Thailand To Welcome Over 56,000 Skilled Foreign Workers with Streamlined Visas

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is vigorously working to enhance its workforce by attracting skilled foreign professionals

Something the education ministry should be doing.

1 hour ago, MarkBR said:

Reform of education system is critical.  Maybe foreign teachers should be considered experts in subjects necessary to helping Thailand's education system.  Just a thought for consideration.

Thailands decades long system of school indoctrination and under educating the masses is now biting them in the arse... the rest of the world has moved ahead with high technology and Thailand is stuck 50 years in the past, with a feudal elite system and a broken government.

• Love It 2

Shortly after I retired here nearly 11 years ago, I was approached by 3 regional educational institutions (including 2 universities) offering me employment opportunities either teaching or doing research.  I explained to the representatives that I was in Thailand on a "retirement" visa, and thus could not legally work in Thailand.   However, if the institutions submitted the required documentation to "immigration" so that I could obtain a "work" visa, which I could later change back to a "retirement" visa, then I could be happy to work for them.   In each case, after 4-6 weeks, I was advised that the "massive red tape" requirement was not worth the effort.  If I was not in my very late 50s, it may have been a slightly different story, from the educational institutions' perspective.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

50 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Shortly after I retired here nearly 11 years ago, I was approached by 3 regional educational institutions (including 2 universities) offering me employment opportunities either teaching or doing research.  I explained to the representatives that I was in Thailand on a "retirement" visa, and thus could not legally work in Thailand.   However, if the institutions submitted the required documentation to "immigration" so that I could obtain a "work" visa, which I could later change back to a "retirement" visa, then I could be happy to work for them.   In each case, after 4-6 weeks, I was advised that the "massive red tape" requirement was not worth the effort.  If I was not in my very late 50s, it may have been a slightly different story, from the educational institutions' perspective.

Thailand is losing out on a lot of expertise among the farang who have retired.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Thailand is losing out on a lot of expertise among the farang who have retired.

Expat Retirees get about as much respect as Soi Dogs in Thailand....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This includes over 50,000 managers

Managers?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  Skilled?  :cheesy:  50K out of 56K are managers!  That's hilarious. 

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

They probably wanted you to teach for nothing. 

How did they know your qualifications, or was it just because you are a farang?

7 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Reform of education system is critical.  Maybe foreign teachers should be considered experts in subjects necessary to helping Thailand's education system.  Just a thought for consideration.

There is a hierarchical social ladder conflict here; teachers are high up the ladder whereas farang are not on it. Thai teachers certainly don't want foreigners who have better qualifications than them! 

I agree the system sucks, I was a teacher here for over 25 years.

As i look around in my place there are almost no foreign teachers anymore, compared with a few years ago. If there are indeed so many skilled foreigners here I am wondering what and where they work. It seems a TAT number to me more than a reality

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

scrap the Thai language fast and convert to English. Thai is a dying language that is useless beyond its borders and nearly useless for critical or technical dialogue. if Thailand wants to leapfrog the sick man status and become current in asia, that is...

Edited by cncltd1973

Get them in with all kinds of extravagant promises from the BOI and then, change the tax laws on them without providing any details as it is all left to the discretion of of individual revenue officers.  That's the way to do it.