ICC Seeks Arrest Warrants for Sinwar and Netanyahu Over War Crimes & October 7 Attack

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Bit of clarification from the French

Day after backing ICC, France says there’s no comparison between Israel and Hamas

Changing tone on Tuesday, Séjourné stressed that Hamas is “a terrorist group that celebrated the October 7 attacks” in which it killed some 1,200 people in southern Israel and took another 252 hostages. Israel, by contrast, is “a democratic state that must respect international law in the conduct of a war that it did not itself start,” Séjourné noted.

Israel’s Foreign Minister, Israel Katz, speaking in Paris at an event attended by Séjourné, urged him “to announce loud and clear that the decision of the Chief Prosecutor is unacceptable to you and the French government – regardless of the authority of the court.”

“This is what our friends around the world did, and this is what I expect from our friend, the French government,” Katz said, referring to denunciations of the prosecutor’s move by US President Joe Biden among others.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/day-after-backing-icc-france-says-theres-no-comparison-between-israel-and-hamas/

I was expecting it. The political pressure is probably immense for them to retract their support, which they have not yet done.

Macron is trying to balance several issues simultaneously. Expressing support for Israel (the way Biden did) could lead to a new uprising in France, including from the pro-Palestinian Muslim population (almost 6 million people), and that is the last thing he wants before the Olympic Games.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Cool, finally a sensible response to the post. Not sure they are retracting support however, just making a clear distinction between Hamas and Israel, they are still supporting international law via the ICC. Up to them. Just as its up too Ireland, Spain and Norway to move to recognise a Palestinian state next week.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-69047220

Not that I agree with that, rewarding terrorism is never a good thing especially when there are still hostages held.

Interesting (and welcome IMO) development.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

:cheesy:

Pull the other one.

Where is your proof that many have died, and don't quote the IDF- I don't believe anything from them.

There is a reason israel doesn't allow independent journalists into Gaza, and it's not to keep them safe.

Even if thousands die, there are many more willing recruits waiting for an opportunity to kill IDF soldiers. Netanyahu is Hamas's best recruiting agent.

Of course many terrorists died, just as many civilians died.

14 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I was expecting it. The political pressure is probably immense for them to retract their support, which they have not yet done.

Macron is trying to balance several issues simultaneously. Expressing support for Israel (the way Biden did) could lead to a new uprising in France, including from the pro-Palestinian Muslim population (almost 6 million people), and that is the last thing he wants before the Olympic Games.

If ever a man deserved to be caught in that trap it is IMO Macron. I'll bet he is regretting to be seen as such a lap dog to netanyahu in the early days of the conflict. Nobody is forgetting that little show.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 7:56 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It doesn't make sense to argue with people like you. You don't want to see reality and 100 people could write 1000 replies and you wouldn't listen.

Just stay with your ignorance and be happy.

I am out of here.

You are one of half a dozen or so on this forum, that try to present themselves as impartial, while continually posting biased and unbalanced views; like the lopsided one of yours I originally replied to; but it’s a facade, and you don’t like it when someone sees through it and flags it, so you immediately try and shut the discussion down. ….. “I am out of here” …indeed you are

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If ever a man deserved to be caught in that trap it is IMO Macron. I'll bet he is regretting to be seen as such a lap dog to netanyahu in the early days of the conflict. Nobody is forgetting that little show.

I’m no fan of Macron, but he was hardly a lap dog; and if the alternative was to show allegiance to the barbaric, subhuman, terrorist, Yahya Sinwar, then he made an outstanding decision.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 12:39 PM, stevenl said:

So are you doubting many terrorists died?

What is many? Hamas will be getting all the recruits it needs, and given they are still operating in the north ( after israel claimed to have cleared the area ) it doesn't seem to be thousands.

On 5/23/2024 at 2:00 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I’m no fan of Macron, but he was hardly a lap dog; and if the alternative was to show allegiance to the barbaric, subhuman, terrorist, Yahya Sinwar, then he made an outstanding decision.

That is a very bizarre post. 

He didn't have to rush to israel to kiss netanyahu's <deleted> soon as it kicked off. He sure looked puppyish to me as he grovelled to netanyahu. Doesn't give him much wiggle room to take a less sycophantic position now.

I wonder if he will still support netanyahu if arrest warrants are approved?