Anyone know of a Black & Decker repairer in Pattaya?

giddyup

I bought a battery operated B&D weed whacker/whipper snipper/lawn edger on Lazada about 8 months ago, so it's still under warranty. It's developed a problem either in the switch or a faulty battery, I don't know which, but it runs intermittently and then stops. Problem is the B&D main repair centre is in Samut Prakan and it's going to be a hassle to find a box to send it in, arrange for a courier to collect (and pay for it) when I'd just as soon pay some local repairer who service B&D products.

• Haha 1

When the switch in mine broke I took it apart to find out why.

When you use a bush wacker you blip the throttle rather than just have it on full all the time. 

Inside the switch I found that the bit of plastic connected to the throttle that completes the electric circuit was very flimsy and had snapped off. 

Since repair of this bit of plastic was not really possible I bought an ordinary lamp rocker switch and rewired the Wacker to use this switch. Worked fine but blipping not possible. Just on or off option.

Dirt cheap repair and no waiting.

Edited by Denim
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

AMORN Electronics Tukcom Pattaya,

Electronics retail and repair shop, next to TOPS.

Johng says it's no longer there.

32 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Johng says it's no longer there.

Yep gone for a long time now,  in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Amorn store goes soon.

Sorry I don't know of a place that repairs power tools all the places I knew about have disappeared.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's been asked before, doesn't look good 

Try contacting direct, they may have someone closer than SP 

https://asia.blackanddecker.global/support/contact-us/thailand

Rang them this morning, seems I have to courier the item at my expense to Samut Prakan, there is no official service centre in Pattaya. I was hoping that someone knew of a repair shop that serviced all brands, but I think for peace of mind it might be better to send to the dealership.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

one good reason to buy local... 

we also have a nearby handy shop where they do repairs quite reasonably. Maybe try that. 

If I bought locaI would still have to send to B&W for repair.

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

AMORN Electronics Tukcom Pattaya,

Electronics retail and repair shop, next to TOPS.

Also have several shops in Chiang Mai.

Black and decker is not the "brand" they were years ago. Now its just made in china rubbish, I'd bin it and buy a proper one. Although you could try bypassing the switch yourself

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Black and decker is not the "brand" they were years ago. Now its just made in china rubbish, I'd bin it and buy a proper one. Although you could try bypassing the switch yourself

I had a cheaper model B&W weed whacker previously, it ran faultlessly for 10 years, so I dispute the rubbish claim. Also been using an electric lawn mower for 10 years, also Chinese made.

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

I bought a battery operated B&D weed whacker/whipper snipper/lawn edger on Lazada about 8 months ago, so it's still under warranty. It's developed a problem either in the switch or a faulty battery, I don't know which, but it runs intermittently and then stops. Problem is the B&D main repair centre is in Samut Prakan and it's going to be a hassle to find a box to send it in, arrange for a courier to collect (and pay for it) when I'd just as soon pay some local repairer who service B&D products.

The boxes are available at any post office. You can pack your tool there and send it for repair. I suppose that's not too difficult.😂

Alternatively ask in you village who can check that. Also the people at Global or Home Pro will know somebody.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

The boxes are available at any post office. You can pack your tool there and send it for repair. I suppose that's not too difficult.😂

Alternatively ask in you village who can check that. Also the people at Global or Home Pro will know somebody.

Alternatively, get Kerry (courier) to come and collect and box it as well.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I had a cheaper model B&W weed whacker previously, it ran faultlessly for 10 years, so I dispute the rubbish claim. Also been using an electric lawn mower for 10 years, also Chinese made.

That was made over 10 years ago, your latest one lasted 8 months, you can dispute as much as you want, 

37 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

That was made over 10 years ago, your latest one lasted 8 months, you can dispute as much as you want, 

Any brand, whether tools, kitchen appliances, cars etc can get the odd lemon or develop a fault. Read any reviews for B&D products, hard to find too many dissatisfied customers, but people used to say Hyundai and Kia were cheap Korean sh*t, not so much anymore.

48 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

B&W have been making products in China for 25 years.

23 hours ago, Denim said:

When you use a bush wacker you blip the throttle rather than just have it on full all the time. 

You have been living in Thailand/Asia too long.🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

You have been living in Thailand/Asia too long.🤔

Local Thai gardener used to drive me mad with his brrr BRMM brr BRMM use of his petrol weed whacker.