Google Pixel 5....what happens after guaranteed security update period?

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't want or am interested in newer updates, I will be happy if I have the latest / last updates before security updates have expired.

Do these factory security updates include latest Android updates that were available before updates ceased or do I get them separately?

Yes again, if you factory reset and then use the phones update mechanism you will get it to the latest version that was published by Google for this device. That's for the Android version as well as security updates. The updates that were already published don't expire, Google just stops publishing newer ones. Hope that's clear enough.

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Please explain how the AV on Android will prevent an exploit in the UBS, Bluetooth or whatever stack from being used.

Please explain your previous nonsense: "Antivirus software on mobile is mostly snakeoil. They can't prevent the software of the OS from being exploited. Only if you install some malware might it maybe potentially possibly do something. I wouldn't bother."

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't want or am interested in newer updates, I will be happy if I have the latest / last updates before security updates have expired.

Do these factory security updates include latest Android updates that were available before updates ceased or do I get them separately?

For Pixel 5 final Android update and security update was October 2023

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-a-g-pixel-pixel-a-g-pixel-a-pixel-xl-pixel

Some Brands such as Samsung on their  latest  Galaxy A models offer 4 years of OS updates and 5 years worth of security updates 

Android updates and security updates start from when the phone was released for sale not from the date phone was purchased

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

For Pixel 5 final Android update and security update was October 2023

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-a-g-pixel-pixel-a-g-pixel-a-pixel-xl-pixel

Some Brands such as Samsung on their  latest  Galaxy A models offer 4 years of OS updates and 5 years worth of security updates 

Android updates and security updates start from when the phone was released for sale not from the date phone was purchased

Oct 2023 was the official end of updates. From what I read there was a final "surprise" update in Feb this year that also included Android 14

I ended up going for a Pixel 6A for 1500 baht more. over a year newer and will get updates until 2027 and possibly OS updated to Android 15 when its released (officially upgradable to 14). They are beta testing this phone with Android 15 now. Thanks all for the advice

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Anyone have an older phone can't use banking apps?

I have Huawei GR5 2017 (stopped updating it's operating system at Android version 7) as my back-up mobile. Can't instal Chase UK banking app because it requires mininum Android version 8.1. No option of web based browser access. Not verified this myself but have read that rooting/jailbreaking prevents installation of banking apps.