Renowned Thai school shifts to partial online teaching, 500+ fail test

webfact

On 6/13/2024 at 9:48 AM, JeffersLos said:

So a student that scores 81% gets the same grade as a student that gets 100%?

Yes and no. The grade of 80 and 100 are submitted. On the official transcript they both net a 4.0.

Yes, it's a laff

On 6/13/2024 at 9:48 AM, JeffersLos said:

So a student that scores 81% gets the same grade as a student that gets 100%?

Yes and no. The grade of 80 and 100 are submitted to registrar. On the official transcript they both net a 4.0.

Yes, it's a laff

On 6/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, brianthainess said:

Oh dear there is enough physical contact by teachers in schools already, Presence is a lot difference to Contact. Helpful Verbal Interaction is what they really need.

My daughter went to an International school that used online learning during the pandemic years.  She graduated HS 2 years ago speaking, reading, writing 4 languages.  She also taught beginner Chinese at a different HS during her junior year.  The school purchased the online classes (1-12 grade) prior to the COVID years because of the pollution in CM where the school sometimes closed during the world class pollution.  Besides Chinese (in which she even won HS awards), she self-taught herself Korean well enough to score at lever 4 on the International Korean proficiency test ( and now is at summer school in Korea at the Seoul National University) and pre-test for the summer language school put her in the level 4 class, she is native in English and Thai although she did not have to study Thai the last few years as she has a US passport too.  She excels in Math and computer science both attributed to the online as well as classroom teaching.  She said about the online teaching that she missed the interface regularly with both her friends and the teachers.  While doing the online learning, there were many online sessions too with the teachers and it takes both in order for the online system to work.  Our daughter is doing

very well in college so at the very least, the online learning was not any kind of negative.  Our experience with online learning anyway including foreign language training.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:04 PM, Cabradelmar said:

Private schools are no better than public schools in Thailand. People are simply paying for a passing grade in private. The teachers in private schools aren't even suppose to tell the students when their wrong (real story from my friend who is a teachers aid in a private school in Bangkok). 

Yes, I too changed schools for my daughter when I was told by a teacher and the school head who reportedly prepared the homework papers, that the papers were correct and no changes were allowed yet I as an English speaker showed them in an online training program just how wrong those assignments were.  After  my chats with both levels, we moved and found a much better school.  I favor the internationals schools that my family has experienced compared to the local schools - but early on in schooling I saw the difference between building a school progressive system as opposed to just making without chance of failing.  good luck to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, Yellowtail said:

Why do so many Americans, Britons and Australians with money send their kids to Thailand to study? 

The big failing with Thai education is English, and going to university in will help a lot with that and it will give them a leg-up if they want to work for an international company. They can also get work permits while they are there and get good work experience. What percentage of "Thais with money" do you think send their kids to the US, UK and Australia anyway? I'm betting it's small. 

And unless they are sending them to a boarding school for K-12, they still have to rely on their Thai education to pass the placement tests to schools abroad, correct? 

I would not argue that STEM programs at universities in the US are not better than the STEM programs at universities in Thailand, I do not think they are, but for anything else, I doubt it. I know that K-12 public schools in California are horrendous, and the K-12 schools my boy went to in Thailand were excellent. 

There are some great K-12 public schools in the US, but not many. Why do so many Americans "with money" send their kids to private schools if the schools in the US are so good? 

Most international schools if they are accredited with foreign educational organizations have many local Thai children, some schools offer scholarships for bright locals that couldn't normally afford it and these local kids are usually going to an international school specializing in either EU or US universities and some local Thais go to some of the top universities in the US or EU countries.  I do believe that if a Thai plans on an overseas higher level of learning, they normally do not  do it through k-12 in a Thai school only unless it has exceptional teachers as well as having a student willing to put in extra work.  There might be such schools, but we originally sent our daughter to a school with a 2-year waiting list k-12 grades, lots of foreign teachers so she took the aptitude test, did well enough and enrolled, after two years he school fired most foreign teachers, dropped to k-6 grade only, and expanded the kindergarten because the scholl could charge much more per student since k'ers needed 3 teachers per class, after that,

the reputation of the school faltered.  My duaghter actually went to 5 different elementary schools - all with teaching and learning problems until we decided on an international school.  Yeah it cost more, even more per year than college  does but well worth every penny (or baht) spent based on results.  My daughter didn't fall behind the class every year as my wife and I spent many hours also working with her every day.  That is also why we recognized immediately to find a better learning environment for her.  The teachers in the local schools loved her as she was their top student but not because of the teachers and their methods and the way the schools operated.  Best of luck to all expats with children and their education while here.  Friends who are happy with their kids schooling have always been at the international schools and has always been the same experiences  I noted.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:13 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

That's the entire issue yeah, parents here expect the school to do the 'parenting' job as well. So a hybrid model is doomed to fail in that case, until they change (never).

Well what total experiences have you had?  many kids re being raised by their grandparents who also have to care for the house and even in many case must still work while the parents of the children go off to the big cities for work.  The grandparents most likely have forgotten any book-learning that they did have if they even went to school let alone high school or higher.  Thus I note kids of fairly well-off seemingly families still being raised mostly by the grandparents and I seldom see any study time unless it is later when the children should be asleep.  All the kids not matter how young  are playing with their

phones, music or games I guess.  Our daughter was limited by the wife on amount of time she  could do her phone time.  I am older so never  even came close to being hooked on a cell  phone and sure can't understand the attraction and the amount of time people spend on the phones today.  I note too a long-delayed US report on the health dangers of cell phones but doubt there will be any change in parentage supervision. Good luck

On 6/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, Yellowtail said:

Why do so many Americans, Britons and Australians with money send their kids to Thailand to study? 

The big failing with Thai education is English, and going to university in will help a lot with that and it will give them a leg-up if they want to work for an international company. They can also get work permits while they are there and get good work experience. What percentage of "Thais with money" do you think send their kids to the US, UK and Australia anyway? I'm betting it's small. 

And unless they are sending them to a boarding school for K-12, they still have to rely on their Thai education to pass the placement tests to schools abroad, correct? 

I would not argue that STEM programs at universities in the US are not better than the STEM programs at universities in Thailand, I do not think they are, but for anything else, I doubt it. I know that K-12 public schools in California are horrendous, and the K-12 schools my boy went to in Thailand were excellent. 

There are some great K-12 public schools in the US, but not many. Why do so many Americans "with money" send their kids to private schools if the schools in the US are so good? 

Actually my older daughter (54) went to a local school in Pacific Grove, California.. They had a program with Arizona State in which the 6th graders took the SAT and my daughter after international schools until the Calf  school scored higher than the national average that year.  I realize too that public schools in the US have been failing more and more in providing a great education for all.  Since my children have spent most of their school years overseas, I cannot really tell much about failures in the US but my co-workers always complained and mostly they said because of the teachers.  But, if any parent can control where their kids are being schooled, you must closely follow what is happening at that school before it is too late.  Good luck

2 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

Because it is. I what world to you live in? The exam should be achievable with reasonable amount of study and effort.

Oh, "because", got it.