Appeal for O - Negative blood

I have 0-Negative blood but when I tried to donate blood in Bangkok they refused me. They asked for proof that I gave blood in my home country such as a record. I guess they did not need my blood as much as they said they did.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Thankyou everyone who has posted. I have been informed that the blood donation can be done at the hospital. I have asked the patient concerned to reconfirm the same with the hospital as well as the upper age limit for anyone wishing to donate. 

The person concerned has had several cardiac related procedures recently so he doesnt have enough of his own blood to be able to cover his upcoming needs and urgently needs to have another procedure next week. 

Edited by Brian O
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian O said:

Thankyou everyone eho has posted. I have been informed that the blood donation can be done at the hospital. I have asked the patient concerned to reconfirm the same with the hospital as well as the upper age limit for anyone wishing to donate. 

The person concerned has had several cardiac related procedures recently so he doesnt have enough of his own blood to be able to cover his upcoming needs and urgently needs to have another procedure next week. 

And the upper age limit is 70 Brian? Thank you. 

Even if they do the collection themselves, hospitals are bound by TRC regulations. Upper limit is age 70 for repeat donors, 55 for first time donors..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Even if they do the collection themselves, hospitals are bound by TRC regulations. Upper limit is age 70 for repeat donors, 55 for first time donors..

Are there any other conditions? I.e. people with diabetes, people who take regular medications, etc.? 

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are there any other conditions? I.e. people with diabetes, people who take regular medications, etc.? 

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease

16 hours ago, Brian O said:

The Thai Red Cross have been contacted and have stated they have no O negative in stock.

Just a general question: Can't the hospital import the required blood from somewhere else? There should be enough countries in this world with enough of that blood. Or not?

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just a general question: Can't the hospital import the required blood from somewhere else? There should be enough countries in this world with enough of that blood. Or not?

O negative is a very rare blood group globally, I should imaging that most countries are in short supply, some more than others.

Since type O blood is that which can be used for anyone, it is almost always in short supply at hospitals. If you have it, you should think of donating. About 42% of the global population has type O+ blood but just 3% have type O-. 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-different-blood-types.html

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Is there a reason for 70 as an upper limit Sheryl?

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

O negative is a very rare blood group globally, I should imaging that most countries are in short supply, some more than others.

Since type O blood is that which can be used for anyone, it is almost always in short supply at hospitals. If you have it, you should think of donating. About 42% of the global population has type O+ blood but just 3% have type O-. 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-different-blood-types.html

But there are still some countries out there with a lot of 0- blood people.

Blood.png.3cf23012f1d61efb4e14f9c0167bd5bc.png

I edited the above picture to shows the 0- column first, the data is from here:

Blood Type by Country 2024 (worldpopulationreview.com)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

It is even more rare in SE Asia. Not many Thais with O-

I'm A negative. 47 years old. I donate often in Rayong. I'm actually due to donate again. The problem is I can't get to Bangkok but if there is a way I can donate in Rayong I'll be happy to. Let me know!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rhino533 said:

I'm A negative. 47 years old. I donate often in Rayong. I'm actually due to donate again. The problem is I can't get to Bangkok but if there is a way I can donate in Rayong I'll be happy to. Let me know!

Sorry, I thought it was A negative not O negative. So, I'm out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Update,

Lots of questions were asked in regards to if the blood donation could be given at the hospital where the patient is an the answer is Yes  it can be given directly and the hospital concerned or if the donator wishes they can give it at the Red Cross blood donation center but they must state that it is a personal donation for a named person/recipient whose details they must present at the time of the donation. In regards to upper age limits for a donator there is no upper limit at the hospital as long as the person donating is in reasonably good health and not suffering from the usual diseases such as hepatitis or HIV etc. Bloods will tested. Currently 2 units have been secured and 3 more are required. 

Edited by Brian O