Google Pixel 5....what happens after guaranteed security update period?

Posted (edited)

Hi all, about to buy a used Pixel 5, very good price and like new. I am happy with mediocre performance, only use it as a phone and basic surfing etc, no games or anything.

Mainly interested in the camera. Cant justify spending large amounts on a new phone and phone under 10k usually have pretty awful cameras. This one should fit me perfectly 

I see everyone makes a bit of noise about security update periods, this particular phone probably out of time period already.

What does it mean?

Are security updates about software bug fixes to the phone system / OS itself?

If I factory reset the phone will I be at least be able to update system etc to the last / latest security update?

If I factory rest the phone am I going to be able to upgrade to latest Android system? Any help appreciated

Edited by Kenny202

Just now, eisfeld said:

Security updates fix bugs in the OS and built-in software. You will not be able to update no matter if you factory reset or not after the vendor stops issueing updates for your phone.

The only way to upgrade to a newer version would be to root it and install a custom distribution like Lineage OS https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/redfin/

Really? It wont search for the latest / last system bug fix etc? So I am better off not factory resetting? Or does factory reset not alter the state of the OS and leaves the latest security updates in place?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Really? It wont search for the latest / last system bug fix etc? So I am better off not factory resetting? Or does factory reset not alter the state of the OS and leaves the latest security updates in place?

It will look for updates but it wont see any available because Google will stop issueing updates. Factory reset will remove security updates. You can then update again to whatever state it is right now. You don't gain anything in terms of security updates by doing a factory reset. When Google stops issueing updates for the Pixel 5 then the only way to get newer security updates is to install another Android distribution as I said previously.

Edited by eisfeld

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

It will look for updates but it wont see any available because Google will stop issueing updates. Factory reset will remove security updates. You can then update again to whatever state it is right now. You don't gain anything in terms of security updates by doing a factory reset. When Google stops issueing updates for the Pixel 5 then the only wait to get newer security updates is to install another Android distribution as I said previously.

Sorry, really don't understand what you are saying. I am not looking to gain anything, only reset the phone for a fresh start or maybe the seller has already factory reset the phone. I always do when selling a phone.

I know they have stopped issuing NEW security updates but I would have thought they would have made the previous / latest ones still available should someone want them. I assume when you factory reset the phone goes back to its initial state that it left the factory. There may have been 10 bug fixes / updates since then. So are you saying I will be stuck with the original set up?

Whats confusing me (with all respect) is you say Factory reset will remove all security updates, then you can update to whatever state it is in now....which I assume to mean including all and last available updates. 

Reason I am concerned is I believe there was a little overheat issue and a couple of camera bug fixes that were sorted out in the first few security updates. Why I want to be sure I can at least get to the last available updates. I don't care about future updates....only the ones up until the security update period expires.

If I need to hack or root the phone or do other stuff probably wont buy it. Thanks so much for your help

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I know they have stopped issuing NEW security updates but I would have thought they would have made the previous / latest ones still available should someone want them. I assume when you factory reset the phone goes back to its initial state that it left the factory. There may have been 10 bug fixes / updates since then. So are you saying I will be stuck with the original set up?

No I said after you factory reset you can update again to whatever the current state is.

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Whats confusing me (with all respect) is you say Factory reset will remove all security updates, then you can update to whatever state it is in now....which I assume to mean including all and last available updates. 

Yes, nothing confusing about it. You factory reset to... factory state and then update to whatever update was last released.

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Reason I am concerned is I believe there was a little overheat issue and a couple of camera bug fixes that were sorted out in the first few security updates. Why I want to be sure I can at least get to the last available updates. I don't care about future updates....only the ones up until the security update period expires.

Then you should be fine. Your initial post spoke about the guaranteed time for security updates and it sounded like you were interested in receiving the latest Android security updates. If you are not interested in those then you have nothing to worry about. Buy it, factory reset it and then update to the last update that was made available for the Pixel 5.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, eisfeld said:

No I said after you factory reset you can update again to whatever the current state is.

Yes, nothing confusing about it. You factory reset to... factory state and then update to whatever update was last released.

Then you should be fine. Your initial post spoke about the guaranteed time for security updates and it sounded like you were interested in receiving the latest Android security updates. If you are not interested in those then you have nothing to worry about. Buy it, factory reset it and then update to the last update that was made available for the Pixel 5.

Thanks so much, that's all I was worried about that I couldn't at least get the last and previously available updates to at least get it up to date now. Not so concerned about future updates....from what I can gather any initial bugs were ironed out early. The last and probably final updates was Feb this year I think. Thank you so much for your time 🙂

security updates and latest android version are really required for online banking, if you don't do that on the phone you can continue to use web browser for a few years after it's no longer supported.

the lack of distributor in Thailand and parts availability is more of a problem 

Does the ability to use phone banking here really finish when security updates finish? Anyone have an older phone can't use banking apps? My wife has an older Oppo Reno 2 I think last security update 2021 and still working ok with all the bank apps

Unless you are buying the phone for 1000 Baht don't bother.. And even then just for emails and Line etc.

Plenty of lower end models available for 4-5000 with latest software and security updates for the next 3-4 years.

Just now, bobbin said:

Unless you are buying the phone for 1000 Baht don't bother.. And even then just for emails and Line etc.

Plenty of lower end models available for 4-5000 with latest software and security updates for the next 3-4 years.

Problem is I need a really decent camera for business purposes and even 10000 wont buy that. I got good cameras too but for inside stuff without lighting etc you cant beat a good phone camera. Thus I have to compromise. I see people on forums talking like 2-3yo phones, TV's or electronics are ancient and how could you even consider these things. We have made a rod for our own backs these last 20 or 30 years. Things like cars and electronics used to be revered for their reliability and long life. That's why we paid more. We have been brainwashed into thinking everything is a fashion accessory / status symbol now that is obsolete soon after buying, nearly an embarrassment to have. It's quite unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

Problem is I need a really decent camera for business purposes and even 10000 wont buy that. I got good cameras too but for inside stuff without lighting etc you cant beat a good phone camera. Thus I have to compromise. I see people on forums talking like 2-3yo phones, TV's or electronics are ancient and how could you even consider these things. We have made a rod for our own backs these last 20 or 30 years. Things like cars and electronics used to be revered for their reliability and long life. That's why we paid more. We have been brainwashed into thinking everything is a fashion accessory / status symbol now that is obsolete soon after buying, nearly an embarrassment to have. It's quite unbelievable. 

The tech is new enough that it's constantly getting better.. Not a conspiracy.

Buy a Xiaomi phone. 10,000 will get you a good camera. 13,000 will get you a great camera phone.

Pixels of any model are not common in Thailand..

29 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

If you use the phone for business purposes then why not spend a few thousand baht more and get a new decent phone?

For 10k you get a new Samung Galaxy A54 which seems to have a pretty decent camera.

Or how about a second hand more recent iPhone? Great cameras and better updates.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

No, you should update your phone security setting.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Does the ability to use phone banking here really finish when security updates finish? Anyone have an older phone can't use banking apps? My wife has an older Oppo Reno 2 I think last security update 2021 and still working ok with all the bank apps

It might be working alright from you point of view but it isn't secure at all.

So this phone came out with Android 11, updatable to Android 14. Can I still do Android updates independently after security updates have ceased?

Are they a separate thing to security updates that you download direct from Google or are Android updates provided with factory security updates?

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Absolute BS, no security updates means you are vulnerable.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

No, it doesn't , you are vulnerable for hacks.

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If you use the phone for business purposes then why not spend a few thousand baht more and get a new decent phone?

For 10k you get a new Samung Galaxy A54 which seems to have a pretty decent camera.

Or how about a second hand more recent iPhone? Great cameras and better updates.

Your camera has nothing to do with security.

So this phone came out with Android 11, updatable to Android 14. If the phone has been factory reset can I still do Android updates independently after security updates have ceased?

Are they a separate thing to security updates that you download direct from Google or are Android updates provided with factory security updates?

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

So this phone came out with Android 11, updatable to Android 14. If the phone has been factory reset can I still do Android updates independently after security updates have ceased?

Your phone will have a security settings part, use automatic updates there. Anyone telling you different doesn't have clue (40+ years in IT and a lot of security experience).

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Absolute BS, no security updates means you are vulnerable.

That is his choice if he is not interested in security updates. Nothing what I said is BS.

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your camera has nothing to do with security.

Never said that it does. What are you on about?

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Even with AVG installed?

Antivirus software on mobile is mostly snakeoil. They can't prevent the software of the OS from being exploited. Only if you install some malware might it maybe potentially possibly do something. I wouldn't bother.

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your phone will have a security settings part, use automatic updates there. Anyone telling you different doesn't have clue (40+ years in IT and a lot of security experience).

Automatic updates doesn't help much when the vendor doesn't publish updates for the device anymore.

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Google publishes updates for each device which you get usually OTA (over the air) via the built in updater. Once Google stops publishing these updates the only way to get newer updates is via a custom distribution. You can't separately download newer security or OS updates and install them after the vendor stopped publishing them.

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Antivirus software on mobile is mostly snakeoil. They can't prevent the software of the OS from being exploited. Only if you install some malware might it maybe potentially possibly do something. I wouldn't bother.

Nonsense again, a good antivirus program will improve your security when being updated all the time.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Google publishes updates for each device which you get usually OTA (over the air) via the built in updater. Once Google stops publishing these updates the only way to get newer updates is via a custom distribution. You can't separately download newer security or OS updates and install them after the vendor stopped publishing them.

I don't want or am interested in newer updates, I will be happy if I have the latest / last updates before security updates have expired.

Do these factory security updates include latest Android updates that were available before updates ceased or do I get them separately?

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nonsense again, a good antivirus program will improve your security when being updated all the time.

Please explain how the AV on Android will prevent an exploit in the UBS, Bluetooth or whatever stack from being used.