Bad News For Weed Shops: Potent Cannabis Poses Mental Health Risks

webfact

20 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Ahh mental health issues is it -

Let's add social media to the mix as a leading cause of mental health issues amongst the young,  as a source let's add the highly respected journal (The Lancet Psychiarty) - oh that's the same one as the OP used, excellent!

So social media is a leading cause of mental health issues amongst people, especially the young. I look forward to the banning and rescinding of all forms of social media to protect the public. I hope the government will pursue this outright ban along with cannabis to protect the public from foreign interference and ideas and preserve their mental health. Anything less would be a gross violation of their duty of care. 

Point being. There are a huge range of things that can cause mental health issues in people. Pinning it solely on one 'drug' is utter folly. And let's not forget cannabis will still be freely and openly available if it is every recriminalised, just as it was prior to its decrimilization. It will now be solely for the profit of criminal organisations rather than the government (although you could argue that there is not too much difference between either i guess).

The quality of the OP is utter tripe and is just a wish list of things that government wants the public to accept as truth without any further discussion or debate. 

I'm quoting you @jonclark for an excellent post. Selling to kids tough should be treated the same as alcohol and cigs.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

14. I'm ok. LSD, magic mushies, speed, coke. I'm ok. Didn't abuse any of them but I regularly smoked dope. Not as much these days but I don't drink as much either. I think it's called getting older. 

Sounds ok to me (apart from LSD). What I meant was there must be a lot of teenagers, well under 20, who are smoking it and then goes home and complain to their mothers about ailments

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Everyone agrees the taking of cannabis can cause health problems but so do other “drugs” like tobacco and alcohol so why are they not being classified as a scheduled narcotics ?

Because its difficult to smoke alcohol!

😁🐒

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Anyone who has any doubts about the negative impact that cannabis might have on mental and physical health of users, especially the young, should read this article.

Cannabis legalization has led to a boom in potent forms of the drug that present new hazards for adolescents

Without going into the referred article, the law in Thailand forbid the sale\use of cannabis by anyone under 20 - same as alcohol and cigarettes. Still, many underage kids drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes, (and also other illegal drugs). Are you suggesting that re-leasting cannabis as a drug will stop those youngsters from using it? If so - you have to outlaw alcohol and smokes as well.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Everyone agrees the taking of cannabis can cause health problems but so do other “drugs” like tobacco and alcohol so why are they not being classified as a scheduled narcotics ?

One reason is that even a small amount of cannabis can impair you and cause problems. To a lot of people, taking just one drag on a spliff is enough to alter perception and make it dangerous to drive a vehicle, for instance. Eating the stuff, such as in a cake (which lots of non-smoking Thais were doing) highly indreases the psychotropic effect. And it will of course aggravate any symptoms of psychiatric ailments (of which there are lots these days).

This was overall a bad idea and it is good that they are reversing it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:

I have three friends who regularly smoked weed from their mid teens. One kicked the habit in his late 30s, early 40s, and is fine, the second progressed to hard drugs, and thankfully managed to get clean about 8 years ago... but his brain is frazzled. He was my best friend at school, but we lost touch when I went to work and he went to college, and got in with the wrong crowd. Drugs totally f****d his life up. The third guy, here in Thailand, now in his late 20s, had a good job and had bought a nice house... lost the will, lost his job, and lost his house! Now lives with his mother in Issan, and no longer even chats with anyone. He's just stoned all the time.

I'll pass, thank you. Doesn't appear to be as "harmless" as people claim.

I agree. I smoked the stuff for 10+ years myself and have known a lot of people who smoked. Some people manage it well, a lot don't and in general, a person will do better in life if they don't smoke.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

make it dangerous to drive a vehicle,

having spent 10  minutes renewing my big boy bike licence today Id  say driving in general is a licence to kill...the tests are hilarious/useless rolled into one.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The problem with cannabis is the same as alcohol. Some people can’t take it in moderation. 

in my village in Isaan the norm for locals is to drink until falling down drunk. There is no few drinks or one drink. I only have anecdotal evidence, ie the few people I know, but I see the same thing happening with cannabis.

Tobacco is slightly different. Yes it causes significant long term health risks  and is addictive, but it doesn’t alter the state of mind while being consumed. At least not to the same degree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, dinsdale said:

Nothing in your post suggest harm from dope

its a starting point i'd bet............just as peer  pressure in the late 70,s was for me to smoke which I never did , but everyone else was doing it whilst  calling me chicken. Teens

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Nothing in your post suggest harm from dope. It seems like individual choices. As for your 3rd friend are you saying he lost his will, his job and his house simply because he smoked dope?

I think the answer to your question is yes. He is suggesting simply that.

• Sad 2