North Korea Accused of Sending Balloons Filled with Trash and Feces into South Korea

image.png

South Korea has accused North Korea of sending balloons containing garbage and animal feces into its territory, escalating tensions between the two nations. The Joint Chiefs of Staff reported detecting over 260 inflated balloons with plastic bags tied to them as of Wednesday. Some of these balloons landed on the ground, spreading trash and animal excrement, while others remained airborne.

The Yonhap news agency detailed that South Korea's military explosives ordnance unit and a chemical and biological warfare response team were deployed to inspect and collect these objects. An alert was issued to residents, urging them to avoid the balloons and report any sightings to authorities. 

North Korea's actions are seen as an attempt to provoke South Korea and gauge its reaction. An official from Seoul's presidential office emphasized the need for a calm response. "By putting rubbish and miscellaneous objects into balloons, they seem to want to test how our people would react and whether our government is indeed disrupted, and apart from direct provocations, how psychological warfare and small-scale complex threats would play out in our country," the official said.

Balloons have frequently been used by South Korean activists, including defectors from North Korea, to send materials such as anti-regime leaflets, mini radios, food, and USB sticks containing K-pop music videos and TV shows into the North. These actions have provoked strong reactions from Pyongyang. On Sunday, North Korea's vice defense minister condemned the South Korean balloons as "dirty things" and threatened to retaliate by sending "mounds of dirty waste paper and filth" into the South.

In a related move, North Korea attempted to jam GPS signals in South Korea early Wednesday, though no damage was reported. Peter Ward, a research fellow at the Sejong Institute, suggested that sending the balloons is a less dangerous form of provocation compared to direct military action. "These kinds of gray zone tactics are more difficult to counter and hold less risk of uncontrollable military escalation, even if they’re horrid for the civilians who are ultimately targeted," he explained.

The use of such tactics highlights the ongoing psychological warfare and the complex nature of the threats between the two Koreas. The South Korean government remains vigilant and is taking steps to mitigate the impact of these provocations while maintaining a composed and measured response.

Credit: NYP 2024-05-31

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Love this...............:cheesy:

Reporter: North Korea sent balloons into the South that included human waste. Does U.S. have any plans to reciprocate and send American poop across the 38th Parallel? Pentagon Press secretary: Thanks Jeff. We do not

• Haha 2

About 40% (or more) of North Korea's population is undernourished, in starvation.

So I wouldn't expect much excrement from them.

What South Korea is getting is more likely excrement from its limited Upper Class and military.

South Korea should reply by dropping sweets and meats into North Korea.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Srikcir said:

About 40% (or more) of North Korea's population is undernourished, in starvation.

What South Korea is getting is more likely excrement from its limited Upper Class and military.

NK doesn’t have a real economy to speak of so life is rather tough. However, as part of the axis of evil, China and Russia are sending tremendous amount of aid in terms of food and medication as well as dual use components. However, you won’t find this reported in the western media so I’m unable to supply links from verified sources. Just because something is not reported doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Bing Videos

23 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Wow, thanks. "Bing videos" that really tells us what are we clicking on. It might be a cute video of a cat or it might somebody get fired from the job if he opens it in the work. But best your IQ can do is "Bing videos" so we will go with it.

59 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Lots of countries respond to UN requests for NK food aid including:

Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, Norway, France, Germany, Denmark, Finland and Ireland.

You probably wont find that in Chinese and Russian media though.

I wouldn’t know since I don’t follow either, other than CGTN on YT.

It’s really nice and decent of these European countries to help out their fellow humans. I notice the US is not in your list. Speaks volumes.

• Sad 1

They actually built a balloon that was capable of lifting that human excrement little Kim over South Korea !wow the poor South Koreans must have been terrified imagine if they pierced that bag of sh#$ over their country the rain of excrement would have killed thousands!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I wouldn’t know since I don’t follow either, other than CGTN on YT.

It’s really nice and decent of these European countries to help out their fellow humans. I notice the US is not in your list. Speaks volumes.

You claimed you wouldn't find the info about China and Russia in the western media. Where did you find it then? Oh and you are also wrong, it is in Western media.

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

NK doesn’t have a real economy to speak of so life is rather tough. However, as part of the axis of evil, China and Russia are sending tremendous amount of aid in terms of food and medication as well as dual use components. However, you won’t find this reported in the western media so I’m unable to supply links from verified sources. Just because something is not reported doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You claimed you wouldn't find the info about China and Russia in the western media. Where did you find it then? Oh and you are also wrong, it is in Western media.

Wanting to have the last word, as usual. Get a life… :coffee1:

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Wanting to have the last word, as usual. Get a life… :coffee1:

When your stuck in the web you just wove then I guess that's the only response you have left after not backing up your claim. Back to your coffee and avoidance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1