Shipping Container UK to Thailand

Karlo

Please don’t respond saying sell all and buy in Thailand. Please don’t waste your time and my time by responding to this thread if you have not shipped personal items from the UK to Thailand. So those of you that have shipped from the UK to Thailand I would welcome your input, and hope to receive some good advice. I will need to look thoroughly into import duties, I did read that if you are married to a Thai and have a 12 month extension of stay there was zero tax on personal used items. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I had read that the period was 6 months ..... and the the customs would account for that by use of 90 day Non O ... and or tourist visa consecutive stay prior to 12 month extension being issued . electronic goods will be deemed dutiable even within that period . I have not shipped but plan to but it will fall out of the 6 month period . You need to allow for shipping time of course ..... I personally know of one container going the other way which will take over two months Port to Port in the uk .....  both Rotterdam and S'pore are very congested right now .... and you will find as a single unit shipper , that you will be short shipped at any time there is a delay .... I speak from experience of shipping container from many places in Asia over the last 40 years ..... 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Karlo said:

Please don’t waste your time and my time by responding to this thread if you have not shipped personal items from the UK to Thailand. 

49 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

I have not shipped 

• Haha 2

A couple of links for you.

The customs link will tell you what documents you need etc to import personal effects. 

The siam shipping link has some very good advice. let the shipping company sort out Thai import duties, if there are any to pay. 

https://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

https://siam-shipping.com/importing-personal-effects-thailand/

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I am moving from Europe to Thailand. We will use our baggage allowance for the absolute "must have"  and dump the rest. I've got clothes in Thailand already and the rest I'll buy in Big C or similar.

I have heard too many stories of people who have shifted stuff from the UK to Thailand and have spent a fortune - for what?

One shipped his prized Volvo car (that didn't have A/C - OK this was a few years ago) and spent an incredible amount of money to get it fitted that he would have been better off selling the car the UK and buying another one here.

Don't bother. Let it go. What is so important (furniture? Personal items? OK maybe these). Saying that that I did look into unaccompanied baggage charges here and there was a up-front fee of the equivalent of 500 pounds plus something like 5 quid a kilo. I will NOT be taking that route.

Anyway up to you. You asked for advice I looked into it (I am doing the same as you) and decided it wasn't worth it.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Karlo said:

Please don’t respond saying sell all and buy in Thailand. Please don’t waste your time and my time by responding to this thread if you have not shipped personal items from the UK to Thailand. So those of you that have shipped from the UK to Thailand I would welcome your input, and hope to receive some good advice. I will need to look thoroughly into import duties, I did read that if you are married to a Thai and have a 12 month extension of stay there was zero tax on personal used items. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

I shipped my stuff over and used Asian Tigers and service very good, they use White's as UK agent. It was back in 2009 so things may have changed a bit since then.

A friend of mine also did it about the same but he did it in his wife's name as there was no tax on used personal items for a Thai national returning to Thailand. He had to pay tax on a motorbike, fairly obvious it wasn't a joint asset. Are you sure you have interpreted what you read correctly?

I didn't bother with the marine insurance as the premium was quite significant. Many will say better to buy in Thailand but it is a personal decision based on what you have, it is all about quality and like for like can be quite expensive in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

International shipping procedures are  just that,  " International "    there is a shipping shedual  and a traiff book . I was offering my input because it maybe helpfull. And I have an awful lot of experience in it , I have experienced a lot of the pit falls over the last 40 years .    You comment however  has all the marks of someone having a dull Sunday afternoon  !

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chetzee said:

I have an awful lot of experience in it , I have experienced a lot of the pit falls over the last 40 years .    You comment however  has all the marks of someone having a dull Sunday afternoon  !

But you have zero personal experience of the specific subject that the OP asked about!...

"Please don’t waste your time and my time by responding to this thread if you have not shipped personal items from the UK to Thailand".

It's your comment, therefore, that has (to use your ill-chosen words) all the hallmarks of someone having a dull Sunday afternoon!           

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But you have zero personal experience of the specific subject that the OP asked about!...

"Please don’t waste your time and my time by responding to this thread if you have not shipped personal items from the UK to Thailand".

It's your comment, therefore, that has (to use your ill-chosen words) all the hallmarks of someone having a dull Sunday afternoon!           

yawn ....  dull Monday too perchance ?