Thailand Tax on Expat Pensions 2024

Has the tax implications of the 2024 change of policy been resolved whether foreigners such as myself are concerned.   I watched a You Tube presentation last night, in which the Tax Adviser stated that the DTA between Thailand and the UK (I'm UK citizen) will only be applied to pension income arising from Police, Military and Civil Service pensions.  Private pensions and State pension would be subject to Thai tax, if income threshold was met by the value of incoming funds from these pensions.   Elsewhere there is disagreement and say pensions  in general will not be taxed.   Meanwhile the Thai Tax Revenue Dept are not offering any indication of what the position of people is.

I would like some clarity if possible.

20 minutes ago, Southsealad said:

Has the tax implications of the 2024 change of policy been resolved whether foreigners such as myself are concerned.   I watched a You Tube presentation last night, in which the Tax Adviser stated that the DTA between Thailand and the UK (I'm UK citizen) will only be applied to pension income arising from Police, Military and Civil Service pensions.  Private pensions and State pension would be subject to Thai tax, if income threshold was met by the value of incoming funds from these pensions.   Elsewhere there is disagreement and say pensions  in general will not be taxed.   Meanwhile the Thai Tax Revenue Dept are not offering any indication of what the position of people is.

I would like some clarity if possible.

This as well as anything else about the new interpretation is only guesswork until the final paper is put out on the subject.  Any comments by experts, even TRD folks is speculation based on the latest meeting of those folks making the decisions.  Good luck

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

I am not in a position to comment on whether or not those who claim uk pensions will be subject to Thai income-tax. 

But here's a scenario:

1.   According to what I read, military pensions are not subject to Thai income tax.

So leaving that aside, let's move on to UK state pensions.

If and it is only if, Thailand decides to impose an income tax on the UK state pension, two possible outcomes:

1.  Offset any UK income tax against any possible Thai income tax.  If indeed that pension exceeds your annual Thai income tax allowances.

These are my allowances:   yours may differ, depending on marital status etc:

a)Personal Allowance for self

(PA1) - 60,000

b) Personal Allowance for wife (PA2) - 60,000

c) Over age 65 years exemption (OAE) - 190,000

d) 50% of pension income received, up to 100k (PD) - 100,000

e) In addition, the first 150,000 of assessable income is zero rated and free of tax (ZR

Total allowance 560000 baht.

My UK state pension does not exceed my total allowances.  

But, as there is no clarification from TRD, I will just wait out.  I am not duly worried whichever way it turns out.

I hope that helps in some way.

Thailand has already decided to tax the UK State Pendion. Long ago in fact and clearly spelled out in its tax  treaty with the UK. In the past one could get around this by remitting pension in a differrnt year than initially received. No longer.

But your math is correct and most Brits remitting only the OAP will owe little or no tax.

People remitting private pensions or other income (rentsl  investment etc,,) have more cause for concern. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Chasng down taxes owed by retirees will be a daunting task with low yields. Possible many RDs won't bother, but remains to be seen.

The bottom line, given the DTAs and the amounts of tax subject to exemptions - the man-power and government expense needed to chase down foreign retirees and guys like me who are married to a Thai citizens (and over 65) is an exercise in diminishing returns: they will spend more money then they bring in.

Like I've suggested before.  Fill out this form, understand your tax exemption threshold, and keep the amount of remitted funds under the threshold.  Bob's your uncle!  :thumbsup:

Thai_Tax_Form.pdf

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Actually, the amount of time and man-hours needed to check all the foreign expats will end up costing them more then they will ever make in additional revenues.  

Probably true for retirees as a whole. 

But not so true for other groups. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

As many suspect may be the case, it's possible that foreigners may have to produce a Tax Clearance Certificate at extension time.  No chasing at all.  It makes the foreigner contact the RD.  

I think it will all be a big mess, but the Thai government will make rules up on the fly to still turn a baht out of it. 

Money Number One in Thailand, and no free passes for farang, including retirees. 

Post deleted by user.

Edited by Raindancer

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But your math is correct and most Brits remitting only the OAP will owe little or no tax.

People remitting private pensions or other income (rentsl  investment etc,,) have more cause for concern. 

Agreed.  And it is a simple enough task to produce your income and tax paid from the UK govt website.  Plus one could always provide the P60 annual report.

This of course assumes that those individuals with income outside of pensions etc, have declared this to HMRC, and will therefore show on their total income and tax document on UK govt website.

Edited by Raindancer
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

As many suspect may be the case, it's possible that foreigners may have to produce a Tax Clearance Certificate at extension time.  No chasing at all.  It makes the foreigner contact the RD.  

So you just switch to multi entry non o, or lie on the forms they have no way of checking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

They could just force you to produce official documents that you are cleared, couldn't they? 

They already make you prove your income.  So not sure why they couldn't make you prove your tax clearance, as well.

I keep 400k in a Thai bank, no other proof required. I may have zero income and live off my wife or Thai kids.

As for foreign money - WISE allow me to choose if deposits are marked 'foreign' or 'local' transfers by my Thai bank account.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I keep 400k in a Thai bank, no other proof required. I may have zero income and live off my wife or Thai kids.

As for foreign money - WISE allow me to choose if deposits are marked 'foreign' or 'local' transfers.

I am aware.  I must not have been clear in my post.  Let me phrase it differently.  With either method, the onus is on you to prove that you have what is needed.  For example, if you are using the income method, you have to go to the bank and get a letter from the bank.  You have to present it to immigration.

You said they have no way of knowing if you lie on the forms.  So I am asking why they couldn't just do the same thing with tax clearance.  Why couldn't they make you get a letter from the appropriate Thai tax agency...saying you have paid your taxes in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OP ... you might want to actually read the DTA yourself, and not rely on YT for info.  Maybe there's a UK govt site you can register for any updates to the DTA if they come about.

• Like 1

Just now, Raindancer said:

Why are you suggesting this.  There is only the rumour of this on this forum propagated by others.

There is absolutely no evidence that you will need to provide income/ tax paid etc for extension renewals.

I asked "Why couldn't they do that?".

Can you help me understand which part of that question indicates to you that I am saying there is evidence they will?

Just now, QuantumQuandry said:

I asked "Why couldn't they do that?".

Can you help me understand which part of that question indicates to you that I am saying there is evidence they will?

I fully understood your question.   And perhaps if you read my answer, I never suggested that you suggested that you personally,stated   "there is evidence they will.

I said that there is no current evidence etc etc.

So let me be more succinct.   Instead of asking why couldn't they do that, ask the question "why would they do that".   

There is nothing currently to suggest they would.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They could, but there is not the slightest indication that they will.

I am not saying there is but since this is new (a new interpretation and implementation, anyway), there wouldn't necessarily be an indication either way yet, would there?  Afaik, from trying to follow the other tax threads, there is no clarity from the Thai government on how things will be enforced or implemented yet.

Why on earth would they?

Money, I would think.  I am sure some expats would end up having to pay taxes.  That said, with Thailand, maybe also a sheer love of bureaucracy lol (second part is half-joking).

Also, pensioners are not the prime target of this from RD standpoint. As they have repeatedly explained, it is primarily aimed at wealthy persons investing abroad and previously using the loophole to avoid taxation.

I understand they have said that's the...primary aim.  We are not the prime target.  I am not sure that means we won't be affected, though.

Hard to imagine they would have any reason to ask a different government dept to help them collect the piddling amounts that would be owed by pensioners.

It seems to me, at first glance, that Immigration puts all the effort on us, as foreigners, to prove that we comply with their rules.  So would it be difficult for them to just say "Hey, prove you paid your taxes if you want a visa renewal"?

I guess you could say that it would require inter-departmental cooperation...but...there may not need to be much cooperation.  To prove my income, I have to go to banks and get a letter issued by the bank.  So is it that big a stretch to think they might do the same with tax compliance?

To clarify for...other posters, I am not saying they will.  I am just not so sure they won't.

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1