Thailand Imposes Alcohol Ban for Visakha Bucha Day on May 22

webfact

I can guarantee a large market in Pratumnak will be openly selling beer, must not upset our Eastern European guests, it's not let me down yet on a "dry" day

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A terrible Americanism.

What are they called in UK? Begins with a P!

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I dont care to be honest.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The intelligent post of the day!

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah well.... yours not exacty oozing with the usage of brain cells either.

"30 all. New balls please"!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Emdog said:

I consider myself a rational Buddhist. The banning of alcohol sales because it is a "sacred day" strikes me as counter to the teachings of self responsibility and discipline. It is easy to forego some damaging behavior (drinking) when there is nothing available to drink. The ban takes away the individuals decision making and follow through to abstain. It's like if I swore off sleeping with Angelina Jolie: easy to do, no sacrifice as she was never on the menu.

And of course, we once more have the tyranny of the majority: no exceptions on booze ban for Christians, Muslims, Jews, Jains, Hindus, atheists, satanists, Jehovah's witnesses.... anyone and everyone

If your religion says "don't drink" and you want to follow it, then don't drink. As they say here & should apply "Up to you".

Well somebody got to sell the booze and as a buddhist , selling is as bad as consuming it. 

• Agree 1

Serious question does anyone know what days exactly Thais get off this week, or more to the point what days traffic will be insane on roadways going to the south and north? 

It looks like they only get Wednesday off but I’m not sure if it’ll play out that way in terms of traffic. Is it an all week thing? 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yep, colour me surprised.

I don’t put links in my posts. I think it is pathetic behavior for a number of reasons.

First of all, it proves nothing. I could go find link right now that justify the iraq war. But so what. That doesn’t make it true. One can find links for either side. It seems like I’m the only person who figured this out. 

Second, what the hell do we think this is? A scientific journal? There are no scientists here. It’s a forum of opinions. Some are better than others. Hint: The fake, bought corporate links have nothing to do with the quality of the opinions. 

I won’t even go into the whole thing about what links are allowed and which ones aren’t. But that is your 3rd hint. Ie the people linking are usually on the wrong side of things - in other words, the side that’s being censored more is usually the correct side using history as our guide. The people doing the censoring are never correct. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk on the ridiculousness and counterintuitive nature of linking in a forum of opinions 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, ravip said:

Many Buddhist countries do that. For what, only they know.

A damned nuisance indeed.

Never buy house/property anywhere near a temple.

I remember the first time I heard such noise pollution. 8:00 in the guddammed morning, severely hung over in my gf's village 25 clicks south of Sa Keao, and that #&%^ starts up. LAST time I put myself in that situation!

50 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I don’t put links in my posts. I think it is pathetic behavior for a number of reasons.

First of all, it proves nothing. I could go find link right now that justify the iraq war. But so what. That doesn’t make it true. One can find links for either side. It seems like I’m the only person who figured this out. 

Second, what the hell do we think this is? A scientific journal? There are no scientists here. It’s a forum of opinions. Some are better than others. Hint: The fake, bought corporate links have nothing to do with the quality of the opinions. 

I won’t even go into the whole thing about what links are allowed and which ones aren’t. But that is your 3rd hint. Ie the people linking are usually on the wrong side of things - in other words, the side that’s being censored more is usually the correct side using history as our guide. The people doing the censoring are never correct. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk on the ridiculousness and counterintuitive nature of linking in a forum of opinions 

Yeah such a crazy concept of providing facts to confirm your dribble.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah such a crazy concept of providing facts to confirm your dribble.

As I said if someone makes a statement on these forums it is not only common but likely there will be corroborating links for both sides of the argument. I also pointed out why the links may be biased and lead others away from the truth. I also pointed out we’re not scientists. We don’t need to link our sources. That’s not how a public opinion forum works. 

Edited by stats
trolling off-topic meme removed

20 hours ago, watchcat said:

All links are probably doctored.

The link would need to be to a future event. How could one link to numbers of an event that has not yet happened. Yet another reason why demanding links is pathetic and childish. Thais drink and drive on holidays. No link needed for sane people. 

17 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I will be arriving on that day.Any idea whether the duty free shops at Suvarnabhumi  sell booze??

"No one is allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asalha Bucha Day, the Beginning of Buddhist Lent Day, and the End of Buddhist Lent Day, except for duty-free shops within international airport terminals."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

You don’t seem to be able to read very well. As I said if someone makes a statement on these forums it is not only common but likely there will be corroborating links for both sides of the argument. I also pointed out why the links may be biased and lead others away from the truth. I also pointed out we’re not scientists. We don’t need to link our sources. That’s not how a public opinion forum works. 

I found it 

Ahhh, more white noise.