Bangkok sizzles at 40°C, heatwave scorches Thailand at 43°C

webfact

For over 20 years I had to leave our farm every year on May 11/12 to go back to work as a teacher in Bangkok 

It was frustrating as, almost to clockwork, the rains would begin then in north Issan.

After 6 parched weeks on the farm, I would love to have been there for the early rains and blessed relief from the heat. 

So if it's any solace, the rains may begin then.

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, of course this depends upon various factors, including insulation, size of room, efficiency of the AC unit, and other factors.

I use ACs that have an EER of 23, or above,  (measured in BTU units not Kcal).  Anyway, these are among the most efficient that are available to the consumer in Thailand in this market.  I use Panasonic inverters. And, I use the most expensive models of the Panasonic inverters.  BUT, as everybody here know, I am NOT satisfied with the quality, compared to the Panasonic ACs I bought in Taiwan/Japan.  I do not know what is causing this. Maybe different quality for different markets, etc....

Also, you need to be careful when thinking that it is best to turn the AC off when you leave the room for a short period of time...

Why?

Because, there is data that shows that it is more efficient to allow the AC to remain on, and maintain a constant temperature, rather than to turn it off for a few hours, and then try to use the AC to re-cool the room, starting at a very high room air temp.

You can google this point, too.

NOTE:  It sounds to me as if you may be using a non-inverter type AC, or one which might have a problem with the thermostat, or some other problem.

The Panasonic inverters that I have can maintain PLUS/MINUS 1 degree C temperature range when set to 22 degrees.  But then you need to select AUTO fan.  (I once had a defective Panasonic machine that was totally unable to maintain the selected air temp in the room.  I finally was able to get the company to allow a return to the factory in Malaysia. or....I really do not know what they did with that defective machine.)

I have a fairly high-end Panasonic Inverter in my bedroom and it's absolutely fantastic, best AC I've ever used. 

Yea! My 30-day planner shows the temperature plunging to 34 from the end of the first week of May, with rain forecast from then onwards. As it should be, of course, at least in Kalasin Province. I'm sure it's only an estimate rather than an actual forecast and it could change....

Screenshot 2024-04-25 072411.png

16 hours ago, BigBruv said:

OT but evolution is a *theory* based on a completely ridiculous 'big bang' *theory* which only over educated (indoctrinated) autists can even attempt to explain.

So where do you think the Universe and all of us in it, come from please?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, and I complain of my hot condeo in Canada when the temperatures get in the mid to high twenties.

Glad that I got out of Thailand in March, it was hot enough then as well.

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So where do you think the Universe and all of us in it, come from please?

I have my suspicions but they don't include a 'big bang' as that *theory* is retarded.

Ever asked yourself who or what made your bang so big?

If not, you've been indoctrinated through consistently repeated lies just as you were through the 'covid' nonsense which you also took at face face value and went along with.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, BigBruv said:

I have my suspicions but they don't include a 'big bang' as that *theory* is retarded.

Ever asked yourself who or what made your bang so big?

If not, you've been indoctrinated through consistently repeated lies just as you were through the 'covid' nonsense which you also took at face face value and went along with.

And those who suggest that it was all made by a God are also indoctrinated. Still we'll never know.

It's where it's all going to end which matters more. 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, thrilled said:

December I can tolerate Thailand. I Mean 43 is ok if I want I want to stay in the house all the time. I left in January.

November to February is roughly the period I would recommend in Thailand. Other than that it is too hot or rains and is too humid.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

And right now it's very hot and has been for 4-5 weeks, every day. 

This is the future. Expect more 40+ degree periods during the hot season.

33 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

That’s just like, your opinion man. 

Go look at a chart for historical April temperatures. 

Every day?  I've lived here for twenty years and I haven't known anything like this before.  The temperatures are high normal but it's not usual every day.  When authorities start to issue severe heat warnings it ceases to be a matter of opinion. No, you're wrong imo.

If someone is very fit, perhaps a super athlete, comes from Arizona, or similar, then I suppose it might feel merely hot.  Likewise someone predominantly sitting in air con behind a keyboard might also be comfortable.

What's your situation?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Every day?  I've lived here for twenty years and I haven't known anything like this before.  The temperatures are high normal but it's not usual every day.  When authorities start to issue severe heat warnings it ceases to be a matter of opinion. No, you're wrong imo.

If someone is very fit, perhaps a super athlete, comes from Arizona, or similar, then I suppose it might feel merely hot.  Likewise someone predominantly sitting in air con behind a keyboard might also be comfortable.

What's your situation?

Bro, typical highs in April 36 degrees C.

Current temp: 37 degrees C.

its just normal. I have no idea why people blather on and on about nothing. Thailand is hot, it’s always this hot, give or take. You have no point. You’re wrong. Numbers don’t lie. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Bro, typical highs in April 36 degrees C.

Current temp: 37 degrees C.

its just normal. I have no idea why people blather on and on about nothing. Thailand is hot, it’s always this hot, give or take. You have no point. You’re wrong. Numbers don’t lie. 

Funnily enough, figures (if correct) can still mask the effect. Perhaps it's the heat index which should be looked at.

But anyway-

The average April daily high for my city is listed as around 34-35 degrees. Based on my experience, I would expect Surat city to be around 34-35 with short spells of 36 to 38. 

The last 4-5 weeks has been one long spell of 37 or 38 most of the time.  That fluctuation looks small on a graph, but the lived experience is quite different. 

However someone under air conditioning most of the day might well wonder what all the fuss is about.  

Perhaps I find it very hot because I only use air con overnight and sometimes for an hour when I nap in the afternoon. Generally I am working on a computer in a room from 35-39 degrees day in day out.  I also exercise.  I'm really feeling the heat this year.  Even the evenings offer little respite. 

Maybe it's just me though, because where I come from 35 degrees is regarded as very hot, and the death rate in oldies shoots up.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Funnily enough, figures (if correct) can still mask the effect.

Based on experience, I would expect Surat city to be around 34-35 with short spells of 36 to 38.

The last 5 weeks have been 37 or 38 most of the time.  That fluctuation looks small on a graph, but the lived experience is quite different.  

The fluctuations are small on a graph. Your feelings don’t count. Actual numbers and averages do. It’s normal… keep in mind those number are averages! That means some years it was hotter, some cooler. It’s mind blowing people don’t get simple numbers. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

The fluctuations are small on a graph. Your feelings don’t count. Actual numbers and averages do. It’s normal… keep in mind those number are averages! That means some years it was hotter, some cooler. It’s mind blowing people don’t get simple numbers. 

Small differences really do count.  Averages are just that.  You even skewed the figures by comparing 'typical high' which is not the same as average, with 'current temp' which again is not an average. Nonsense!

In summary, the average high here for the time of the year is usually 34-35.  Currently and for 4 straight weeks and more it has mostly been 37-38.  But I guess that would be a small difference to someone who perhaps doesn't really live in it.  

Anyway mate, I'm just as daft. I really need to get under the aircon too.

• Like 1

Without exaggeration I’m at my place right now. I get morning sun in this room and it’s not fun I’ll admit. Sun is off to the other side now. No ac. I’m fine. I would not say 100% comfy but it’s not anything I feel is crazy. In short, being inside it’s not bad at all. Being outside walking or sitting near pavement that’s baking all day can be brutal I’ll admit, but that’s usually easy to curtail unless you’re somehow stuck there with work or something. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Without exaggeration I’m at my place right now. I get morning sun in this room and it’s not fun I’ll admit. Sun is off to the other side now. No ac. I’m fine. I would not say 100% comfy but it’s not anything I feel is crazy. In short, being inside it’s not bad at all. Being outside walking or sitting near pavement that’s baking all day can be brutal I’ll admit, but that’s usually easy to curtail unless you’re somehow stuck there with work or something. 

I think it must be about heat effect.  I would say that we Brits moan about the weather hot, cold, dry, or wet, and anywhere in between.  I guess it's not actually that bad, except for now and then when I can feel overwhelmed. It does feel generally uncomfortable though, and it's the fact that it is unrelenting which makes it different from all the other years I've lived in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think it must be about heat effect.  I would say that we Brits moan about the weather hot, cold, dry, or wet, and anywhere in between.  I guess it's not actually that bad, except for now and then when I can feel overwhelmed. It does feel generally uncomfortable though, and it's the fact that it is unrelenting which makes it different from all the other years I've lived in Thailand.

I know these forums are prone to exaggeration but I walked over 2km today in the sun to get to a government office. Was it fun? No. But I mean I could have kept going. Did I get a taxi back? Yes. But that’s not the point. Ha. This was midday too. I just seriously don’t think it’s too hot. It’s humid here so the temps are confined in a small range. Deserts can get bad, I mean they actually can get way out of control hot, which I just don’t feel like this is, myself. It’s just interesting to discuss though. Idk maybe next year I’ll think this is hotter than I did this year, who knows. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

It could be that those that are really feeling the heat are living in heat trap areas, either the surrounding area or the place they live in, or both.  Thus the weather report might say 38 but inside is actually 41, which is a nasty heat.  That appears to the case where I live.  

I went out for a walk yesterday early afternoon and I agree with RP nothing to worry about at 38.

I need to get a good thermometer maybe but it certainly appears that way.

42 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It could be that those that are really feeling the heat are living in heat trap areas, either the surrounding area or the place they live in, or both.  Thus the weather report might say 38 but inside is actually 41, which is a nasty heat.  That appears to the case where I live.  

I went out for a walk yesterday early afternoon and I agree with RP nothing to worry about at 38.

I need to get a good thermometer maybe but it certainly appears that way.

That is a good point.ts windy where I am and I’m sure it helps tremendously. I understand if it was no wind it would in fact be brutal. 

• Sad 1

Here in Udon Province it is now 42C. An hour ago it was 43C. Life goes on. People still in the fields. People still walking their buffaloes. People still building houses. Kids still playing kiss chase.

Bangkok is a pussy cat. Tigers up here.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Here in Udon Province it is now 42C. An hour ago it was 43C. Life goes on. People still in the fields. People still walking their buffaloes. People still building houses. Kids still playing kiss chase.

Bangkok is a pussy cat. Tigers up here.

It's severe weather- the heat index must be around 50.  I'm sorry, perhaps I just have seen the other side of rural idylls.  I guess natives can handle things better though. Probably many many more on the edge of heat stroke. 

14 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's severe weather- the heat index must be around 50.  I'm sorry, perhaps I just have seen the other side of rural idylls.  I guess natives can handle things better though. Probably many many more on the edge of heat stroke. 

I've been in the bitter cold whilst in Special Forces. So cold yer couldn't touch yer lips with a fork. If you did, someone would have to pour boiling water onto it to unfreeze it from yer lips. That's why we all had wooden spoons.

This warm weather is not going to last forever. Take the opportunity to get a bit of sun on yer back. Kick yer feet in the surf, or roll in the rice stubble if not near the sea. Turn off the air-con. You know it's not good for you. If you must; get a fan.

My advice; sit under a tree and do what nature intended.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've been in the bitter cold whilst in Special Forces. So cold yer couldn't touch yer lips with a fork. If you did, someone would have to pour boiling water onto it to unfreeze it from yer lips. That's why we all had wooden spoons.

This warm weather is not going to last forever. Take the opportunity to get a bit of sun on yer back. Kick yer feet in the surf, or roll in the rice stubble if not near the sea. Turn off the air-con. You know it's not good for you. If you must; get a fan.

My advice; sit under a tree and do what nature intended.

How do you relax in the evening? wrestle bears!

It must be hellishly hot up north.

I tracked my home temperature with reported figures, and they stayed remarkably close up until about 6pm, but while reported figures went down fairly quickly, the temp in my house and outside stayed pretty high.  At 8pm it was still 36, and at midnight an unbelievable 33.  Even now the 'feel like' is likely around 40 given 80% humidity.

Current example 12:31am : weather report 28 degrees/ 88% humidity/ feels like 34

my house 33

• Agree 1

First I was a climate immigrant to Thailand, now Im a climate immigrant back home. 

I packed up my bags and bailed out months before I was supposed to go home. this year I will be staying 8 months back home instead of 6. 

• Like 1