Chemical store blaze in Ayutthaya triggers evacuation of hospital and local community

main-2.png

A fire broke out yesterday evening in a warehouse storing hazardous chemicals and industrial waste in Ayutthaya's Phachi district. As a result, patients from the local hospital and residents in the area had to be evacuated.

During the fire, frequent explosions were heard and thick black smoke was seen billowing up into the sky from Phachi sub-district's Village 2. Local authorities in Phachi recommended that locals stay outside and wear face masks.

The Governor of Ayutthaya directed the relocation of roughly 40 in-patients from Phachi Hospital to other medical facilities in the province. Fire trucks fitted with chemical foam and firefighters trained in handling chemical fires were deployed from Suphan Buri to help contain the fire.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, the Secretary of Public Health, mentioned that an emergency center had been established by the Ayutthaya provincial health office. The center will assist patients dealing with chemical smoke inhalation or burns from the chemical fire. However, no injuries have been reported thus far.

Jullapong Thaveesri, Director-General of the Industrial Works Department, highlighted that another warehouse close by houses around 3,000 tons of chemicals, solvents, and industrial waste. He stressed on the importance of preventing the fire from reaching that warehouse.

Photo courtesy of Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

“The fire at an unlicensed factory in Ayutthaya's Phachi District, which illegally stored industrial waste, was intentionally started to cover up evidence of wrongdoing, said Jullapong Thaveesri, the director-general of the Department of Industrial Works.

Jullapong said the factory operated without a license and had been illegally storing 4,000 tonnes of industrial waste, including spent hydrochloric acid and other dangerous chemicals, in five warehouses.

The same factory had previously caught fire on February 29 before the recent incident, which started around 18:00 yesterday and was extinguished around 02:00 last night.

Authorities suspect that the fire was started by incendiary devices. These devices are made of plastic container, with a cement bottom containing gasoline, with a fuse consisting of a firecracker attached to incense sticks. Additionally, a bottle containing aluminium powder was found inside one of the burnt-down warehouses, which could enhance the effectiveness of incendiary devices“

Also seems that this fire may be linked to the incident in Rayong.

“On 23 April 2024 after the fire incident at a chemical factory in Rayong, Ms. Pimpattra Wichaikul, Minister of Industry, mentioned that it might be connected to the factory where a previous fire occurred in Phachi District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province.

When asked about the connection between the two fires, and whether or not it was the destruction of evidence. Ms. Pimphattra stated that the two were linked in the matter of the factory owner and the possible burning to destroy evidence, but in this matter, it is better to wait for the conclusion from the police.”

IMG_2589.jpeg

IMG_2588.jpeg

IMG_2587.png

• Sad 1

There was also an unrelated fire in Ayutthaya, on 30 April.

Fire occurred at a latex mattress factory in Bang Sai District, Ayutthaya., with it spreading throughout the factory. Reported loss/damages of 40 million baht.

Been a few large, factories fires in the last week.

IMG_2562.jpeg

IMG_2563.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

Thai media reported.

“May 2, 2024, Mr. Chai Watcharong, spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office, revealed that Mr. Settha Thaweesin, Prime Minister, ordered all units to support fire extinguishing and alleviate the fire situation at the chemical warehouse in the area of Phachi District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, including checking for chemical residues and evacuate nearby people. He ordered the provincial governor to be the team leader and help take care of the people.

A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office revealed that the Prime Minister had given him a work plan. Divide into teams to solve the situation, extinguish fires, spray water to absorb chemicals, check for chemical residue and provide assistance to nearby people.

While at 10:00 a.m. on the same day, Mr. Niwat Rungsakhon, Governor of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province went to the area to closely monitor the situation on the 2nd day, ordering to check the weather conditions and using drones to measure the temperature in the area. And to control the situation as quickly as possible and coordinate with the Royal Irrigation Department to request opening of drainage to disaster relief officials in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province.

Responders are using remote fire truck to pump water. and a 90 meter ladder truck to spray from the top down on to the fires in warehouse 4-5,. There are many types of chemicals inside the warehouse. and it contains concentrated corrosive substances, which is making it difficult for officials on the ground level.

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation and there was found to be 35 people evacuated, 17 sent home, and 18 sent to nearby hospitals, Tha Ruea Hospital 8, Uthai Hospital 3, and Somdet Phra Sangkharat Hospital 7.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

God beware that there are coming nuclear plants in Thailand

Think there is a big difference between international nuclear energy regulations/inspections, and the back street unregulated chemical waste factories.

Thailand has been doing nuclear research for many years. Originally the utilisation of nuclear energy in Thailand was under the regulation by the Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP)

For more than 60 years, the Office of Atoms for Peace laid the foundation for the research and development on nuclear energy in Thailand, until the issuance of the Royal Decree establish the Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology or TINT in 2006. , As a result of this TINT is responsible for nuclear research and development, OAP plays the role of authority to regulate the utilisation of nuclear and radiation in Thailand.

The first Thai research reactor when critical on 27 October 1962 and was operated until 1977.

https://www.tint.or.th/en/nuclear/Research Reactor

Thai nuclear research reactor at Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology.

IMG_2591.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Think there is a big difference between international nuclear energy regulations/inspections, and the back street unregulated chemical waste factories.

Thailand has been doing nuclear research for many years. Originally the utilisation of nuclear energy in Thailand was under the regulation by the Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP)

For more than 60 years, the Office of Atoms for Peace laid the foundation for the research and development on nuclear energy in Thailand, until the issuance of the Royal Decree establish the Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology or TINT in 2006. , As a result of this TINT is responsible for nuclear research and development, OAP plays the role of authority to regulate the utilisation of nuclear and radiation in Thailand.

The first Thai research reactor when critical on 27 October 1962 and was operated until 1977.

https://www.tint.or.th/en/nuclear/Research Reactor

Thai nuclear research reactor at Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology.

IMG_2591.jpeg

I think I always drive by the main office near don muang airport on the way to lad prao, on the left side of the road. I always wondered already why they had that place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

.....and a 90 meter ladder truck .....

Are there any images available of this vehicle?

Sorry, but I think the thai media quote is wrong, it is a 32 m, about 100 foot, ALP (aerial ladder platform) and is from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) which is part of the Ministry of Interior From the pictures it looks like a Bronto Skylift F32.

Those ALPs have a working height of 32 metres; the articulated boom can also work at 5 metres below ground level, plus the cage has a working load of 325kg

Bronto do make a ALP up to 112 m.

Pictures of the DDPM ALPs below, and the final picture is the 112 m from Bronto.

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but I think the thai media quote is wrong, it is a 32 m, about 100 foot, ALP (aerial ladder platform) and is from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) which is part of the Ministry of Interior From the pictures it looks like a Bronto Skylift F32.

Those ALPs have a working height of 32 metres; the articulated boom can also work at 5 metres below ground level, plus the cage has a working load of 325kg

Bronto do make a ALP up to 112 m.

Pictures of the DDPM ALPs below, and the final picture is the 112 m from Bronto.

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

Thanks George. It's easy to get metres and Imperial Feet measurements confused.....(!)

That last pic of yours is scary. I cant imagine it navigating Bangkok sois.

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thanks George. It's easy to get metres and Imperial Feet measurements confused.....(!)

That last pic of yours is scary. I cant imagine it navigating Bangkok sois.

I should have picked up the measurement was wrong in the translation, as it clearly was only a 32m ALP, which is probably the most commonly appliance used in the UK, where I am from. Maybe the reporter was told incorrectly, or got it wrong or it was lost in the translation 

I believe the largest available ALP in Thailand is 64m, I have never seen anything larger. These ladders are not cheap, in 2021 London Fire Service bought in 3 new appliances with 64m reach, after the Grenfell Tower fire, at a cost of 3.75 million pounds.

In addition to the road access problems, for any ALPs, in many narrow Bangkok Sois, the other issue is getting the outriggers deployed, so that a level stable platform is provided. The built in automatic safety systems prevent the ladder being fully extended, if these outriggers are not fully deployed.

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

I should have picked up the measurement was wrong in the translation, as it clearly was only a 32m ALP, which is probably the most commonly appliance used in the UK, where I am from. Maybe the reporter was told incorrectly, or got it wrong or it was lost in the translation 

I believe the largest available ALP in Thailand is 64m, I have never seen anything larger. These ladders are not cheap, in 2021 London Fire Service bought in 3 new appliances with 64m reach, after the Grenfell Tower fire, at a cost of 3.75 million pounds.

In addition to the road access problems, for any ALPs, in many narrow Bangkok Sois, the other issue is getting the outriggers deployed, so that a level stable platform is provided. The built in automatic safety systems prevent the ladder being fully extended, if these outriggers are not fully deployed.

I have some experience with off-road cranes in the Middle East and with untrained operators who ignore or disable those irritating safety devices. 😀

21 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I have some experience with off-road cranes in the Middle East and with untrained operators who ignore or disable those irritating safety devices. 😀

Maybe impossible to stop some people trying to disable systems, but I have found with the Bronto Skylift, if your in the cage you want everything to be safe.

Bronto Skylifts are designed with cage load and proximity sensors that detect the load in the cage and nearby objects. 

They also features two built-in emergency built in descent systems, have cage-weight ratings and platform auto levelling, so the whole time you’re in the cage and manoeuvring the booms, the platform is actually staying level to the ground at all times.

There is wind speed sensor (anemometer) in the cage, audible alarm will sound if the wind speeds are higher than 31 mph, 50 kmph.

The firefighting systems and, if fitted, cameras, in the cage can all be operated automatically from the ground, so it can be used as a water tower or observation platform, without exposing anyone to any risks.

• Thumbs Up 1

The government are trying to be proactive, by giving general basic advice, after the recent chemical incidents.

Just wonder how many people will even see this DDPM (Department of Disaster Prevention and Migration) safety leaflet.

Thai translation by me.

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_2635.jpeg