TrueMoney blocks foreign Credit/Debit cards from April 24, 2024

41 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's what ATMs are for innit?

I haven't used ATM's or cash for more than 6 months in Thailand. No need when there is cards and apps. I have now added a local debit card to True Money Wallet, so I'm good! 💵

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They have never allowed the use of any debit cards.

Yes they do accept debit cards. I use my Wise card via my Apple wallet in various 7/11 in Thailand. IMG_1207.thumb.png.1dd50ec6a8c46645eea50eb5a75f93cf.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I've spent a short while in and around Mexico City. I was pleasantly surprised by how many people spoke English and how friendly they were.

My other main reason for Mexico is that I'm from California. I want to eventually buy a cabin in the USA to retire to and it's an easy trip to arrange that, but Mexico is a second choice because they won't kick you out with residency. In Thailand I start missing the reports and all that jazz and it puts my visa in jeopardy.

They also have the accessible national healthcare system. How am I going to afford healthcare in Asia (if I can even get it) with premiums going through the roof as I get older, just not be insured?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The main stumbling block that us foreigners encounter when applying are the questions regarding employment. Fine if you are employed but what about those of us who are retired? That's where I and apparently many others got stuck.

Employment is not a requirement to register with TrueMoney!

Why did you only quote the 1st paragraph of my post? I went on to say, in the same post:

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Someone on this forum finally came up with the answer. You call yourself 'unemployed' (technically true) and you give your home address as your work address (a stretch but good enough) It worked and my account was approved in just a couple of hours. 

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Same here.

Not a chance will I use any kind of app on my phone that links to my credit or debit accounts.

You don't have to link your True Money account to any debit or credit card if you don't want to. I don't.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Employment is not a requirement to register with TrueMoney!

Why did you only quote the 1st paragraph of my post? I went on to say, in the same post:

Because that was the sentence that I was responding to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moneyhonour said:

Yes they do accept debit cards. I use my Wise card via my Apple wallet in various 7/11 in Thailand. 

Actual debit cards, which is what I was referring to (as opposed to digital alternatives such as Apple Pay) are not accepted in 7-11s.

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 4:22 PM, Mike Lister said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense since International tourism is dependent on credit card spending.

No tourist need truemoney!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Actual debit cards, which is what I was referring to (as opposed to digital alternatives such as Apple Pay) are not accepted in 7-11s.

Yes they do. I also use my Wise plastic card to scan at the 7/11

Edited by Moneyhonour

3 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

If you say so.  Maybe they have a special arrangement with Wise but, apart from that if it is true, 7-11s in Thailand do not accept physical bank debit cards for payment.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bravo19 said:

Which documents are needed to register for TrueMoney?

Go on to the app and you'll see how to do it but I seem to recall that my passport was the only document required, it was several months ago that I registered.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not true. I used to be able to use my debit card years ago.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, george said:

Thanks for info.

Seems like foreign cards are frowned upon everywhere in the country now. What could be the reason?

Imagine all the potential regulations they may need to comply. Doing business in the west is a struggle and costs are often passed on to the companies, something they aren't interested in doing for foreigners in Thailand. Just a guess.

10 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Imagine all the potential regulations they may need to comply. Doing business in the west is a struggle and costs are often passed on to the companies, something they aren't interested in doing for foreigners in Thailand. Just a guess.

It's dead simple for a company like 7-11 to accept foreign cards. And it's directly contradicted by them supporting foreign credit cards which if anything have slightly more regulations and hassles to handle compared to a debit card.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, thanks.  They do not accept any physical debit cards.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, thanks.  They do not accept any physical debit cards.

Possibly out-dated information. This afternoon I used my U.K. Chase physical debit card by contactless method at 7/11. I can advise that my Mrs told me I had to use it at one machine as the other one (there are only two at the shop we use) wouldn't accept it.

18 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Can confirm. Have been using mine (physical U.K.) continuously at 7/11 since September 2022.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

My other main reason for Mexico is that I'm from California. I want to eventually buy a cabin in the USA to retire to and it's an easy trip to arrange that, but Mexico is a second choice because they won't kick you out with residency. In Thailand I start missing the reports and all that jazz and it puts my visa in jeopardy.

They also have the accessible national healthcare system. How am I going to afford healthcare in Asia (if I can even get it) with premiums going through the roof as I get older, just not be insured?

Thank you for the information. Both very important considerations.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:07 PM, JimTripper said:

I never really wanted to stay indefinately in Thailand. I put off getting an account because it was not absolutely necessary, still isn't. Same with the driver's license. 

I opened a Bangkok Bank account within my first couple of visits to Thailand and maintain a balance for the various annual fees and registered for online banking so can control my account from the UK. Also comes in handy transferring funds to Thailand for holidays, i.e. no fees to draw cash from ATM and useful for domestic online/offline payments (I'm using the QR route regularly for larger payments when we're here).  

I'm in no need of a driving licence, particularly as my Thai wife has one (we live in UK majority of year and she renews her licence just prior to the five year expiration when we're over here along with her motorbike licence), but good advice by previous poster to get one if you're a driver.

Edited by torturedsole
  • Agree 1

On 5/1/2024 at 10:11 AM, george said:

Thanks for info.

Seems like foreign cards are frowned upon everywhere in the country now. What could be the reason?

What an absolute bunch of nonsense. Foreign cards can generally be used anywhere a local card is accepted. Visa/Mastercard all use the same network.

You seem to be making things up now.

Here's a hint: wherever you see a visa/Mastercard/JCB/UnionPay/Amex symbol, those cards are accepted. Generally the first two are best followed by UnionPay. Amex and JCB are usually only accepted by large supermarket chains, hotels and high end restaurants.

If you do NOT see such a sign it probably means cards aren't accepted, no matter where they are issued. 

The thing about Thailand is that it's still largely cash based with only larger businesses generally accepting cards. Small merchants have in the last few years added QR code payments, which I hate, but these may come in handy in case you've run out of physical cash and there are no ATMs around.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:

One of the things i like is not getting more change and coins

Get a bigger wallet. At least the Baht doesn't use as many coins as are used in Switzerland, where for some inexplicable reason they decided already decades ago to make the 5 Franc denomination a coin rather than a note meaning you'll end up with huge chunks of change almost every time you buy something unless the value of the transaction is to the nearest 10 Francs.

17 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

What an absolute bunch of nonsense. Foreign cards can generally be used anywhere a local card is accepted. Visa/Mastercard all use the same network.

You seem to be making things up now.

Here's a hint: wherever you see a visa/Mastercard/JCB/UnionPay/Amex symbol, those cards are accepted. Generally the first two are best followed by UnionPay. Amex and JCB are usually only accepted by large supermarket chains, hotels and high end restaurants.

If you do NOT see such a sign it probably means cards aren't accepted, no matter where they are issued. 

The thing about Thailand is that it's still largely cash based with only larger businesses generally accepting cards. Small merchants have in the last few years added QR code payments, which I hate, but these may come in handy in case you've run out of physical cash and there are no ATMs around.

Not nonsense. I'm not talking about using physical cards at 7-11 locations. I'm talking about using cards via the TrueMoney Wallet app, which from April 24, 2024 doesn't accept foreign credit or debit cards, please read my OP. I'm using the app mostly for 7-11 delivery.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I opened a Bangkok Bank account within my first couple of visits to Thailand and maintain a balance for the various annual fees and registered for online banking so can control my account from the UK. Also comes in handy transferring funds to Thailand for holidays, i.e. no fees to draw cash from ATM and useful for domestic online/offline payments (I'm using the QR route regularly for larger payments when we're here).  

I'm in no need of a driving licence, particularly as my Thai wife has one (we live in UK majority of year and she renews her licence just prior to the five year expiration when we're over here along with her motorbike licence), but good advice by previous poster to get one if you're a driver.

I forgot to add that several of my interactions with bank staff have been less then pleasant, so that's a big reason I never opened an account.

Sounds crazy to 'one off' on a couple interactions, but that's how I feel. Not somewhere I would want my 800k sitting if there was a problem.

I still go into the branch to pay rent to the landlord. I actually would advise US citizens to get a thai account. They freeze US accounts these days if it looks like you don't have a real US address so you don't want to get caught out. If you had the 800k in a thai account that's good backup money in an emergency.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Which is a totally different thing. 

A credit card is a physical card. I'm not interested in the truemoney wallet or any electronic wallet. I use cash most of the time and credit or debit cards when I'm out of cash or if it's a high value purchase. 

You're making your life overly complicated. Just go to an ATM and withdraw cash. Paying for low value items using anything other than cash is ridiculous. 

I'd be embarrassed to pay for a coffee with anything but cash.

As mentioned above, I don't use cash anymore, haven't used it for approx 6 months or so.

Most PromptPay these days, and card for online purchases, plus an excellent Revolut account.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:53 PM, Moneyhonour said:

When did you used Wise plastic at 7-Eleven. Before or after April 24?

On 5/1/2024 at 5:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:

One of the things i like is not getting more change and coins

Are you serious? Having some coins in your pocket distresses you? A lot of things seem to stress you out. Are you OK?

Here's a tip. Keep the coins in your pocket and spend them the next time you shop. 7Eleven staff are more than happy to take them off your hands. If you learn this simple method you can keep the coins in your pocket to an absolute minimum.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, SportRider said:

Revolut is great.  Multiple accounts in any currency you like.  Instant creation of electronic debit cards and link to any currency.  Make 'burner' cards for one-time online purchases. 

Add a card to Google Wallet. 

So to answer the question - tap my phone. 😄😄

That is interesting.  I need to get out of my cave in the sticks and see what electronic transactions are available here.  I opened a another KTB account and keep less than 20k in it for online purchases. BTW - this internet thing is also cool.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Which is a totally different thing. 

A credit card is a physical card. I'm not interested in the truemoney wallet or any electronic wallet. I use cash most of the time and credit or debit cards when I'm out of cash or if it's a high value purchase. 

You're making your life overly complicated. Just go to an ATM and withdraw cash. Paying for low value items using anything other than cash is ridiculous. 

I'd be embarrassed to pay for a coffee with anything but cash.

Using cash is overly complicated if you have your phone with you.  A 100 baht electronic payment is clean and simple.  The local vendors seem to like it.  In many cases they beg you to to avoid dirty cash and locating change for your bills.

Simplicity is king but I get why some enjoy swapping dirty bills.  They are comfortable with what they have always done.  Bet that British man that slapped the taxi driver over a 100 baht bill and was taken into custody wishes he would have gone the simple electronic route.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1