Cabinet Approves VAT on All Imports Exceeding 1 Baht

On 6/5/2024 at 5:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

Aat Pisanwanich, an independent analyst on international trade, warns that unless more measures are put in place to support Thai entrepreneurs, they may disappear altogether within the next five years.

That's funny.  Do they think that more and more protectionist measures will make people want to buy from uncompetitive Thai businesses?  Accept reality.

Totally stupid. But I ordered some stuff from the US a few months back. It was packed and sent in mid April and at the end of May I gave it up for lost. Anyway, I went away on vacation for a few days and the pack arrived at home. Now I put the value of the stuff as $150 and I have to assume it arrived here in Thailand after May1st when they started collecting the VAT on all parcels. The people riding our house told us that the mail people didn't ask us to pay any tax or VAT. So it arrived and they never collected a nickel. 

On 6/6/2024 at 7:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who will collect the taxes?

Who will check the value of whatever arrives here?

This is one of those stupid ideas which is impossible to implement.

How many people will be hired to check the parcels, check the value, write the bills, and collect the money? And how much will this administration cost? Does anybody really have to think for more than a minute to realize that is just a stupid idea?

T.I.T.

• Like 1

a) wondering how delighted the online platforms will be as the collection would have to be done when ordering and hence the platform will have to do the accounting work. 
b) someone has to pay for those engineless submarines and all the other funny ideas the last few governments had. 

c) wondering if anyone has any common sense in one of the temples of inspirational governance.