Foreign man barely survives after being hit by a bus in Pattaya - Video

snoop1130

17 hours ago, johng said:

Well it could also be said  

when will Thais learn....how to drive "properly"  but that might be construed as a bit racist ?

Maybe Thais will learn that in 50 or 100 years, maybe never.

Do you want to wait until they learned to drive properly? Or accept reality that they don't do this here and now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or accept reality that they don't do this here and now.

I accept the reality and drive as defensively and safely as possible.

What other road users do I can't control so try not to worry about them, even though is very difficult sometimes witnessing the idiotic things that happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's clear vision that the bus continues in a straight line but the rider swerves into the bus after what looks like hitting the road drain while trying to manoeuvre in a small space between motorbike and bus. 

I'd agree, the drain may have come into play because of the  parked motorcycle a few metres ahead causing the lane to narrow even more. 

• Agree 2

Barely survives is a bit dramatic. I ride big bikes around Pattaya. Riding a push bike would be scary as fork. Heck just walking down Bukhao is traumatizing. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, john donson said:

Foreign man barely survives after being hit by a bus in Pattaya

a few lines later... his arm was hit...

I think his arm was actually run over...  hence the extreme injury reported (exposed bone).

He was extremely lucky it wasn't his head - that was an extremely close call and I think we've all see the various videos posted online of the aftermath of a motorcyclist falling off next to a lorry or bus etc and the head gets run over... gruesome stuff.

I'm still quite astonished at the manner in which he was riding, i.e completely oblivious for his own safety, seemingly unaware that others have no consideration for his safety.

While I disagree with the comments that cyclists should not be on the roads - I'd agree than in Thailand, because of the general attitudes towards road safety, there is an elevated risk to riding and one would have to ride with extreme caution and ride only in specific areas / roads to minimise their exposure to risk. 

Drivers of busses, Trucks/lorrys, delivery vehicles and day-time drunk drivers...  tend to lack any consideration for any other road users, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and cars... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...   but the cyclist is also riding around with complete disregard for his own safety, almost in a world of oblivion to the risks of being on the road here.

I don't understand how you can say this after seeing the video.  The bicyclist is clearly fully within the left-hand lane.  The BUS is 90% in the next lane, but going between the lanes.  It is unreasonable to expect that the bike rider is looking all the time BEHIND himself when he isn't in the process of changing lanes.  What would you say if it was a car in that left lane that the bus just hit from behind?  Would you say it was the car's fault?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carlf said:

I don't understand how you can say this after seeing the video.  The bicyclist is clearly fully within the left-hand lane.  The BUS is 90% in the next lane, but going between the lanes.  It is unreasonable to expect that the bike rider is looking all the time BEHIND himself when he isn't in the process of changing lanes.  What would you say if it was a car in that left lane that the bus just hit from behind?  Would you say it was the car's fault?

I agree... he's fully within his lane...  but he's at the very right of it - its not a particularly safe position to be riding in.

Is he overtaking the motorcyclist ? or was the motorcyclist forced to 'undertake' him because of his positioning.

I agree, this incident is the bus drivers fault, in 'squeezing past the cyclist' - many roads clearly aren't designed for such wide vehicles (thats a long term complaint made by many of busses in Pattaya).

But... Don't you think the cyclist seems oblivious to his own safety ???

The incident would not have occurred had either party (bus or bicyclist) been driving / riding with greater care and consideration for safety... it takes 'just one of them' to 'get it right' for an incident not to happen....  

I don't think the cyclist was riding safely, given his position on the road and seeming 'state of oblivion towards his own safety' 

I don't think the bus driver was driving with any consideration towards the safety of the bicyclist. 

The cyclist 'should' have had better awareness of his positioning and that a bus was approaching...   Should a bicycle which is using the road have mirrors ??... this is a strong case for that.

image.thumb.png.1314a90ba9de7a82ebf883b5a2e5773e.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is he overtaking the motorcyclist ? or was the motorcyclist forced to 'undertake' him because of his positioning.

me thinks taxi motorcyclist gets too close getting ready for a burst of undertaking causing no helmut cyclist to take slight evasive action ........but alas -  all three too close together  and jointly responsible.

nice of mafia taxi motorcyclist to render assistance.

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... he's fully within his lane...  but he's at the very right of it - its not a particularly safe position to be riding in.

Watched again and I believe the reason he's at the right of the lane is a combination of having to go out because of the parked motorcycle half blocking the lane ahead and the moto-taxi guy trying to squeeze through on the inside. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bvor said:

me thinks taxi motorcyclist gets too close getting ready for a burst of undertaking causing no helmut cyclist to take slight evasive action ........but alas -  all three too close together  and jointly responsible.

nice of mafia taxi motorcyclist to render assistance.

Yep... I see how it could be that too...  

Still - I think the cyclist was really oblivious to his own safety...    Of course, the bus driver should have taken more care and watched out for him... But he should also have been doing a better job of watching out for himself.

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2024 at 4:23 PM, johng said:

Well it could also be said  

when will Thais learn....how to drive "properly"  but that might be construed as a bit racist ?

Actually it’s their country so best to learn the local way to drive.

Always yield to buses.  The laws of gross tonnage dictates whether one agrees or not.

Gross tonnage will always win.

20 hours ago, johng said:

I accept the reality and drive as defensively and safely as possible.

What other road users do I can't control so try not to worry about them, even though is very difficult sometimes witnessing the idiotic things that happened.

I kind of do worry about them as I can never be sure what they will do next........

• Sad 1

Sure the bus driver, but things are differnt here.  It is the bicyclists respnsiblity like it or not to avoid such collisions.

Same on a motorbike drive defensively and always be anticipating for the worst case scenario.

dont ride a bicycle ....check

dont cross the road even on a  crossing....check (especially if an eye  doctor and involving a  Police motorcycle)

dont drive on the roads under concrete road construction bridges (route 9)....check

dont be a Policeman in BKK on a motorbike when you see a Ferrari....check

dont...............fill in anything you  like in Thailand...check

18 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i ride my bike daily for hours in CM.....but danger is my middle name.....thanks for your empathy btw...

I haven't owned a bicycle in years.

I might get one if I move to Amsterdam. Where they actually have real bike lanes. 

amsterdam cycling

Believe it or not...but there are actually bike lanes not far from the main Pattaya city center...around the Wat Yarn/Buddha mountain area  where you can witness gaggles of lycra clad tour de France  hopefuls

perspiring profusely. :tongue:

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2024 at 7:54 PM, hotchilli said:

What no outrage from Thais.... shocking.

i'm sure the bus driver will be arrested any time now for leaving the scene of an accident. then subsequently fired and shamed for ruining the good clean image of pattaya. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, john donson said:

Foreign man barely survives after being hit by a bus in Pattaya

a few lines later... his arm was hit...

In fairness, his head came within a hair's breadth of being squashed by the bus wheel...

On 5/10/2024 at 4:45 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Being an avid cyclist myself, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER go anywhere NEAR that intersection. That dude is lucky he didn't get his head squashed. There us a good chance the bus driver didn't even know he hit the cyclist.

Also the cyclist really didn't look like he was very agile, or confident on the bike.  It looked very much like he was wobbling a bit before he came in contact with the bus.  

18 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Also the cyclist really didn't look like he was very agile, or confident on the bike.  It looked very much like he was wobbling a bit before he came in contact with the bus.  

Maybe he'd been on the cans.

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

might get one if I move to Amsterdam. Where they actually have real bike lanes. 

They made a bike lane on Samui, nice parking spot everyone thought.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like the cyclist went native. ( never slow down, stop, or look  )

Get out the way,  I'm coming through.

Not the best idea to have with a bus.  

He got off lightly,  could have easily gone under the wheels of the bus.

Edited by rocketboy2