Thai restaurants on Sukhumvit, any recommendations?

Deserted

As we know, Sukhumvit is a rather long road and I have no plans to walk up and down the whole thing. I am usually in between Chit Lom and Phrom Phong and I am looking for a Thai restaurant. Please allow me to clarify. I don't mean street stalls and I don't mean those cheap places with no windows with low cost food. I mean a proper restaurant like the one we went to on Soi 8. We don't want high end hi-so restaurants either, just those in the middle that a small family can visit. Looks nice enough, prices are reasonable, lots of options on the menu. I should point out that I am a vegetarian. Any suggestions, name of restaurant and soi will be much appreciated. 

Check out the restaurants in the shopping centers like Terminal 21 or Paragon.

There's also some descent middle of the road restaurants in Siam Square.....

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

Check out the restaurants in the shopping centers like Terminal 21 or Paragon.

There's also some descent middle of the road restaurants in Siam Square.....

Done that in both places already, some decent enough places in both. I was thinking more in terms of restaurants in the sois rather than the malls, like the one we went to on Soi 8 the other week. 

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really ... it was years ago, so hopefully much better now, but some of the blandest food I've ever had in Th.

I have to admit I wasn't there for some time. But in the last 20 years or so I was there several times, and I always liked the food and sitting in the garden. 

I just checked on TripAdvisor it has mostly "very good" reviews.

If anybody here has personal recent experience, please post it.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a slice of old time Bangkok go to Suda Restaurant soi 14. Been there for over 40 years, they own the building so costs are kept low. The area around it has been spruced up with some nicer restaurants but Suda's is still the same. Good Thai food at a fair price served by locals. Mostly outside seating but they do have and air conditioned dining area. Its located just about 100 meters into the soi. 

suda-restaurant.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, marin said:

For a slice of old time Bangkok go to Suda Restaurant soi 14. Been there for over 40 years, they own the building so costs are kept low. The area around it has been spruced up with some nicer restaurants but Suda's is still the same. Good Thai food at a fair price served by locals. Mostly outside seating but they do have and air conditioned dining area. Its located just about 100 meters into the soi. 

suda-restaurant.jpg

I too went there many times about 40/45 years ago when I was vacationing in BKK.

At the time it was favored by a group of American teachers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I wasn't there for some time. But in the last 20 years or so I was there several times, and I always liked the food and sitting in the garden. 

I just checked on TripAdvisor it has mostly "very good" reviews.

If anybody here has personal recent experience, please post it.

I don't think negative reviews are allowed on TA ... :coffee1:

I prefer Gmaps for my research.  A couple more believable (besides the OMG reviews), and repeat visitors, and gets 'just OK'.  Scroll down to the 3* reviews.

Still gets an overall 4.2 though, so not all bad, depending what one orders.  I wouldn't expect anything at normal spicy level, as caters to tourist, hence the lack of Thais reviewing.

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't think negative reviews are allowed on TA ... :coffee1:

I prefer Gmaps for my research.  A couple more believable (besides the OMG reviews), and repeat visitors, and gets 'just OK'.  Scroll down to the 3* reviews.

Still gets an overall 4.2 though, so not all bad, depending what one orders.  I wouldn't expect anything at normal spicy level, as caters to tourist, hence the lack of Thais reviewing.

I was the other day in one of the Thai restaurants in Terminal 21, 5th floor. My Thai gf wasn't impressed, and I wasn't impressed. And it was relative expensive - to be expected in Terminal 21.

I think in general it is a bad idea to go to any Thai restaurant in that area - and I live in that area.

It seems they cater mostly to tourists (with too much money) and farangs who are not used to spicy Thai food.

It is definitely a better idea to eat Thai food in Thai areas where not many tourists run around. It's also a lot cheaper in those areas because Thais don't pay those crazy tourist prices.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, marin said:

suda-restaurant.jpg

Crikey.

They have gone 'posh'.

Never tablecloths when I lived in Soi 16, nor on my return visits.

Good food but gets very busy.

Some nights, very large groups of different nationalities eat there. Sorry, I cannot remember which nights.

Yong Lee on the corner of soi 15, the cuisine is more Chinese Thai, especially 'Cook Shop' style from Chinese cooks that used to work in western hotels and embassy, some dish looks like they are from the 70s  probably on its last legs now, but a piece of history with original decor, 

used to be popular hanging out spot for GIs back in the day, some chairs and bars even have metal plaque of the regular patron etched on them 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJiz5CfTxQ

I havent seen cooking in Yong Lee in a long while, its usually trinket selling on that corner as they wait for the developers to make an offer.

Most Thai restaurants in walking distance of Sukhumvit especially around the BTS stations are probably catering more to tourists like Soi 4 or corner of 11/1, or really upscale, cusine specific like Southern restaurant in Soi8, Plenty more around Soi 11 and 23, but all are on the upscale side

22 hours ago, marin said:

suda-restaurant.jpg

This looks like a good spot, so you've been there before and liked the place yes?

Not for about 6 years, but friends have been. Not gourmet by any means. Well prepared Thai food done the old fashioned way.

22 hours ago, marin said:

Not for about 6 years, but friends have been. Not gourmet by any means. Well prepared Thai food done the old fashioned way.

Thanks, I'll check it out over the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

10/10For a great Thai dining experience on Sukhumvit between Chit Lom and Phrom Phong, I recommend May Veggie Home on Soi 16. This restaurant offers a comfortable atmosphere with reasonable prices and a variety of vegetarian options, making it perfect for a small family visit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mediappy said:

10/10For a great Thai dining experience on Sukhumvit between Chit Lom and Phrom Phong, I recommend May Veggie Home on Soi 16. This restaurant offers a comfortable atmosphere with reasonable prices and a variety of vegetarian options, making it perfect for a small family visit.

Could you say whereabouts on soi 16 it is, its not showing on google maps.