What part of Asia are people more friendly?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I really related to that thread in here about Thailand being less friendly 

But as we have Cambodian expats, Philippines expats and all other ASIAN expats NOT just Thailand on here please tell me about your experiences in other places 

Look I'm going to be honest with you.

I found Filipino guys more "aggressive" and dominate than other ASEAN countries but they weren't RUDE and most had sense if humour unlike im finding with Thai people nowadays 

The Filipino women were ok although dominant too but they all had laughter and sense of humour 

Malaysia was great , friendly polite people with great manners 

You just had a thread about you wish people would leave you alone and never talk to you, now you want to know where more friendly people are... you on and off your meds????

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Laos is a miserable <deleted>hole.  Almost all of the Filipino teachers I have met are nasty little cretins.  Cambodia doesn't have roads.  I guess when you put it like that Thailand is up there on the list of friendly places.

Do roads make people more friendly?

14 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Laos is a miserable <deleted>hole.  Almost all of the Filipino teachers I have met are nasty little cretins.  Cambodia doesn't have roads.  I guess when you put it like that Thailand is up there on the list of friendly places.

Yes, I have been in Laos many many many times and only reason I stopped coming are the people. Every time I crossed their border back I felt reenergized by interacting with other people. Laos is a very beautiful country, more beautiful than Thailand. But I have no intention to visit it again only because of the people. Thai people are the most friendly people on my list.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

You just had a thread about you wish people would leave you alone and never talk to you, now you want to know where more friendly people are... you on and off your meds????

For a man who only joined the forum a few months ago you seem to "know it all " 

4 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Yes, I have been in Laos many many many times and only reason I stopped coming are the people. Every time I crossed their border back I felt reenergized by interacting with other people. Laos is a very beautiful country, more beautiful than Thailand. But I have no intention to visit it again only because of the people. Thai people are the most friendly people on my list.

You didn't like the Laos people?

Why not ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hwas said:

Do you speak Thai or is your communicating with Thais related to bar girls speaking broken English?  Do you have normal, middle to upper class Thai friends?  If you cannot speak Thai, how do you know whether they have a sense of humor?  I have found Thais to have a great sense of humor, however, I am able to joke with them in Thai

Agreed. Thais are very open if you speak the language. And they like cracking jokes, laughing and Karaoke🎤 

On 5/5/2024 at 9:31 AM, hwas said:

Do you speak Thai or is your communicating with Thais related to bar girls speaking broken English?  Do you have normal, middle to upper class Thai friends?  If you cannot speak Thai, how do you know whether they have a sense of humor?  I have found Thais to have a great sense of humor, however, I am able to joke with them in Thai

Wow,

So, you can speak, understand and joke in Thai, as well as having upper class Thai friends who you converse with in Thai?

Amazing!

I am constantly in awe of this board and its members, by the amount of Thai speakers married to upper class Thais, who also have great jobs, usually running hospitals, (maybe owning them) and have brothers that are Generals in the military or police.

Imagine that, all that influence and power from a tiny nondescript AN forum, who would have thought it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back on topic,

I have found Cambodians to be very friendly and wanting little in return.

The Vietnamese are great once you get past the language barrier and know them for a few months or visit regularly,( Google Translate and plenty of joking warms them, or capturing their interest) otherwise they are polite and formal, which can come across as cold.

Thais on the streets are OK, far better up in the sticks, where they are more genuine, anybody in a tourist hotspot is treated as a potential mark/client/customer and the smiles are false.

Singaporeans run around speaking American dialects and have a generally superior and formal attitude, and 90% seem to be short or long-sighted as they all wear spectacles, (must be in the genes).

Malaysians can be hit-and-miss as there are so many different types of Malaysian, the Sino Malay, Indian Malay etc.

The Nepalese that I have had limited encounters with, have been very nice to deal with.

Japanese people, I have never got past being addressed and responding formally.

Chinese, I may have met the wrong ones, I'll leave it at that.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Japanese people, I have never got past being addressed and responding formally.

My wife's big boss is Japanese. They work hard and play harder. She is constantly invited to dinners with top brass, but that is because they respect her as she is a hard worker. Perhaps they don't want to do anything to do with you because you do nothing and are just oogling women from poor countries which pretend to be friendly to you.

Edited by Celsius
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Taco said:

In my opinion top 3 most friendly

1 Nepal

2 Cambodia

3 Thailand 

Personally I would put Vietnam number one

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Of the Asia countries I've lived in, the friendliest are:

1. Japan

2. Vietnam

3. Philippines

4. Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Qatar 

5. Thailand

6. China

7. South Korea

8. Kuwait

Edited by Furioso

On 5/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I really related to that thread in here about Thailand being less friendly 

But as we have Cambodian expats, Philippines expats and all other ASIAN expats NOT just Thailand on here please tell me about your experiences in other places 

Look I'm going to be honest with you.

I found Filipino guys more "aggressive" and dominate than other ASEAN countries but they weren't RUDE and most had sense if humour unlike im finding with Thai people nowadays 

The Filipino women were ok although dominant too but they all had laughter and sense of humour 

Malaysia was great , friendly polite people with great manners 

I lived in Thailand and now reside in Cambodia (Siem ReaP). IMO the Khmer people are much friendlier and much more helpful than the Thais. During my travels, and pre-Junta, I also found the Burmese people charming and very friendly.  The Laotians and Vietnamese not so friendly.

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

My wife's big boss is Japanese. They work hard and play harder. She is constantly invited to dinners with top brass, but that is because they respect her as she is a hard worker. Perhaps they don't want to do anything to do with you because you do nothing and are just oogling women from poor countries which pretend to be friendly to you.

Wrong again.

I neither go to girly or go go bars nor ogle women and have been with my current partner happily for 27 years.

So perhaps you keep your judgemental posts to yourself when you know absolutely nothing.

Have you been drinking on an empty head?

You should stay off the computer until you have something sensible to say if that's the case.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Wrong again.

I neither go to girly or go go bars nor ogle women and have been with my current partner happily for 27 years.

So perhaps you keep your judgemental posts to yourself when you know absolutely nothing.

Have you been drinking on an empty head?

You should stay off the computer until you have something sensible to say if that's the case.

Nothing judgemental.

Here we have someone yet again claiming villages are real Thailand where women are friendlier.

People in big cities are mostly on the clock. God forbid they get out of their way, forget their daily worries just so you can get a fake smile.

• Confused 1