New UK Passport In Bangkok

Hi 

I have made a booking for a new passport at VFS in Bangkok. I see they have a new location. My question is section 10 Countersignature. I am travelling directly from work overseas to apply for my new passport. I have nobody available to countersign or sign the photographs. Is this still required when going in person or will the VFS representative confirm who I am? I also require some type of proof of address which I don't have, will this be an issue. All of the mail we receive is in my wife's name.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Toby

6 minutes ago, baneko said:

Hi 

I have made a booking for a new passport at VFS in Bangkok. I see they have a new location. My question is section 10 Countersignature. I am travelling directly from work overseas to apply for my new passport. I have nobody available to countersign or sign the photographs. Is this still required when going in person or will the VFS representative confirm who I am? I also require some type of proof of address which I don't have, will this be an issue. All of the mail we receive is in my wife's name.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Toby

This section 10 ?

You only need to get your form countersigned if you are applying: For a first passport. To replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you have a Thai bank account , your name & address will be on a bank statement 

I am going directly to Bangkok so won't make it to my local branch. I will try to get a statement with address online. If not I can try a bank in Bangkok.

8 hours ago, baneko said:

I am going directly to Bangkok so won't make it to my local branch. I will try to get a statement with address online. If not I can try a bank in Bangkok.

If you have time get your wife to copy her passport ID page and write:-

"I confirm that my husband Mr Baneko lives with me at 1 Acacia Avenue, The Heights, Hong Kong"

Then she signs it.

Liverpool are not obstructive and have accepted such evidence before. For expats living in Thailand it can be harder because they don't receive bank statements etc.

If you can do that, don't let VfS try and tell you it is not on their list. They have no authority, just advise them to submit as presented.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am a expat in Thailand and have obtained a bank statement for the last 15 years for my 1 year marriage extension. All Thai banks provide statement upon request, you can also update your bank passport on a regular basis to record your transactions.

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:
4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

For expats living in Thailand it can be harder because they don't receive bank statements etc.

Thai driving licence for proof of address, if you have one,

for my wife's Uk passport i had a local friendly hotel owner, write a letter on headed paper that she was living at that hotel.

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

For expats living in Thailand it can be harder because they don't receive bank statements etc.

You can get a bank statement at any branch of your bank, shows your address. Takes 10min, bank book, passport, 100 baht.

If you have 3-5 days before the appointment, order something from Lazada online and ask for an invoice with your name on the address. This is the easiest solution.

If you have a bank account here in your name, then you can get a bank statement for 200 Baht. 

Proof of your wife's address probably won't be accepted because they don't know if you live with her.

If you call VFS they can tell you if a guarantee letter from your wife is acceptable. They speak English if your Thai is poor.

Edited by renaissanc

14 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you have a Thai bank account , your name & address will be on a bank statement 

Make sure it's in English text

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This section 10 ?

You only need to get your form countersigned if you are applying: For a first passport. To replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.

Incomplete!  A countersignature on the application form is also required if your appearance has changed significantly from the current passport. One photo also needs to be signed as per the wording shown on the application.  A signed photo alone is insufficient.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

Thai driving licence for proof of address, if you have one,

for my wife's Uk passport i had a local friendly hotel owner, write a letter on headed paper that she was living at that hotel.

Driving licence is fine, but VFS required a  photocopy of it in colour.

17 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

You can get a bank statement at any branch of your bank, shows your address. Takes 10min, bank book, passport, 100 baht.

I said they don't receive them, I didn't day they couldn't get them. I am sure you are aware that not all banks issue them on the spot.....a friend had to wait 3 days.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:12 AM, hotandsticky said:

If you can do that, don't let VfS try and tell you it is not on their list. They have no authority, just advise them to submit as presented.

IMHO they have no authority to demand proof of address, period, particularly bearing in mind that they won't mail your new passport on to you once received from the UK. That said, they may be acting under strict orders from their dim-witted HMPO masters back in the UK, of course.

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

IMHO they have no authority to demand proof of address, period, particularly bearing in mind that they won't mail your new passport on to you once received from the UK. That said, they may be acting under strict orders from their dim-witted HMPO masters back in the UK, of course.

VfS have no authority - full stop .

Terrorism, money laundering etc, etc will be the lame-ass government requirement that drives HMPO.

On 6/11/2024 at 5:37 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

You only need to get your form countersigned if you are applying: 

That is correct---I have just lodged mine with agent---and the statement from them was no Counter signature required on form or Photo if your over 60......