April Marks 11th Consecutive Month of Record-Breaking Heat Worldwide

image.png

April witnessed a continuation of alarming trends as Earth experienced its 11th consecutive month of record-breaking heat, setting a worrisome tone for the months ahead. With warmer weather already engulfing Asia and predictions of a hotter-than-usual summer looming over Europe, concerns about the escalating climate crisis are mounting.

According to the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service, global temperatures in April soared to unprecedented levels, surpassing historical averages by 1.58°C (2.8°F) and earning the dubious distinction of being the hottest April on record. This relentless upward trajectory in temperatures over the past 12 months, averaging 1.61°C higher than pre-industrial levels, underscores the urgency of addressing the climate emergency.

Carlo Buontempo, Director of Copernicus, highlighted the role of greenhouse gas emissions in driving this relentless warming trend. While acknowledging the influence of natural climate cycles like El Niño, Buontempo emphasized the enduring impact of human-induced factors, which continue to propel global temperatures to unprecedented heights.

The ramifications of this warming trend are being felt across continents, with Europe bracing for a surge in temperatures in the coming weeks. The U.K.'s Met Office predicts highs of 26°C in parts of England, signaling a sweltering start to the summer season. Similarly, the Nordics are experiencing a significant rise in temperatures, with Oslo expected to reach a high of 23°C on May 14, surpassing even the traditionally warmer city of Madrid.

The Copernicus program, renowned as the world’s largest provider of climate data, relies on an extensive network of satellites, ships, aircraft, and weather stations to monitor and analyze global climate patterns. By synthesizing billions of measurements, Copernicus offers invaluable insights into the evolving dynamics of our planet's climate system, informing policymakers and stakeholders alike.

As the specter of climate change looms larger than ever before, the need for urgent and concerted action becomes increasingly apparent. Addressing the root causes of greenhouse gas emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing robust mitigation and adaptation measures are imperative steps in safeguarding the planet for future generations.

April's record-breaking temperatures serve as a stark reminder of the urgent need for decisive action to combat the climate crisis. Failure to act swiftly and decisively risks irreparable harm to ecosystems, livelihoods, and the well-being of billions of people worldwide. Now is the time for bold and transformative measures to secure a sustainable and resilient future for all.

2024-05-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

April witnessed a continuation of alarming trends as Earth experienced its 11th consecutive month of record-breaking heat, setting a worrisome tone for the months ahead. With warmer weather already engulfing Asia and predictions of a hotter-than-usual summer looming over Europe, concerns about the escalating climate crisis are mounting.

According to the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service, global temperatures in April soared to unprecedented levels, surpassing historical averages by 1.58°C (2.8°F) and earning the dubious distinction of being the hottest April on record. This relentless upward trajectory in temperatures over the past 12 months, averaging 1.61°C higher than pre-industrial levels, underscores the urgency of addressing the climate emergency.

Carlo Buontempo, Director of Copernicus, highlighted the role of greenhouse gas emissions in driving this relentless warming trend. While acknowledging the influence of natural climate cycles like El Niño, Buontempo emphasized the enduring impact of human-induced factors, which continue to propel global temperatures to unprecedented heights.

The ramifications of this warming trend are being felt across continents, with Europe bracing for a surge in temperatures in the coming weeks. The U.K.'s Met Office predicts highs of 26°C in parts of England, signaling a sweltering start to the summer season. Similarly, the Nordics are experiencing a significant rise in temperatures, with Oslo expected to reach a high of 23°C on May 14, surpassing even the traditionally warmer city of Madrid.

The Copernicus program, renowned as the world’s largest provider of climate data, relies on an extensive network of satellites, ships, aircraft, and weather stations to monitor and analyze global climate patterns. By synthesizing billions of measurements, Copernicus offers invaluable insights into the evolving dynamics of our planet's climate system, informing policymakers and stakeholders alike.

As the specter of climate change looms larger than ever before, the need for urgent and concerted action becomes increasingly apparent. Addressing the root causes of greenhouse gas emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing robust mitigation and adaptation measures are imperative steps in safeguarding the planet for future generations.

April's record-breaking temperatures serve as a stark reminder of the urgent need for decisive action to combat the climate crisis. Failure to act swiftly and decisively risks irreparable harm to ecosystems, livelihoods, and the well-being of billions of people worldwide. Now is the time for bold and transformative measures to secure a sustainable and resilient future for all.

2024-05-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Record breaking every day.

Found these May maximums for the UK at: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

May* 32.8 22 May 1922^ Camden Square (London)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Horsham (West Sussex)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Tunbridge Wells (Kent)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Regent's Park (London)

Most confusing!

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Record breaking every day.

Found these May maximums for the UK at: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

May* 32.8 22 May 1922^ Camden Square (London)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Horsham (West Sussex)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Tunbridge Wells (Kent)
May* 32.8 29 May 1944 Regent's Park (London)

Most confusing!

Allow me to unconfuse you. The report was about the highest temperatures for today and its implications. Here is the table for the previous  temperature records for May 8:

image.png.8e8a961a8cae3acfac63e86272e3d038.png

So a high of 26 is a huge jump.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Allow me to unconfuse you. The report was about the highest temperatures for today and its implications. Here is the table for the previous  temperature records for May 8:

Damn. You're more confused than me. 

The OP mentions "the ramifications of this warming trend are being felt across continents, with Europe bracing for a surge in temperatures in the coming weeks. The U.K.'s Met Office predicts highs of 26°C in parts of England".

Do behave.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, placeholder said:

I'm confused too.  The BBC reported that "April saw the hottest April day since 1949 when, on 19 April, the temperature reached 29.1C in London St James' Park."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44341030

So a high of 26C is quite a drop from the 29C reported on that day.  Is it a cooling crisis or a warming crisis?  Need to make sure I panic accordingly and stock up on budgie smugglers or ski jackets depending on which one it is.   

Edited by James105
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'm confused too.  The BBC reported that "April saw the hottest April day since 1949 when, on 19 April, the temperature reached 29.1C in London St James' Park."

So a high of 26C is quite a drop from the 29C reported on that day.  Is it a cooling crisis or a warming crisis?  Need to make sure I panic accordingly and stock up on budgie smugglers or ski jackets depending on which one it is.   

I'm confused to. Are you trolling or dumb?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I'm confused to. Are you trolling or dumb?

I'm confused that you are confused.   How can I clarify this situation to make it a bit easier for you to understand?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

Damn. You're more confused than me. 

The OP mentions "the ramifications of this warming trend are being felt across continents, with Europe bracing for a surge in temperatures in the coming weeks. The U.K.'s Met Office predicts highs of 26°C in parts of England".

Do behave.

Thanks for the correction. But that still doesn't mean that you got it right. What you're referring to is a record breaking day or days. This article is about record breaking average temperatures for the month. Also, the days of the month you cited occurred later in May. Who knows, a record breaking day may yet be to come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

And what did man do millions of years ago when the earth was heating and cooling? Nothing because man was yet to arrive on tghe earth. It's insane to think that man has the ability to change the earths temperature.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Thanks for the correction. But that still doesn't mean that you got it right. What you're referring to is a record breaking day or days. This article is about record breaking average temperatures for the month. Also, the days of the month you cited occurred later in May. Who knows, a record breaking day may yet be to come.

It's about the 11 months up to and including April. Not May. 

Yes, who knows?

1 hour ago, Keep Right said:

And what did man do millions of years ago when the earth was heating and cooling? Nothing because man was yet to arrive on tghe earth. It's insane to think that man has the ability to change the earths temperature.

Did someone actually say that?

11 hours ago, James105 said:

Since when is even 29 C "excessively hot"? That's nothing compared to Saudi- https://climateknowledgeportal.worldbank.org/country/saudi-arabia/climate-data-historical 

Summers in the central region are extremely hot and dry, ranging from 27°C to 43°C in the inland areas.

If it's too hot in the UK, send some of it down to NZ where it's too cold now.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:34 AM, Social Media said:

Failure to act swiftly and decisively risks irreparable harm to ecosystems, livelihoods, and the well-being of billions of people worldwide. Now is the time for bold and transformative measures to secure a sustainable and resilient future for all.

Send me the money and I'll rush out to buy an EV to save the planet.