British tourist fined for getting car stuck on Phuket beach

webfact

4 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Sand has salt (from the sea water)... duh. Sand and salt is corrosive to the paint. Not hard to figure out why car rental companies don't want you off-roading on the beach.

Agreed, but nobody was "off roading" on  the beach! He hit the beach by accident. If he'd "skidded off" the other way, the consequences could have been far worse - "sorry I've got a bit of sand under the car" or possibly  a head on colllision with a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

I'm getting fed up of commenting on some of these idiots,  the weather made him vere off course, yes of course it did mate, didums,  no one else by the way,  only him, what a total loser.  

Yeah, in a different country, different road conditions, different weather conditions , DIFFERENT CAR! At least no one was hurt or injured - as could quite easily have happened if the conditions had made him VEER off in  a different direction.

And I have lived here for nearly 20 years and seen idiotic driving at its best/worst, but I don't know the full story - or do you, and the fact that it didn't affect anyone else is irrelevant, and to call him "total loser" is IMHO inappropriate when you don't know the facts.

To digress slightly, I had a guy overtake me on my motor bike today on the way to my local Tesco Lotus, (Topless "Farang" on a "Big Bike with no helmet -you know the type!) who had his right hand indicator flashing as if he was turning right (as you would expect!) But no, he VEERS left causing me to brake suddenly, and he cuts in front of a car who is also turning right - causing him to brake suddenly, and accelerates rapidly to the LEFT, while his indicator is still flashing RIGHT!

Now THAT is a loser who should end up facing a hefty fine, but no, it ain't gonna happen because "The Plod" are nowhere to be seen, and if they were, it would involve taking witness statements, checking CCTV cameras that "no work", and who gives a f**k anyway - it's too hot to get upset - "Chill man" - TIT!"!

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

It must be deep in our psyche. Not that long ago we controlled 25% plus of the world's population and land mass so we tend to think we can go anywhere, and behave badly, with impunity. The sad reality is that we are greatly reduced, and struggle just to run our own, relatively small, country. Our politicians are full of s..t, as are our rivers, beaches and reservoirs.

I'm not confused - far from it, and anybody from the UK who reads your post must agree with at least part of the content. I do agree regarding the politicians - IMHO opinion, the mess that the country is in  - from the Prime Minister (Rishi Shunak) to the Mayor of London (Sadiq Khan) is due to the fact that decisions are made without considering the benefits, ( pun intended!) in favour of making decisions that might not offend some "members" of the British  public.

The "Nanny State" is a reality where thousands of immigrants are so desperate to get there that hundreds of them have died over the years in the attempt to cross the Channel from France to the UK - another 5 have died today. 

However, the article is about somebody getting their car stuck in the sand in Phuket, and the consequences, so we are maybe going a bit "off road" with this discussion!

10 hours ago, sambum said:

Agreed, but nobody was "off roading" on  the beach! He hit the beach by accident.

And got stuck... Because he was off road. In the sand. You'd be surprised what little infractions can void a car rental contract.

• Agree 1

I do not want to be cheeky but how many of us have seen many, many Thais washing their pick-ups at the rim of a river or a lake. A pristine example is the Mabpachan and the Chaknok lake outside Pattaya. Apart from dirt and oil residue the entire garbage of the car gets offloaded in the hope, that the mess will disappear mysteriously overnight. 

Fine the guy driving along the beach but use the very same measures once a semi-divine Khon Thai is doing worse than that - me thinks 😉