Bangkok sizzles at 40°C, heatwave scorches Thailand at 43°C

webfact

27 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

but is next month not May?

Yes it is and as I said temperatures next month will remain hot but will at some stage drop in May. Drop by how much and when who knows. So being that you seem to have misunderstood my point here it is again. Next month (May) will remain hot. Sometime next month (May) the temperature should come down a bit. Humidity will start to increase in the run up to the wet season. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

We would like to think so but perhaps May is having second thoughts about appearing when it's too hot, which is why it's called May, it may arrive or it may not, it may show up for a bit and then disappear giving April some extra days, it's what Mays do.....how like them!

Have you been on the wacky?

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please also keep in mind this META analysis of available data concerning heart attacks around the time you mention, 3AM....

image.png.5e3dc1f339bfe728ce8f9f8b86e3889a.png

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21427375/#:~:text=Conclusion%3A Acute cardiac events were,levels of habitual physical activity.

I don't do anything like that, it would upset the dogs and I've always regarded the movements as a little ridiculous, especially if the wife starts moving as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Have you been on the wacky?

I haven't got the air con on and I've been reading Winnie the Pooh in Thai to my step grandchildren, it gives one some strange ideas.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand is currently experiencing sweltering heat, with temperatures soaring to a blistering 43 degrees Celsius in some areas, while Bangkok faces highs of around 40 degrees Celsius. Amid this intense heatwave, the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) cautioned the public to avoid prolonged outdoor activities and to take care of their health.

The northern region is particularly affected, with temperatures ranging from 24 to 30 degrees Celsius at night and hitting highs between 37 and 43 degrees Celsius during the day. Thunderstorms are expected in about 10% of the area, accompanied by strong winds in places like Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, and Phetchabun.

The northeastern region is not spared, with scorching temperatures and sporadic thunderstorms also expected in about 10% of the area, particularly in Loei, Chaiyaphum, and Nakhon Ratchasima. The lowest temperatures at night will hover between 25 and 29 degrees Celsius, with daytime highs reaching between 39 and 42 degrees Celsius.

Central Thailand is also grappling with the heat, with similar conditions of thunderstorms in 10% of the region and gusty winds in areas such as Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Uthai Thani, and Lopburi. The temperatures range from 27 to 29 degrees Celsius at the coolest part of the night to 39 to 41 degrees Celsius at the peak of the day’s heat.

The eastern part of Thailand is generally hot, with scattered thunderstorms in 10% of the region, notably in Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat. The mercury dips to between 26 and 30 degrees Celsius at night and climbs to between 35 and 41 degrees Celsius during the day. The sea is relatively calm with waves under 1 metre, but during thunderstorms, the waves can exceed 1 metre.

The situation is similar in the southern east coast provinces like Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla, Yala, and Narathiwat, where the temperatures fluctuate between 24 and 28 degrees Celsius at night and 35 to 40 degrees Celsius during the day. Sea conditions are generally calm, with waves below 1 metre rising above 1 meter during thunderstorms.

Temperature rises

The southern west coast, comprising provinces like Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang, and Satun, experiences hot weather with a higher chance of thunderstorms, affecting 30% of the region. The temperatures here range from 25 to 29 degrees Celsius at night to 35 to 38 degrees Celsius in the daytime. The sea has waves averaging around 1 metre, increasing in height during thunderstorms.

In Bangkok and its vicinity, the heat is pervasive, with occasional cloud cover during the day and isolated areas of extreme heat. The temperature at night is expected to be between 28 and 30 degrees Celsius, while daytime temperatures are predicted to reach between 36 and 40 degrees Celsius, reported KhaoSod.

During this period of intense heat, the public is advised to stay hydrated, seek shade, and limit outdoor activities during the hottest parts of the day. The elderly, children and those with health issues should be particularly cautious.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of wirestock, Freepik

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Although these temperatures seem high. They are not showing what the real temps are when you feel it. In my area right now it is only 34. But the weather app is saying that it feels like 45.... I tend to believe the weather app feels like temp more because the heat is really bad unless in the shade. I can not imagine what the feels like temperature is in Bangkok at 40c. Time to start cooking food on the sidewalks to save electricity bills skyrocketing to fight this heat also.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes it is and as I said temperatures next month will remain hot but will at some stage drop in May. Drop by how much and when who knows. So being that you seem to have misunderstood my point here it is again. Next month (May) will remain hot. Sometime next month (May) the temperature should come down a bit. Humidity will start to increase in the run up to the wet season. 

I am not looking forward to the run-up in humidity during the run-up to the Raining Season. 

I would rather endure the heat during the drier Dry Season. 

No way I would attempt to live in CM without powerful efficient inverter ACs. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am not looking forward to the run-up in humidity during the run-up to the Raining Season. 

I would rather endure the heat during the drier Dry Season. 

No way I would attempt to live in CM without powerful efficient inverter ACs. 

I agree about the humidity. That's the one that really does me in. I swear I perspire in the shower on the really humid days. Have a shower, get out and within minutes wet from perspiration. I take mineral salts on those days. e.g. ....

image.jpeg.7db82a6f5f2c4ceef319b31fdc47b752.jpeg

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Same for me, though up country. My fridge/freezer cannot keep up, my bedroom A/C is struggling, don't need electricity for the electric shower, water comes out hot.

My 2 cats are near dead, the dog isn't much better, my electric has gone up by about 60%, via the f/f and bedroom A/C and fans, and folk come on here saying it is no different to any other year.....(tools).......🤔

Thanks, that has cheered me up no end , can you keep us updated on your suffering ?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I agree about the humidity. That's the one that really does me in. I swear I perspire in the shower on the really humid days.

Humidity can be okay. If you get cloud cover and some rain. Especially in the afternoon, when even a brief rain shower will cool off the roof of the house and thus make it less like an oven going into the night.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Same for me, though up country. My fridge/freezer cannot keep up, my bedroom A/C is struggling, don't need electricity for the electric shower, water comes out hot.

My 2 cats are near dead, the dog isn't much better, my electric has gone up by about 60%, via the f/f and bedroom A/C and fans, and folk come on here saying it is no different to any other year.....(tools).......🤔

Yes I was one of them initially and i was wrong. It is different this month. Maximums are stll pretty much the same, high 30's, low 40's with high 20's overnight which is consistent with April temps but the difference this year is it's everyday. 

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've been here for some27 years and I've never known it to be so hot for such a long period. In my area it's been a month of 38-40, and the forecast I have is at least another 10 days of the same.

Started here in Bangkok during the last week of March, and my ten day extended forecast is actually showing an increase in the daily high to 41 going on into May.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Those who say that this year is not far hotter than Thailand has ever been during the past century are just sharing contrarian views in order to spread FUD for FUN. 

Concerning the ACs... 

When I purchased my ACs that I am now using, last year and five years ago, I purposely selected cooling capacity ratings that were almost double what is recommended for my rooms. 

So now, I can cool the rooms to 21 degrees during the day, during the hottest days, and 18 degrees during the period 3AM to 7AM. 

Sorry to hear about your dogs and cats. Dogs enjoy ice water and ice cubes. Maybe you can buy some sort of electric cold pad for the cats to sleep on. 

Time to consider the best long-term strategies for the coming years...maybe... 

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Humidity can be okay. If you get cloud cover and some rain. Especially in the afternoon, when even a brief rain shower will cool off the roof of the house and thus make it less like an oven going into the night.

The humidity I'm talking about is the 80%+ we get in the run up to the wet. It just washes me out. Humidity this month hasn't been high where I am with it being a fairly constant low 50's to low 60's %.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

The humidity I'm talking about is the 80%+ we get in the run up to the wet. It just washes me out. Humidity this month hasn't been high where I am with it being a fairly constant low 50's to low 60's %.

At the beginning of the heat wave, I saw some days with the humidity in the 30s. That can make even a 40 degree day bearable. But it's shifting into the 50s now, and that is dangerous. And when I wake up to run the stairs in the morning, it's always 80 or 90ish. I'd rather run in the heat of the day at 39 than 34 and 80 percent humidity. The good thing is that this year seems to have at least gone back on schedule. Last year was uncommonly cool for my area into the first week of April. And then the heat blower came on and lasted throughout June. I'm hoping for a cool down this June.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

My fridge/freezer cannot keep up

This is why it's crucial to choose a refrigerator freezer with extremely good insulation. 

The Hitachi refrigerator has excellent installation characteristics. 

But the new Samsung machine, which is double door, same as the Hitachi, seems to lack the same highly effective insulting characteristics of the more expensive machine. 

If this is true, then the Samsung machine will cost more, in the long run, due to higher consumption of electrical power. 

I like Samsung solid-state memory storage and Samsung phones. 

But I always think I a crazy if/when I buy Samsung appliances. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

We had the first rain since 22nd March in rural Kamphaeng Phet this afternoon, It cam with 3 power outages in 30 minutes, the third lasting 2 1/2 hours.

Over Songkran we had the family and a couple of friends for a few days. 11 of us using electricity, a/c and water.

My BIL fixed the downstairs a/c and that is now back on for 3 hours a day. My bedroom a/c is on for about 9 hours a night as were the 2 upstairs a/c. There are always 3 or four fans running somewhere 24/7.

I got the electricity bill today covering Songkran. I was surprised and somewhat happy to see that it was only 39% higher at 4,511 baht compared to last month.

My wife and I have gone back to dip showers from a 200 litre barrel in the hong nam. It is much cooler though the first load can be a shock to the system.

The cat seems to be coping quite well, and luckily we have no dogs to worry about.

The average temperature in April 2023 was close to this year but about 4 degrees hotter than 2022 We also had a lot more rain in 2022 that this year.

It is easy to say, but try to stay inside and keep cool. Dip showers 2 or 3 times a day are great, if you have enough water to spare.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is why it's crucial to choose a refrigerator freezer with extremely good insulation. 

But the new Samsung machine, which is double door, same as the Hitachi, seems to lack the same highly effective insulting characteristics of the more expensive machine. 

If this is true, then the Samsung machine will cost more, in the long run, due to higher consumption of electrical power. 

Dude, same for me, my refrigerator is always insulting me.

11 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Dude, same for me, my refrigerator is always insulting me.

Can't be helped, I guess. 

This is Thailand. 

Sent from my Samsung Note 4. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It has had no problem for 17 years, except had a new motor 2 years back. 

It is a Samsung...

But, it still makes ice, though at the mo the motor does not stop during the day, at night I don't know, but the ice maker is always full...🤗

I can only agree with those who confirm that it is the constant high temps that are wearing  down tolerance .

Everything is hot to the touch even well after sundown and night temperatures stay in mid to high twenties.

Bonus time for ice factories but bad for the economic capacity of even those who have only electric fans to cower in front of.

Have not noted any dire warnings of electric supply issues due to low hydro capacity and with Thailand about to enter wet  season maybe not a problem as only a couple of years back.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, transam said:

It has had no problem for 17 years, except had a new motor 2 years back. 

It is a Samsung...

But, it still makes ice, though at the mo the motor does not stop during the day, at night I don't know, but the ice maker is always full...🤗

Great. 

I just hope my Samsung refrigerator does as well. 

For some reason, Samsung gave me a 20-year warranty on the digital inverter compressor motor unit. 

I did not find this to be one bit insulting. 

I just question the insulating characteristics compared to the Hitachi. 

The freezer compartment goes down to minus 25, even when the room temperature is 38 degrees C. 

The refrigerator compartment goes to 32 degrees C. 

The price was much lower than the Hitachi. 

I just don't know about power consumption which depends on insulation and heat transfer. This Samsung is very quiet. I think it's a really nice machine! 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The refrigerator compartment goes to 32 degrees C. 

Proof reading is important. 32 degrees C is quite warm, mine not a Samsung is much cooler. I hope its a typo. ☺️

2 minutes ago, marin said:

Proof reading is important. 32 degrees C is quite warm, mine not a Samsung is much cooler. I hope its a typo. ☺️

32.5 F 

Sorry. 

0.25 C

Again, Sorry. 

Sent from my Samsung Note 4. Now over 9 years old. But, the keyboard causes many errors.