Airbnb Records a Surge in Indian Tourists Booking Accommodations in Thailand

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Thai government credited a visa-free policy for a significant rise in Indian tourists booking accommodations in Thailand. Announced by government spokesperson Chai Watcharong, the policy, active from May 11th to November 11th, aims to boost tourism and invigorate the Thai economy.

This initiative follows Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin's introduction of the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV) and complementary visa policies designed to make the country more attractive to tourists. Airbnb's recent data underscores the success of these measures, reporting a 60% rise in bookings by Indian tourists from 2022 to 2023.

More strikingly, searches for Thai accommodations by Indian tourists on Airbnb have surged by over 200% in 2024, particularly during major holidays such as Holi and Easter.

The top destinations for Indian visitors are Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Krabi, and Koh Samui. Chai pointed out that the data reflects a substantial interest from Indian tourists, especially younger travellers from Generation Z and Generation Y, who make up over 80% of Airbnb bookings.

Their preferred settings range from properties with private pools to accommodations near beaches, national parks, and bustling urban centres. Typically, these travellers tend to book in groups of three to five or more, emphasising the social nature of their trips.

Prime Minister Srettha expressed confidence in the visa-free policy and other tourism initiatives, highlighting their role in attracting foreign tourists. He believes that these proactive measures will continue to drive tourist numbers upward, thereby sustaining growth in Thailand's vital tourism industry. The government also indicated that further policies are in the pipeline to reinforce this upward trend in tourism.

Picture courtesy: Positioning

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Thai government credited a visa-free policy for a significant rise in Indian tourists booking accommodations in Thailand. Announced by government spokesperson Chai Watcharong, the policy, active from May 11th to November 11th, aims to boost tourism and invigorate the Thai economy.

This initiative follows Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin's introduction of the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV) and complementary visa policies designed to make the country more attractive to tourists. Airbnb's recent data underscores the success of these measures, reporting a 60% rise in bookings by Indian tourists from 2022 to 2023.

More strikingly, searches for Thai accommodations by Indian tourists on Airbnb have surged by over 200% in 2024, particularly during major holidays such as Holi and Easter.

The top destinations for Indian visitors are Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Krabi, and Koh Samui. Chai pointed out that the data reflects a substantial interest from Indian tourists, especially younger travellers from Generation Z and Generation Y, who make up over 80% of Airbnb bookings.

Their preferred settings range from properties with private pools to accommodations near beaches, national parks, and bustling urban centres. Typically, these travellers tend to book in groups of three to five or more, emphasising the social nature of their trips.

Prime Minister Srettha expressed confidence in the visa-free policy and other tourism initiatives, highlighting their role in attracting foreign tourists. He believes that these proactive measures will continue to drive tourist numbers upward, thereby sustaining growth in Thailand's vital tourism industry. The government also indicated that further policies are in the pipeline to reinforce this upward trend in tourism.

Picture courtesy: Positioning

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

OH Buddha !!! Now Thailand will now smell just like India. Curry and foul putrid human sweat. 

Posted (edited)

I was going to write 'cue racist comments about Indians', but I was too late. Coming from the UK, I've encountered many, many Indians, the result of 1 - the UK colonizing their country and 2 - Idi Amins' expulsion of 50,000 Indian holders of British passports from Uganda in 1972. All that I've know were fine people. A customer of the record shop I managed, who I called Turbie and Turban Top. We went on holiday to Sweden and Finland together. I had an Indian lady boss in a later job, who invited me to dinner with her family. And I shared a house with an Indian family, them upstairs and me down. The only downside back then, late 60s ad  early 70s was that, often, the daughters were out of bounds to us as those early arrivals did not encourage their daughters from mixing with us. Sad, as there were some beauties there.

If those Indians who visit Thailand fall short of the standards I've experienced myself, then it is another example of Thailand attracting the bottom of the barrel, as with many of the Chinese that come here. Most Indians do not order a coke and five straws, the same as most Chinese do not attack the hotel buffet like vultures or let their kids s*** in the street.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Agree 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:16 AM, Lorry said:

Every single condo in my neighborhood has big signs in the lobby that short time rentals are illegal and will be punished.

And if a foreigner asks whether rooms are avalable the answer is not "yes" or "no", the answer is "one year contract!!!"

But the signs are only in Thai,  English and Chinese,  they are not in Indian.

BTW the signs are not in Koren either,  that explains why I see so many Korean tourists checking in and out at these condos 🙂

Why would they let Korean tourists stay short time but not some other nationals? 

1 minute ago, JemJem said:

Why would they let Korean tourists stay short time but not some other nationals? 

That might have some thing to do with who owns the units, and which OTA's they are advertising on, could be a Korean site