British tourist fined for getting car stuck on Phuket beach

webfact

1 hour ago, transam said:

I would have thought a pleasant policeman, but those who do not like policemen in general, will post something like you have........:whistling:

Was at the police station this morning discussing the way forward for the hit and run. No problems with him, documents on the way to the courts now.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If the photo shows where he was stuck then he must be a poor driver. The Fortuna is 4 wheel drive and would handle that without missing a beat.

They are not all 4x4

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Did he get fined more than the guy who was blatantly driving all over the shore ? 🙄

Just 4 x as much as the Thai guy....who probably should have known better !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

No, mainly Brits who can afford to holiday and rent cars in LOS........🤗

Sure, and they are also in the club of a few arrogant ones who sees everything as a road for their pleasure.

Correction, it´s was mainly Brits that could afford holidays and rental fees for cars in foreign countries. Not since the pound dropped approx 50%. 😂

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The policeman seems to be enjoying watching the guy trying to dig himself out.

Bit mean to be laughing then handing out a fine.

You were there? You know what he was smiling about? You were in on the joke? You're psychic and know what he was thinking? My experiences with Thai police, even on rare occasions when I was guilty of something, is that they are quite good natured, and I sure would prefer a jovial cop to a mean one. And I think if you or I were there the sight of the guy digging would likely have been pretty funny. The guy was a fool and deserving of being laughed at, if that's what it was. But how do you know the photo wasn't staged? It doesn't look like he was digging near the wheels. It looks like the car was already out of the rut, likely pushed out by whoever was gathered around. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Always Brits doing what? Kicking doctors, punching women in supermarkets, Kicking pregnant women in gift shops, wrestling with taxi drivers, assaulting a police officer and grabbing his gun, spitting on a car windscreen and threatening the female driver? could go on.

You rascal.😄

• Haha 2

If the rental company finds out the vehicle has a  citation for driving on the beach (off-road), the Co. could change him (10,000 baht or more), and even claim more fees for damages (salt water damage). It would definitely void his contract. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Goat said:

Sorry, but i had better things to do. 

If i was there i would have helped my Brit cousin dig it out.

And paid his fine for him. 

Yeh, I bet you would...................😂

• Confused 1

Just now, sambum said:

"Additionally, the tourist has been instructed to compensate the car rental company with 20,000 baht for the damages incurred."

Sounds like a rip off - the car doesn't appear to be damaged in any way - no collision - maybe got "scratched " by the sand?

Is the drive-shaft, trans casing caked in sand, perhaps it was put up on a hoist for inspection, decided to strip a few things down, we don't know....🤗

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Is the drive-shaft, trans casing caked in sand, perhaps it was put up on a hoist for inspection, decided to strip a few things down, we don't know....🤗

Yes, it's like when a "know nothing about cars" person takes the car into the garage and the mechanic shakes his head, "tuts" and has a sharp intake of breath that you realise it's going to be expensive! 

Edited by sambum
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Why is it always the Brits, is there something wrong with their gene pool?

It must be deep in our psyche. Not that long ago we controlled 25% plus of the world's population and land mass so we tend to think we can go anywhere, and behave badly, with impunity. The sad reality is that we are greatly reduced, and struggle just to run our own, relatively small, country. Our politicians are full of s..t, as are our rivers, beaches and reservoirs.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Every Friday when I lived in the UAE I would drive along the coast from Sharjah to the Marine club in Umm Al Quwain on the way back there would always be one or two local Arabs on the beach trying to get their stuck Corvette or Transam away from the incoming tide, usually they did not succeed and the car would be engulfed by the sea and then left there to become a rusted salt water wreck. 

....and bought a new one the next day😂

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

It must be deep in our psyche. Not that long ago we controlled 25% plus of the world's population and land mass so we tend to think we can go anywhere, and behave badly, with impunity. The sad reality is that we are greatly reduced, and struggle just to run our own, relatively small, country. Our politicians are full of s..t, as are our rivers, beaches and reservoirs.

....and on top you got an Indian as PM. Mountbatten would turn in his grave.😵‍💫

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

So a little sand caused 20k damage to a Fortuner? 555.....surrrree.

Insurance, hellooooo

Nice touch for the BIBs and the renter

5 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

So a little sand caused 20k damage to a Fortuner? 555.....surrrree.

Insurance, hellooooo

Cops will be round looking for their %%%

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"Salt water damage'? It was on the beach, just off the road - not in the sea!

Sand has salt (from the sea water)... duh. Sand and salt is corrosive to the paint. Not hard to figure out why car rental companies don't want you off-roading on the beach.

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If the photo shows where he was stuck then he must be a poor driver. The Fortuna is 4 wheel drive and would handle that without missing a beat.

Obviously, he did not engage the 4-wheel-drive. 

If not engaged, then.. 

No work. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, and they are also in the club of a few arrogant ones who sees everything as a road for their pleasure.

Correction, it´s was mainly Brits that could afford holidays and rental fees for cars in foreign countries. Not since the pound dropped approx 50%. 😂

Deleted 

Edited by roo860