Suzuki to Halt Car Production in Thailand by End of Next Year

webfact

If only Thailand had an educated workforce, then they could design and build their own cars. 

Pity about Suzuki, I fancied the Swift as a second car.

Edited by Purdey
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

If only Thailand had an educated workforce, then they could design and build their own cars. 

Pity about Suzuki, I fancied the Swift as a second car.

You can still buy a Swift and do so in the future, it will be produced/assembled in another country...........:clap2:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Start of the exodus.... 

Not really.  As a car buyer, I have more choices now than I did in 2010, when I first arrived.  Yes, Chevrolet left.  But MG arrived.  BYD arrived.  And Tesla, Hyundhai, Jeep, and KIA.  Plus Aion and Neta.  And, Changan.  And, GWM.

A company, whatever the product, leaving a market is, in many cases, more a sign of problems with the company than a market.  The previously mentioned Chevrolet is a good example, with its limited and somewhat dated product offered in Thailand that couldn't compete very well--and likely would be even more so now with the increased competition.  Rather than making a major investment to try to get back in the game, Chevrolet chose to exit and put its money elsewhere.

Say what you will about the Chinese car manufacturers.  They are making big investments in Thailand, with both fresh, and varied, new product and new dealerships.  For example, until recently, I never thought of MG as being much of an auto company but here in Thailand they sell a luxury passenger van, a truck, a sedan, and at least 3 or 4 different suv models.  Plus, maybe we'll get the new Cyberster sports car down the road.  Compare that to the limited offerings of some of the other companies, some of which are struggling.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Not really.  As a car buyer, I have more choices now than I did in 2010, when I first arrived.  Yes, Chevrolet left.  But MG arrived.  BYD arrived.  And Tesla, Hyundhai, Jeep, and KIA.  Plus Aion and Neta.  And, Changan.  And, GWM.

A company, whatever the product, leaving a market is, in many cases, more a sign of problems with the company than a market.  The previously mentioned Chevrolet is a good example, with its limited and somewhat dated product offered in Thailand that couldn't compete very well--and likely would be even more so now with the increased competition.  Rather than making a major investment to try to get back in the game, Chevrolet chose to exit and put its money elsewhere.

Say what you will about the Chinese car manufacturers.  They are making big investments in Thailand, with both fresh, and varied, new product and new dealerships.  For example, until recently, I never thought of MG as being much of an auto company but here in Thailand they sell a luxury passenger van, a truck, a sedan, and at least 3 or 4 different suv models.  Plus, maybe we'll get the new Cyberster sports car down the road.  Compare that to the limited offerings of some of the other companies, some of which are struggling.

clueless

• Like 1

Not surprised - many big multinationals are exiting Thailand.  A number of articles in recent years have highlighted several issues - too much corruption, too much red tape, poor infrastructure, low worker productivity, poor worker attitude, and falling demand.  Thailand needs a little more personal attitude adjustment and major structural reforms to become a more attractive investment location.

22 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Do you mean the same as Mitsubishi, Holden etc closing their Australian plants?

This is a story about Thailand, stick to it, is it so hard, wait, don't answer, we know what it is.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

All imports.

Fine with me. I don't care where they are built.  I just like having more choice when I go shopping for an automobile than I had in 2010 when I first came here.  

• Agree 1