Marrige Certificate

thaiman

When a foreigner gets married to a thai in Thailand what paperwork is issued after being married? A marriage certificate? A marriage license?

Which paperwork is considered to be a legal document in that you can show it to show proof of your marrigae?

You will be given a printed Thai marriage certificate and copies of the documents you signed, You will need to get it properly translated and certified so it can be used in your own country.

Mark

You will be given a printed Thai marriage certificate and copies of the documents you signed, You will need to get it properly translated and certified so it can be used in your own country.

Mark

Yeah, that's the stuff.

of course you only get the Marriage Cert from the Amphur - not from just a Temple / village ceremony. But you probably knew that already :o

Mark

Yeah, that's the stuff.

of course you only get the Marriage Cert from the Amphur - not from just a Temple / village ceremony. But you probably knew that already :o

:D

So, I go get married and at the ceremony i receive somthing like this:

http://www.samuiwestcoast.de/weddings_in_t...in_thailand.jpg

Can this be used as a legal marriage certificate? Or I need to get additional paperwork for proof?

Reason for my asking is that i plan to travel around the world with my new wife and some countries (middle eastern) will require to see a marriage certificate for checking into a hotel together.

So, I go get married and at the ceremony i receive somthing like this:

http://www.samuiwestcoast.de/weddings_in_t...in_thailand.jpg

Can this be used as a legal marriage certificate? Or I need to get additional paperwork for proof?

Reason for my asking is that i plan to travel around the world with my new wife and some countries (middle eastern) will require to see a marriage certificate for checking into a hotel together.

Thats the one, that certificate will be issued at the Amphur when you register your marriage, as I said before, Get it officially translated and legally certified so you can use it in your home country.

Mark

Get it translated and then certified by these people

The Legalisation Division

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.mfa.go.th)

123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

May I ask, are you using a company that organises weddings??????

Mark

Edited by markr

One question along these same lines. We got married in Thailand in a traditional Thai ceremony, but never registered it due to her having a K-1 visa. We then were legally married in U.S. My ques. is, would a US marriage certificate get us registered in Thailand or would we have to be married again in Thailand?

thanx,....dave

One question along these same lines. We got married in Thailand in a traditional Thai ceremony, but never registered it due to her having a K-1 visa. We then were legally married in U.S. My ques. is, would a US marriage certificate get us registered in Thailand or would we have to be married again in Thailand?

thanx,....dave

You get your marriage license registerd by the thai embassy in the U.S. If you still live where you were married it shouldn't take too long. You have to do all your paperwork with the consulate nearest where you got married. In my case I was married in Colorado but lived in California so it took a little more than two months before everything was done. All documents have to be authenticated, so besides the Co dept of state, all my paperwork had to go all the way the U.S. dept of state for a signature, which happended to be Colin Powell at the time.

Your marriage license will need to be translated into Thai. Also, another tip when doing your paperwork, never send them your original documents, request new certified copies from the local marriage licensing in the county you were married. Even though the embassy says they will return your paperwork to you they don't, that is why you must never send any original documents, but legal certified copies.

One gal in the L.A. consulate office was very helpful to us. She told us exactly what to do.

check out the legalization section at the D.C. thai embassy. embassy legalization link

Beachbunny

Thanx Beachbunny. I actually hadn't even thought about that route to take. But to deal with the US gov't anymore than we absolutely have to gives me a headache just thinking about it. A bunch of incompetent morons. We were just at the Embassy in D.C. two weeks to get her passport renewed. The Thai's were alot more helpful and got things done and in the mail alot quicker than the US ever did. But ya gotta love DC, especially this time of year :o , wish I thought of this sooner. Seems like it would be quicker and easier just to get married in Thailand again... :D:D

thx again....dave

Edited by gampaan

Thanx Beachbunny. I actually hadn't even thought about that route to take. But to deal with the US gov't anymore than we absolutely have to gives me a headache just thinking about it. A bunch of incompetent morons. We were just at the Embassy in D.C. two weeks to get her passport renewed. The Thai's were alot more helpful and got things done and in the mail alot quicker than the US ever did. But ya gotta love DC, especially this time of year :o , wish I thought of this sooner. Seems like it would be quicker and easier just to get married in Thailand again... :D:D

thx again....dave

You are already married so getting married again is not an option. Thailand recognizes USA marriages. You don't need to do anything more at all.

You are already married so getting married again is not an option. Thailand recognizes USA marriages. You don't need to do anything more at all.

Do you mean nothing more than what bunny suggested? I still need it registered at the Thai Embassy, .etc...? Or can we just take our Virginia marriage cert. to Thailand and they will recognize it ?

Thanks for your insight.

dave

Do you mean nothing more than what bunny suggested? I still need it registered at the Thai Embassy, .etc...? Or can we just take our Virginia marriage cert. to Thailand and they will recognize it ?

Thanks for your insight.

dave

If you are officially married in the U.S then it is recognised in Thailand, the reason I ask official is, is a Virginian marriage Cert different to a Marriage Cert? If so why differentiate?

Moss

When a foreigner gets married to a thai in Thailand what paperwork is issued after being married? A marriage certificate? A marriage license?

Which paperwork is considered to be a legal document in that you can show it to show proof of your marrigae?

The marriage certificate you got from the Amphur is Kor Ror 3 and approved in Thailand as a legal document to show proof of your marriage.

However, if you want to register your marriage in your home country to you have to ask at the Amphur where you married for a Kor Ror 2. This document they will give you only once.

Both documents must be translated into English and certified by the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, after which you can register your marriage in your home country.

I married 3 months ago and this is what my embassy told me. In case you don't want to register your marrige in your home country than you don't need the Kor Ror 2.

Hope this information is useful for you :o