Boy with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Stabs Uncle to Death in Phuke

webfact

image.jpeg

Late last night, a tragic incident unfolded when a 15-year-old boy with ADHD fatally stabbed his 60-year-old uncle in the Thalang district of Phuket. The horrific event occurred in a rented room where the family lived together.

Thalang Police Station officers were called to the scene around 7 PM, where they discovered the victim, Somkiat Chanhom, suffering from multiple stab wounds to his chest. Despite efforts by emergency medical workers from Thalang Hospital to provide first aid and transport him for further treatment, Somkiat succumbed to his injuries en route to the hospital.

The alleged attacker, identified only as Yoi, has been reported to struggle with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This condition often manifests in difficulties with concentration and impulsive actions, which may have played a role in the tragedy. Yoi lived in the rented room with six family members, and frequently argued with Somkiat, who was described as a father figure to him.

According to Yoi’s grandmother, Or, the altercation began like any other but escalated quickly. Yoi threw his phone in anger, grabbed two knives, and marched towards Somkiat’s bedroom. Or attempted to intervene, begging Yoi to reconsider and asking Somkiat to secure his door. Despite her pleas, Yoi kicked in the door and attacked Somkiat repeatedly. After Or's daughter intervened, Yoi fled the scene but was apprehended shortly thereafter.

Or further explained that Somkiat often cared for Yoi but expressed frustration over the boy’s constant phone usage and inactivity. She had planned to take Yoi to the hospital for his worsening aggression and medication non-compliance the following day, but this plan ended in tragedy.

Yoi faces charges under Section 290 of the Criminal Law for causing death through assault. Although the standard penalty ranges from three to 15 years in prison, allowances may be made for his age.

Picture courtesy: Bright TV

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was likely his condition combined with massive amounts of sugar. Well we never considered that. 

Send him to a distant, island penal colony. Let him make license plates with all that energy. See ya! 

In TL I know of a boy 7 yo (autism AdHD) who isn't getting managed well ( too much phone use, bad diet, neglectful love & care ) and my bet is this will be the situation in 7-10 yrs from now. He is in the family but the mother won't listen. It's a tragedy slowly unfolding. I have paid for her & the kid to fly see doctors in BK, but nobody really seems to understand ...

What can you do, looking from the outside ???

On 6/1/2024 at 4:27 AM, Tailwagsdog said:

In TL I know of a boy 7 yo (autism AdHD) who isn't getting managed well ( too much phone use, bad diet, neglectful love & care ) and my bet is this will be the situation in 7-10 yrs from now. He is in the family but the mother won't listen. It's a tragedy slowly unfolding. I have paid for her & the kid to fly see doctors in BK, but nobody really seems to understand ...

What can you do, looking from the outside ???

Our 8 year old grandson was diagnosed with ADHD last year, after his school requested he be examined by a doctor. He's not aggressive at all, but fits the profile of being hyperactive, easily distracted and generally having difficulty focusing on the task at hand (except for video games on his tablet). He has an appointment every 2 months with a doctor at a private hospital in Chiang Rai every 2 months to evaluate his progress and adjust his medication (Ritalin) as needed. We've seen that the Ritalin makes a big difference in his ability to focus and decreases his hyperactivity somewhat.

I would urge you to take the boy you mentioned to a local private hospital for evaluation and a prescription for medication. You may need to do this yourself, at your own expense since the family seems to be dis-interested. We provide all financial support for our daughter and two grandkids, so we pay about 4-5K baht every 2 months for the doctor visit and Ritalin prescription, and our daughter is very good about keeping doctor's appointments at the hospital 90 minutes away from their home.