Sending Money to the UK from a Thai Bank Account

Hi All

Is it possible to send money from a Thai Bank account to a UK bank account ? Has anyone tried it, are there crazy charges or really poor exchange rates ? or is it as simple as sending money from the UK to Thailand TIA for any replies

10 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

You are not allowed to send THB, any funds must be in the currency of the destination account..

So its not possible to use the Transfer service on my Kbank app ?

51 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

So its not possible to use the Transfer service on my Kbank app ?

I don't know about the apps but I do know that THB is a restricted currency that cannot be exported as THB, it must be converted first in the currency of the receiving country.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2024 at 3:06 PM, Mike Lister said:

I don't know about the apps but I do know that THB is a restricted currency that cannot be exported as THB, it must be converted first in the currency of the receiving country.

What you state is true.

The  work around is that should you wish to expatriate Thai Baht -then the Thai Baht does not leave  Thailand.

Such as DEE money will have an arrangement with   a UK bank . That UK bank will transfer the money to your UK account.

Money coming the other way will balance things I (assume)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies the original query was about transferring funds from Thailand to UK in an emergency, I popped into the Kbank branch and asked the deputy manager (via google translate) she seemed to think i could do it on the app without much hassle i might try 100 quid and see what happens  

1 minute ago, LoeiI said:

Thanks for the replies the original query was about transferring funds from Thailand to UK in an emergency, I popped into the Kbank branch and asked the deputy manager (via google translate) she seemed to think i could do it on the app without much hassle i might try 100 quid and see what happens  

Just as a quick aside is it easy enough to get a Thai credit card ? as the reason I use my uk account is to pay my uk credit card bill when i book a flight  TIA

22 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Just as a quick aside is it easy enough to get a Thai credit card ? as the reason I use my uk account is to pay my uk credit card bill when i book a flight  TIA

The answer is NO.  If they do allow you to apply, then you must have the card maximum credit limit amount in a permanent deposit acount(untouchable unless you cancel the card, although you will accrue some small interest)

"eg" if your card credit limit is 200k, then you must deposit 200k as above. 

Obviously 'Debit cards' are easy to get and just your bank account covers transactions.

• Thanks 1