Non O cancellation

Maybe some experts here can advise me on this case:

I am on 1 year extension based on retirement. I have a also a multi re-entry permit. This extension is valid until 7th June (Tomorrow). Last entry in Thailand was 31th May and i was stamped with permission to stay until 7th June (As per my extension validity). I am flying to Vietnam tomorrow.

It is clear for me that as I have not renew my extension, my next entry (next week) will visa exempt.

At the meantime, my company is relocating from Vietnam to Thailand. They are proceeding now the necessary with the BOI to provide me the necessary documentations to apply Non B in Thai embassy in Vietnam and further extension and work permit. 

They are using one agent to coordinate with BOI.

Now, the agent is insisting for me to go immigration the day i am leaving Thailand (tomorrow) to get my Non O cancelled. It said it will create problem when applying the next extension based on the Non B.

But i am getting confused as I have not proceed any extension renewal and my extension will expired tomorrow in any case, same as the 90days Non O that I got 1 year ago.

Leaving the country without a re-entry permit voids a Visa or a extension of stay automatically. The agent SHOULD know the above.

You can (re)enter Thailand ( depending on your passport country ) for 15, 30 or 60 ( new) days permission.  Your company SHOULD have the necessary paperwork in order ....hopefully in theory...

and be able to provide you with everything you need going forward

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

The agent SHOULD know the above

I'm sure he does, but most likely, IMHO, he gets some sort of compensation for each time he accompanies someone to immigration for the company.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lom said:

Your non-O visa expired long before, your extension is an extension of "allowed to stay until.."  and it expires 7th of June so then you have neither a valid visa nor a valid extension. You don't need to do anything and there is nothing for immigration to cancel.

That does sound a bit contradictory, after all, I too have a retirement extension based on NON-O for many years, with this visa, no additional health insurance is required.
That is required if any other type of visa.
So in my opinion, the rules that apply to NON-O are still applied.

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

So in my opinion, the rules that apply to NON-O are still applied.

The type of visa eg non O vs non O-A sets the requirements for extension of your permission of stay.

As you pointed out requirement of insurance.

The post you quoted is fully correct. 

When he exits Thailand on his stated dates the non O is history. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Leaving the country without a re-entry permit voids a Visa or a extension of stay automatically. The agent SHOULD know the above.

You can (re)enter Thailand ( depending on your passport country ) for 15, 30 or 60 ( new) days permission.  Your company SHOULD have the necessary paperwork in order ....hopefully in theory...

and be able to provide you with everything you need going forward

he has a re-entry permit but that is irrelevant his extension expires on the 7th

• Thumbs Up 1

you dont need to do anything.

when you are leaving thailand you are also leaving your visa behind.

that agency is most likely a lawyer or lawyer firm. ignore him. come back with your new non-b and give him your passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks all for your feedback. And your feedback is actually a confirmation of what i told the agent. Even the HR in my company agrees with me.

The points you highlighted are correct. 1/ my actual extension expired on 7th June. As i didn't process the renewal, I need to leave tomorrow

2/ my re-entry permit (multi) is linked to my extension and valid with my extension. I won't be able to use even if i re-enter on the 8th of June

3/ my original non O and extension is based on retirement. I was clearly confirmed by the same agent that i need to get a non B to proceed work permit and extension as it won't possible based on the non o that I got.

Anyway, i have a flight tomorrow to Vietnam and if I don't take it, I will be on overstay and I don't want that in any case.

Thanks all for your feedback

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Leaving the country without a re-entry permit voids a Visa or a extension of stay automatically.

This is untrue, leaving the country does not void a valid permission of stay automatically, (as many people have found out).

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Leaving the Country ends your current permission of stay, unless you have a re-entry permit, or a valid ME visa to re-enter. 

Try leaving with an extension of stay based on work (without cancelling it), and then coming back in to try and get another same/different extension.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Try leaving with an extension of stay based on work (without cancelling it), and then coming back in to try and get another same/different extension.

Would relevance is that to do with this topic?

On 6/6/2024 at 8:21 AM, jphasia said:

I am on 1 year extension based on retirement.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Would relevance is that to do with this topic?

Good point and to answer you I refer you to the first post I made that was not in response to the OP, but to a poster who posted incorrect information.

My post was mildly relevant as it did refer to cancelling extensions of stay.

Just pointing out that sometimes you do have to cancel an extension to prevent problems down the line.

🙂