Biden's Memorial Day Address Honors Fallen Soldiers and Late Son Beau

image.png

On Memorial Day, President Joe Biden delivered a heartfelt speech at Arlington National Cemetery, paying tribute to the members of the armed forces who sacrificed their lives for the nation. His words resonated deeply with the audience, reflecting on the profound loss experienced by the families of the fallen and drawing a personal connection to his late son, Beau Biden.

“We gather at this sacred place at this solemn moment to remember and to honor the sacrifice of the hundreds of thousands of women and men who have given their lives to this nation,” Biden began. “Each one, literally, a link in the chain of honor stretching back to our founding days, each one bound by a common commitment not to a place, not to a person, not to a president, but to an idea unlike any idea in human history: the idea of the United States of America.”

Biden's speech was not only a tribute to the nation's fallen heroes but also a personal remembrance of his son, Beau, who passed away in 2015 from brain cancer. The President has often connected Beau's illness to his exposure to toxic chemicals during his military service in Iraq. Addressing the families of other fallen veterans, Biden acknowledged the enduring pain of their losses.

“I know it hurts,” Biden said, his voice heavy with emotion. “The hurt is still real. Still raw. This week marks nine years since I lost my son Beau. The pain of his loss is with me every day, as it is with you. Still sharp. Still clear. But so is the pride I feel in his service. As if I can still hear him saying, ‘It’s my duty, Dad. It’s my duty.’”

Joining Biden at the solemn event were First Lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, and Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. CQ Brown Jr. The presence of these dignitaries underscored the significance of the occasion and the collective respect for the sacrifices made by the nation's servicemen and women.

Biden used the platform to highlight his administration's commitment to veterans, emphasizing the legislative efforts made to support service members and their families. “Since I took office, I’ve signed over 30 bipartisan laws supporting servicemen, veterans, their families, caregivers, and survivors,” he stated. “Last year, the VA delivered more benefits and processed more claims than ever in our history.”

The President reiterated the nation's sacred obligation to its military members. “We have many obligations as a nation,” he continued, “but we only have one truly sacred obligation: to prepare those we send to battle and to take care of their families when they come home, and when they don’t.”

The contrast between Biden's somber and unifying message and the tone of his political rival, former President Donald Trump, was stark. Shortly after posting a graphic honoring the fallen on Truth Social, Trump launched a tirade against Biden and the judges overseeing his legal cases, referring to those who oppose him as “human scum.”

Credit: The Hill 2024-05-29

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

You don’t see the hypocrisy? I mean, you support a guy who makes EVERYTHING about himself, and says the most outrageous, inappropriate, ridiculous and intentionally hurtful things. Not to mention his constant whining and begging for attention (and money).

And then you accuse Biden of making everything about himself and saying something inappropriate? Wow.

By the way, that botched Afghanistan withdrawal was 95% on Trump.

He sees the hypocrisy no doubt,he’s a foreigner with an agenda…..