal steps are taken.

Caption: Picture courtesy of Pattaya News

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Typical thai excuse but without substance. He ran a red light by about 4 or 5 seconds and hit a pedestrian in a clearly marked crosswalk with a crowd of pedestrians also in the crosswalk, luckily only hitting 1. Another car going the other way ran the red first as well. But instead of admitting to running the red light and hitting a pedestrian his answer was he didn't stop at a crosswalk. Typical thai mentality

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think you can get that stuff anywhere..........😉

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I mentioned this Brick Idea to my Thai friend who said good in theory but many drivers in Thailand carry a gun or baseball bat and they may seek retribution for losing face to a pedestrian.  

• Like 1

Suggestion:

Pop-Up Bollards

herculeshighsecurity.com

There are times when areas normally off limits to vehicles will need to be open to some automobile traffic. When those situations occur too often or too quickly for removable bollards to be practical, pop-up bollards provide a great alternative. Retracted to allow vehicle access, they can rise out of the ground in a matter of seconds to block vehicles when needed.

• Bollards

Bollards

• Bollards

Bollards

• Bollards

Bollards

• DoS K12 NMSB VI Stainless Steel Bollard Cover

DoS K12 NMSB VI Stainless Steel Bollard Cover

• DoS K12 NMSB VI Retractable Bollards

DoS K12 NMSB VI Retractable Bollards

• Retractable Bollard System

Retractable Bollard System

• Agree 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:36 PM, PremiumLane said:
On 4/24/2024 at 4:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Sure.... Your individual experience outweighs generalisation...    :whistling:

8 hours ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

I mentioned this Brick Idea to my Thai friend who said good in theory but many drivers in Thailand carry a gun or baseball bat and they may seek retribution for losing face to a pedestrian.  

Absolutely agree....    in no time at all we'd have this (Photo below).....  

I'm sure some drivers here would go to any lengths possible not to have to apply that brake pedal.... 

image.png.c6cccff8f67ba97b3f1197e7e34318c4.png

On 4/24/2024 at 6:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

1. Nothing will change if the police doesn't fine all those riders and drivers who all the time ignore zebra crossings. The police is just too lazy to do their job.

2. Anybody who lives in Thailand should be aware that riders and drivers regularly ignore red lights. It seems for many red is only red if it was red for at least 5 seconds or something like that. And because that is as it is, it makes a lot of sense to wait a little after you have your green light. And look out for the bad guys, just to be sure.

In Thailand it is a very bad idea to walk if you see green only because in theory you should be able to do that. Don't do it! Watch first! At least if  you want to live a little longer.

It seems the driver was not arrested by the police right away. Why not? 

You forgot to mention the man hit. Even when you cross a street at a crosswalk you should always be looking left and right to make sure you are safe. The man in the video did not once look. I am not trying to lay blame on the man hit... But the accident could have been avoided if he had bothered to look while crossing. 

• Like 1

Just now, thesetat said:

You forgot to mention the man hit. Even when you cross a street at a crosswalk you should always be looking left and right to make sure you are safe. The man in the video did not once look. I am not trying to lay blame on the man hit... But the accident could have been avoided if he had bothered to look while crossing. 

Agreed...  It was the same when the eye Dr. was killed on the crossing after getting impacted by the motorcyclist last year - the victim walked across the pedestrian crossing, apparently without looking to her right, the view was also partially blocked by a van which had stopped - the bike blew through the crossing at speed without any intention to stop, just as this taxi did in this latest incident. 

The point being made by others, is that we have to be very cautious when crossing the road and have our head on a swivel. 

However, the point that is also being made is that in a civilised country, a blind man should be able to walk across a road on a pedestrian crossing without concern. 

Thailand has a long way to go regarding road safety and the concern for the safety of others.

• Like 1