Family appeal for missing British man in Thailand

webfact

18 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Maybe not you, no. Other people actually care about their family, I guess? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could well be.  But if my family was all over social media and the newspapers, shouting about where I, a grown man, was just because I hadn't spoken to them for five days, I'd be 'kin furious with them.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Could well be.  But if my family was all over social media and the newspapers, shouting about where I, a grown man, was just because I hadn't spoken to them for five days, I'd be 'kin furious with them.

Especially, if it involved the utilization of, or partaking in, the services of prostitutes, or even the desire for such services, without direct action taken in that regard.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JimTripper said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Especially, if it involved the utilization of, or partaking in, the services of prostitutes, or even the desire for such services, without direct action taken in that regard.

Indeed, especially as it would be none of their 'kin business, just as being "offline" for a few days wouldn't be!

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think the family have every reason to be concerned, particularly as his disappearance and lack of contact is out of character. Many foreigners go with girls/ladyboys who drug and rob them. Many of them are too thick to get the dosage right, and the poor mark ends up dead. I have a feeling this is one trip to Thailand that won’t have a happy ending.

There was a post 3 hours before this saying he had been found. What a bunch of BS you posted though. What you post of has happened, but not Many/many as  you are trying to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't you worry about my family and I.  

I'm not particularly worried about you.

I just hope that your family are aware of your wishes so as not to cause embarrassment for you if you happen to forget to check in with them for five days and then miss a routine regurn flight from a holiday of a pre-determined length.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You continue to ignore the fact that they say he missed his flight.

Missing a flight and not communicating for 5 days would cause concern, though you prefer the more sensationalist word "panic".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

"several times over the years"  you will need to be a bit more specific than that , how many times over how many years ?  

Your original statement was ... Many foreigners go with girls/ladyboys who drug and rob them. Many of them are too thick to get the dosage right, and the poor mark ends up dead.

I think you need to review your sources for your "Thailand related news"   and also your personal interpretation of the word "many"

Sorry, let me consult that database I keep of all known cases? Feel free to believe that what I've stated is wrong ... but try google ... drugged and robbed in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, marin said:

There was a post 3 hours before this saying he had been found. What a bunch of BS you posted though. What you post of has happened, but not Many/many as  you are trying to say.

I've just googled it ... and all I can see is case after case? It happens, and it happens a lot. 

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I've just googled it ... and all I can see is case after case? It happens, and it happens a lot. 

i don't doubt you did google it , and you are still spouting  rubbish

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, marin said:

There was a post 3 hours before this saying he had been found.

Damn and blast.  I had just prepared a solemn epitaph and a few carefully chosen words expressing my heartfelt grief  for this guy (whom I had previously never heard of )  I had also prepared a personal  comforting message of condolence for his immediate family and close friends who I have also never had any previous contact with. I thought it was "the least I could do" Preparations were also just about to start for a candle lit vigil .

All that time wasted and worst of all I won't be able to broadcast my empathy to other likeminded "sincere" people. every body will now think I am heartless all because the selfish ba$tard goes and shows up..

Nevermind I'll save it and simply cut and paste it, having changed the names of course for when the next virtue signalling opportunity, i mean tragedy  arises  

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Sorry, let me consult that database I keep of all known cases? Feel free to believe that what I've stated is wrong ... but try google ... drugged and robbed in Thailand. 

I don't need to google it, and, just like the papers, you really should not believe all you read on the internet,

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't need to google it, and, just like the papers, you really should not believe all you read on the internet,

Or listen to idiots like you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:25 PM, wensiensheng said:

If he was bleeding in a ditch, he probably would have been found and his family informed. He was on holiday so probably is in a tourist area. Check his hotel room as it’s much more likely to be where he is if he has encountered some problem. A heart attack or stroke or some other illness is more likely than the bleeding in a ditch scenario. Or, he could just be ok and not have been in touch.

Funny that, the hotel room is not mentioned 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:03 AM, webfact said:

family of David Goldthorpe, a retired man from Edinburgh, are frantically searching for him

I reckon these guys are hanging out together, enjoying themselves. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Or listen to idiots like you.

I doubt you listen to anybody. just blindly believe what you see on face book or google,  Bit like a teenager

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, marin said:

There was a post 3 hours before this saying he had been found.

He was never missing, he was just keeping to himself.

Probably just getting away from his family issues. 

It's good to be alone at times, sometimes people and their nonsense can get you down, happens too bloody often these days. 

Over the years I've sat a a bar, drinking beer by myself on Soi Buakhou, watching the world go by. 

So relaxing until a friend or family member calls on the phone with their problems. 

I reckon at times, these SOS calls by family members are posted only because they are worried about their inheritance. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Over the years I've sat a a bar, drinking beer by myself on Soi Buakhou, watching the world go by. 

So relaxing until a friend or family member calls on the phone with their problems. 

My phone has a dnd function.

It's also always in my bag unless I'm expecting a call or open to unexpected interaction.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It was not just because he hadn't spoken to them, but that he had failed to board return flight as planned. That would worry any family.

Also there had been some unspecified "odd" communications from him just prior, then radio silence.

He has since been found and is reported as receiving consular assistance from his Embassy. So can infer that indeed something untoward (but not lethal) had happened. 

"...he had failed to board return flight as planned. That would worry any family".

No, his being an adult, missing a flight would not necessarily "worry any family"!

"Also there had been some unspecified "odd" communications from him..."

So that would be meaningless as they were unspecified.

"He has since been found and is reported as receiving consular assistance from his Embassy. So can infer that indeed something untoward (but not lethal) had happened".

Well you inferred that; the embassy always makes that word-for-word comment if asked, it does not imply anything untoward happened other than the reported missing his plane.  If anything untoward had happened it is likely that the family would have been asked to comment further by the UK press that they brought in at the start...I wonder why that hasn't happened?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 3

On 5/7/2024 at 9:59 PM, Bday Prang said:

Why not save the virtue signalling until the unlikely moment that something negative is confirmed there will be plenty of time for all the RIP's and the "my thoughts are with the family" type comments then .

Exactly.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

He was never missing, he was just keeping to himself.

Probably just getting away from his family issues. 

It's good to be alone at times, sometimes people and their nonsense can get you down, happens too bloody often these days. 

I reckon at times, these SOS calls by family members are posted only because they are worried about their inheritance. 

Absolutely.

• Agree 1

If I were the police I'd be looking into his financial status and who are the beneficiaries of his estate. The RTP might want to involve the UK police in the investigation, but did it a bit quicker than they did with the Red Bull heir. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I doubt you listen to anybody. just blindly believe what you see on face book or google,  Bit like a teenager

And you're some old man who doesn't understand that Google is a search engine, and when you google about people being drugged and mugged in Thailand it comes up with numerous articles ... from newspapers!!! Written by journalists, based on research not rumour or innuendo. 

You're another one of these waste of space trolls who constantly asks people for "evidence" that you have no interest in looking at or acknowledging. 

On 5/8/2024 at 6:15 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Different folks, different stokes... 

I've been in Thailand over 25 years...   since the onset of mobile phones, particularly chat apps, the manner in which we communicate and the expectation of response has altered. 

I'm sure if any of my family in the UK sent me a message to which I didn't respond to within a couple of days they may start to worry and probably send my Wife a message to check all is ok (we're all in a 'group chat' anyway' so that doesn't happen).

The same in reverse, if my message any of my siblings or parents and don't get a response, concern starts to grow - particularly if I don't get a response from my parents.

The real humdinger is when I get a message "give me a call"...    and then I really worry something has gone wrong...  its usually because one of them just want a chat...   But, I have also had  a couple of calls in the past that have seen be back in the UK within 24 hrs because something serious has happened. 

As I mentioned above - communication is different for everyone and much of this depends upon how closely nit you are as a family, but I'd never be furious at my family caring so much that they worry.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...he had failed to board return flight as planned. That would worry any family".

No, his being an adult, missing a flight would not necessarily "worry any family"!

That would cause significant concern to my family and that of anyone I know. 

"Also there had been some unspecified "odd" communications from him..."

So that would be meaningless as they were unspecified.

That would also cause significant concern. 

"He has since been found and is reported as receiving consular assistance from his Embassy. So can infer that indeed something untoward (but not lethal) had happened".

Well you inferred that; the embassy always makes that word-for-word comment if asked, it does not imply anything untoward happened other than the reported missing his plane.  If anything untoward had happened it is likely that the family would have been asked to comment further by the UK press that they brought in at the start...I wonder why that hasn't happened?

... its also likely they may not have wanted to respond with specifics - hence the information being vague that he has been found and is receiving consular assistance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1