Four American Educators Stabbed in Northeast China Park

Social Media

image.png.440ff9d6273cc9ce7daab64c5bc48d4b.png

Beijing: Four American educators from a small university in Iowa were injured in a stabbing attack on Monday in a public park in northeast China's Jilin province, according to officials from both China and the United States.

China's foreign ministry confirmed on Tuesday that the attack appeared to be random and assured that it would not affect the usual exchanges between the US and China. Representative Adam Zabner of Iowa revealed that his brother was among the victims.

image.png.3fe3b5eb8d5bdc090543871b1d553ded.png

"My brother, David Zabner, was wounded in the arm during a stabbing attack while visiting a temple in Jilin City, China," Zabner told Reuters. The group was visiting a temple in Beishan Park when they were attacked by a man wielding a knife. "The police have preliminarily judged that this was a random incident, but an investigation is ongoing," said Lin Jian, spokesperson for China’s foreign ministry, during a daily briefing.

China's foreign ministry pledged to continue taking effective measures to ensure the safety of outdoor activities. A video showing people lying on the ground in the park, covered in blood, circulated on social media platform X on Monday. However, no trace of these images was found on Chinese social media. Reuters confirmed the location by identifying Chinese characters on a wall, along with the wall's structure and the layout of the path, though the time the video was shot remains unverified.

A spokesperson for the US State Department stated via email that they were aware of reports regarding a "stabbing incident" in Jilin, China, and were closely monitoring the situation. The educators from Cornell College were part of a teaching exchange program with Beihua University in Jilin City. Iowa Congress representative Mariannette Miller-Meeks mentioned on X that efforts were being made to ensure the victims received proper medical care and could leave China safely.

"We are working through proper channels and requesting to speak with the US Embassy on appropriate matters to ensure that the victims first receive quality care for their injuries and then get out of China in a medically feasible manner," Miller-Meeks wrote. Earlier this year, Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged to invite 50,000 young Americans to China for study programs to enhance people-to-people ties. However, the US State Department maintains a Level 3 travel advisory for China, warning of possible arbitrary detention and exit bans.

Currently, fewer than 900 American exchange students are studying in China, compared to over 290,000 Chinese students in the US, according to American data. This incident highlights the unpredictable risks faced by foreign nationals in China and underscores the importance of vigilance and security measures in international educational exchanges.

Credit: CNA News 2024-06-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Given Chinas anti western stance, their pumping of this message to their citizens, all it takes is one unhinged person listening to it to take matters into their own hands. The virus years of lockdown & blame game about origins, only seems to have intensified their cultural xenophobia. 

I visited Shanghai, parts of the Yangtze back when. Always wanted to trek Tiger Leaping Gorge & visit Lijiang/Dali but realizing now that will never happen. By the time things get better, I will be too old. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, roquefort said:

'This incident highlights the unpredictable risks faced by foreign nationals in China.'

B*l***ks. You're more likely to be attacked in most cities in the US and Europe than in China. And do we really need a photo of a huge knife to know what a stabbing looks like?

Yeah.. once again they add "this incident highlights" something that is really irrelevant to facts. This is something new they have been doing or perhaps their writers or AI generated article have been instructed to find something to use this way. Usually, it is B.S. though.

24 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Yeah.. once again they add "this incident highlights" something that is really irrelevant to facts. This is something new they have been doing or perhaps their writers or AI generated article have been instructed to find something to use this way. Usually, it is B.S. though.

It's definitely AI. And since AI is mostly trained on BS, that's what you get. GIGO.

3 hours ago, roquefort said:

And do we really need a photo of a huge knife to know what a stabbing looks like?

Yes, it enhances the sensationalism 

3 hours ago, roquefort said:

'This incident highlights the unpredictable risks faced by foreign nationals in China.'

B*l***ks. You're more likely to be attacked in most cities in the US and Europe than in China. And do we really need a photo of a huge knife to know what a stabbing looks like?

Careful! I have frequently commented negatively on the standard of reporting presented to us, and was recently threatened with permanent removal as what I write might hurt the feeling of the writers. God forbid they be pulled up for their unprofessionalism. The excuse given for AN's stance is that the site is free and they can't afford anything better, so we must shut up and put up. The mod had a point.

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Careful! I have frequently commented negatively on the standard of reporting presented to us, and was recently threatened with permanent removal as what I write might hurt the feeling of the writers. God forbid they be pulled up for their unprofessionalism. The excuse given for AN's stance is that the site is free and they can't afford anything better, so we must shut up and put up. The mod had a point.

Fair enough. If you're scraping the barrel I suppose you can't expect much in the way of professional journalism. Not that the Western media is much better. Most of it is written by robots now anyway.

• Sad 1

Americans behave like colonialists not only in China but also in Thailand and many other countries. Are you sure that Americans were stabbed by Chinese for no reason?

I don't know anyone of my friends in America who don't carry guns anyway.......Chinese are hardworking business people and they do not want to be insulted by anyone.

why are we still allowing Chinese students to have an American education? they have clearly been using that information to the CCP's advantage and to our national detriment. we should've realized when the CCP was sending students to Harvard and MIT that something was wrong

• Thumbs Up 1