Is it possible to apply to a different visa from a country that's not your HOME country?

Hi 👋😉
I'd like to do the following:

- Enter on a tourist visa, multiple entry . Use the time to find a condo, etc.
-"Switch" to an investor visa, elite visa, retiree visa, etc. Depending on what's possible - financially i can afford any of these.

BUT -
1. is this allowed? And would I need to move out of the country before 'switching' visas?

2. And if i'm NOT in the country,  does it imply i should be in MY home country (the UK&France) or can I apply from ANY other country (i'm thinking vietnam)

The reason I ask is that I don't have 'home base' the moment i leave for SEA, so I have to plan my moves very carefully. I have lived in the PI for a long time so travelling around SAE doesn't scare me, but getting 'stuck' does :)

Cheers!

I am not that knowledgable but I think it would help the guys in the know if you could provide some more details.

For example your age, you talk about retiree visa but that is age related so if you disclose your age that would help.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Stevie559 said:

Hi 👋😉
I'd like to do the following:

- Enter on a tourist visa, multiple entry . Use the time to find a condo, etc.
-"Switch" to an investor visa, elite visa, retiree visa, etc. Depending on what's possible - financially i can afford any of these.

BUT -
1. is this allowed? And would I need to move out of the country before 'switching' visas?

2. And if i'm NOT in the country,  does it imply i should be in MY home country (the UK&France) or can I apply from ANY other country (i'm thinking vietnam)

The reason I ask is that I don't have 'home base' the moment i leave for SEA, so I have to plan my moves very carefully. I have lived in the PI for a long time so travelling around SAE doesn't scare me, but getting 'stuck' does :)

Cheers!

Whats an investor visa in Thailand and since you can financially afford it Im guessing you know the requirements?  

Every visa has different requirements but I know with the elite visa you dont need to leave the country. 

Edited by Startmeup

The basic answer to the question is YES.  You can enter visa exempt or tourist and convert to a non-O in country then extend .  Or enter non-O and extend.  If you have the cash (in a Thai bank account) ought to be relatively easy, if not that's a hurdle relatively easy to overcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevie559 said:

The reason I ask is that I don't have 'home base' the moment i leave for SEA, so I have to plan my moves very carefully.

You don't need a home base.

The question you ask is too open.

You can obtain a non O based on retirement from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Many threads on this.

Seems you might be eligible for a LTV which is relatively new.

You also state that you can afford an PE (elite) visa. 

You do not need to be in UK or France to apply for SETV or non O. 

Thinking you need to narrow the field on how you want ongoing living in Thailand.

Most unmarried guys are on annual extensions from a non O.

The non O can be obtained in Thailand or places such as HCMC and Savannakhet etc

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Most unmarried guys are on annual extensions from a non O

What's the longest extension you can get on a 90 day single entry non O if unmarried?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

What's the longest extension you can get on a 90 day single entry non O if unmarried?

Thanks

If you are 50+ and can obtain a non O based on retirement and the only extension option is 12 months.

Has financial requirements 

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I am not that knowledgable but I think it would help the guys in the know if you could provide some more details.

For example your age, you talk about retiree visa but that is age related so if you disclose your age that would help.

Sure I'm 46 years old and I'm not too keen on keeping on renewing things and worry about paperwork, so for me elite makes sense until i turn 50, BUT since i have the cash, assuming the only requirement for an investor visa is tranferring money (already taxed) to the Kingdom, dual taxation etc means it's more financially advantageous. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need a home base.

The question you ask is too open.

You can obtain a non O based on retirement from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Many threads on this.

Seems you might be eligible for a LTV which is relatively new.

You also state that you can afford an PE (elite) visa. 

You do not need to be in UK or France to apply for SETV or non O. 

Thinking you need to narrow the field on how you want ongoing living in Thailand.

Most unmarried guys are on annual extensions from a non O.

The non O can be obtained in Thailand or places such as HCMC and Savannakhet etc

non-O is for 50+ (mostly) or married to a thai or thai child, I'm unmarried, 46 yo. 
I guess the questoin was answered though ,it's possible to do visa switcheroos from WITHIN the Kingdom, which is insanely good compared to other countries!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stevie559 said:

I guess the questoin was answered though ,it's possible to do visa switcheroos from WITHIN the Kingdom, which is insanely good compared to other countries!

Bit of a rash statement, out of the full range of visa available only a limited number can be changed within the country.

You can go from Tourist to certain categories of the Non Immigrant visa but you cannot go from Tourist to Investment visa directly as you would need to have a Non Immigrant visa first.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Bit of a rash statement, out of the full range of visa available only a limited number can be changed within the country.

You can go from Tourist to certain categories of the Non Immigrant visa but you cannot go from Tourist to Investment visa directly as you would need to have a Non Immigrant visa first.

Thanks. I'm going to be calling lawyers all week to get to the bottom of this because I have concerns about a long term stay in SEA if i don't have a 'base' to live from. 

Can you recommend good ones that work with people still abroad? I heard about thaivisa but no reply so far...

Thanks!

Edited by Stevie559

23 hours ago, Stevie559 said:

Thanks. I'm going to be calling lawyers all week to get to the bottom of this because I have concerns about a long term stay in SEA if i don't have a 'base' to live from. 

Can you recommend good ones that work with people still abroad? I heard about thaivisa but no reply so far...

Thanks!

Put it down to my age but I don't see that the words "good" and "lawyer" should be in the same sentence.

Good luck on a positive outcome.

• Thumbs Up 1