Hiss-terical find: Massive python captured in Chai Nat province

On 5/30/2024 at 10:30 PM, pacovl46 said:

There's no way that snake weighs 50kg. It's more like 50 pounds at that length. 

The unfortunate dog inside it probably contributed most of the weight.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The unfortunate dog inside it probably contributed most of the weight.

That snake weighs about 20 kilos and there's no way in hell it could eat a dog that weighs 30 kilos. A Boxer weighs about 30 kg and so does a large bull terrier or an average female German Shepherd. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

That snake weighs about 20 kilos and there's no way in hell it could eat a dog that weighs 30 kilos. A Boxer weighs about 30 kg and so does a large bull terrier or an average female German Shepherd. 

So, your taking issue with my use of the word, most in my throwaway post. Perhaps for the truculent on this forum I should have said, much

In the same petty way, perhaps you could explain how you decided the snake weighs about 20 kgs?

I probably should have weighed the 12foot reticulated python we caught in our chicken pen a few months ago so I could also display my expert knowledge here.

And thank you for the estimates of weight of several breeds of dogs. I will try to utilize your findings in my dealings with my 3 large canines.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 5:51 AM, Old Croc said:

So, your taking issue with my use of the word, most in my throwaway post. Perhaps for the truculent on this forum I should have said, much

In the same petty way, perhaps you could explain how you decided the snake weighs about 20 kgs?

I probably should have weighed the 12foot reticulated python we caught in our chicken pen a few months ago so I could also display my expert knowledge here.

And thank you for the estimates of weight of several breeds of dogs. I will try to utilize your findings in my dealings with my 3 large canines.

I'm not taking issue with your wording. I'm just trying to educate you on the subject matter. Snakes haben been researched extensively over the past century. How much they weigh at any given lengths has been well documented as well, just like natal doctors and nurses know how much a newborn baby weighs approximately. The snake in this picture is roughly about 3 meters long and at that length it weighs about 45 pounds and that would be a well fed heavy bodied one. The snake in this picture is not one of those. 

It's not my fault that you know nothing about snakes or the weight of some dog species. 

I was just trying to reason with you. Instead of being thankful for the information you decided to mount your high horse to enjoy the view! Speaks volumes about your character! 

Edited by pacovl46

16 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

It's not my fault that you know nothing about snakes or the weight of some dog species. 

What an amusing little man. You're just trying to educate me about snakes and dogs!  You're not even clever enough to pick up on sarcasm. Quoting nonsense from the internet to try and prove you are some sort of reptile expert is hilarious.

I've owned and at times bred, dogs all my life. We currently have an aging Shepherd cross, a Samoyed and a Bang Kaew. I'm well aware of their approximate weights, not by using the internet, but by weighing them. 

Living on a large remote, farming property in the north (and as an Australian) my knowledge of reptiles is extensive and based on actual experience. We've had snakes (inc. a cobra) come inside the house and frequently find them close outside. Since the recent rains we are seeing them almost on a daily basis. I was just talking to the wife about a large, unidentified one she nearly ran over yesterday. We've had to remove 2 large pythons from the chicken run in the last couple of years and a King Cobra was recently sighted on the property next door.

I'm not living in a city reading about the wildlife, I'm living among them.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

What an amusing little man. You're just trying to educate me about snakes and dogs!  You're not even clever enough to pick up on sarcasm. Quoting nonsense from the internet to try and prove you are some sort of reptile expert is hilarious.

I've owned and at times bred, dogs all my life. We currently have an aging Shepherd cross, a Samoyed and a Bang Kaew. I'm well aware of their approximate weights, not by using the internet, but by weighing them. 

Living on a large remote, farming property in the north (and as an Australian) my knowledge of reptiles is extensive and based on actual experience. We've had snakes (inc. a cobra) come inside the house and frequently find them close outside. Since the recent rains we are seeing them almost on a daily basis. I was just talking to the wife about a large, unidentified one she nearly ran over yesterday. We've had to remove 2 large pythons from the chicken run in the last couple of years and a King Cobra was recently sighted on the property next door.

I'm not living in a city reading about the wildlife, I'm living among them.

Your silly little rant doesn't change the fact that the snake in this article doesn't weigh anywhere near 50 kilos! I know, you don't. That's all there is to it....

18 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Your silly little rant doesn't change the fact that the snake in this article doesn't weigh anywhere near 50 kilos! I know, you don't. That's all there is to it....

Perhaps you could point out where I said it did weigh 50 kgs. It's a medium size Burmese, but not massive as described in the article. I also don't believe it to be 50 kg. It's the usual media exaggeration.

My one liner just suggested the obvious meal inside it probably weighed more than the snake. 

When you decided to lecture and "educate" me on weights of dogs, you were the one sitting high on your horse 

I didn't consider that a necessary response.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps you could point out where I said it did weigh 50 kgs. It's a medium size Burmese, but not massive as described in the article. I also don't believe it to be 50 kg. It's the usual media exaggeration.

My one liner just suggested the obvious meal inside it probably weighed more than the snake. 

When you decided to lecture and "educate" me on weights of dogs, you were the one sitting high on your horse 

I didn't consider that a necessary response.

This will be the last time that I'll reply to you. 

The article says it weighs 50 kg, I posted a reply stating that there's no way the snake weighs that much, to which you replied the dog it ate might be the reason, which implies that you think the snake weighs 50kg, to which I replied that that's impossible,  giving you examples of dog breeds that have the weight needed to get to the 50kg, to which you took offense for whatever silly reason.  The snake does so NOT look like it ate a fully grown female German Shepherd! As a matter of fact,  it would be impossible for that snake to eat a meal that large. Case closed! 

16 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

The article says it weighs 50 kg, I posted a reply stating that there's no way the snake weighs that much, to which you replied the dog it ate might be the reason

My words "The unfortunate dog inside it probably contributed most of the weight."

I never considered the snake weighed as much as the monks estimated. You decided I was backing up their version because I pointed out its obvious bulge was probably the reason they thought it to be massive. In a way I was agreeing with you and just providing an explanation for their error.

Then you started ranting about weights of large dogs when it was obvious from the picture the meal was not as large as you decided I had implied.

When I took exception to the lecture you went full Ajarn mode on me.

On 5/29/2024 at 1:53 PM, snoop1130 said:

They believe it to be a sacred snake due to its enormous size.

...asf for me a sacred snake is the dead one! sorry,iI'm scared to death of all these creepy crawlies

On 5/29/2024 at 6:53 PM, snoop1130 said:

They believe it to be a sacred snake due to its enormous size.

On 5/29/2024 at 6:53 PM, snoop1130 said:

“We were all frightened, but we made sure to tell the snake that we were capturing it to release it and not to kill it,” Pakong said.

You can't make this up, I'm surprised the snake didn't answer or give out lotto numbers.

SSSSSix ssssssseven :giggle: