One person killed as turbulence strikes London-Singapore flight

CharlieH

image.png

One person died and several were injured on a Singapore Airlines flight from London after experiencing severe turbulence. The Singapore-bound Boeing 777-300ER was redirected to Bangkok, landing at 15:45 local time (08:45 GMT). According to flight tracking data, the plane dropped 6,000 feet (around 2,000 meters) in just minutes while flying over the Bay of Bengal. There were 211 passengers and 18 crew members on board Flight SQ 321, the airline confirmed in a statement.

"Singapore Airlines extends its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased," the statement read. The airline is collaborating with Thai authorities to provide medical assistance to injured passengers and has dispatched a team to Bangkok to offer further support.

Emergency services, including ambulances, were mobilized to Suvarnabhumi Airport by Thai authorities. Singapore's Transport Minister Chee Hong Tat expressed his condolences and assured government support for passengers and their families.

Details of the incident on the flight remain uncertain. A passenger described the sudden, intense drop, saying that those not buckled up were thrown against the cabin's ceiling. This led to some passengers sustaining injuries by hitting overhead bins and breaking panels above them.

Turbulence can occur when planes pass through different types of clouds,

as reported by BBC

2024-05-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Yeiks!glad they didn’t bend the plane! That could have been worse.personally when I travel I always keep the belt on when not up and about 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

personally when I travel I always keep the belt on when not up and about 

Same, I don't understand people who waits for the green light and then they are jumping off of their chairs, where are they going?

• Thumbs Up 1

Very sad. As others have noted it's wise to keep the seatbelt on when seated. If you keep it on quite loosely, then unless you are severely overweight you don't even notice it is on. 

Interesting that as with virtually every story, the BBC simply couldn't resist trying to link this to climate change.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c8889d7x8j4o

image.png.e2e41a8db64fc6b0059563d796831708.png

😄