Anyone used TISCO for investment?

My company uses them.

I participate to enjoy 15% tax exemption but nothing more that that. They don't know how to invest money. They are actually loosing them for most of my coworkers. 

I hope we will change company soon.

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Agree 1

I would strongly advise you do your investing offshore rather than here, why? Because there is so little governance and protection, fees are so high and all the alternatives far safer and cheaper. I also have been burned here after investing via an asset management company of a well known bank. The problem was not the bank, the problem was the Thai financial governance law which always favors the corporate rather than the individual investor. Case in point was shares held by the fund in Thai Airways which went bankrupt. The bankruptcy court allowed them to reclaim dividends paid on their stock, since the date of purchase. That meant that the fund held class A shares for 20 years and had to repay all the income from them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

shares held by the fund in Thai Airways which went bankrupt. The bankruptcy court allowed them to reclaim dividends paid on their stock, since the date of purchase. That meant that the fund held class A shares for 20 years and had to repay all the income from them.

I find this very difficult to believe.  I also haven't been able to find a confirming sources through Internet search.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I find this very difficult to believe.  I also haven't been able to find a confirming sources through Internet search.

UOBAM LTF Fund.....I don't know if there's anything on the web but there may be, either that or under the Thai Airways bankruptcy. There were other AN members who were impacted by this.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:22 AM, villageidiotY2K said:

Hi folks, as the subject are they any good?

https://www.tisco.co.th/en/personal/investment/global-trade.html

I heard from a Thai that this is the firm companies in Thailand mostly use to invest provident fund.

So its fail safe and must be guuud right?

What do you think?

The link is about TISCO's international brokerage account service.  I imagine it is good as the other leading Thai brokers.  It is useful, if you have Thai baht onshore and want to invest in stocks of your choice in overseas stock markets.  They cover a variety of overseas markets but bear in mind the new remittance tax and planned global tax for Thai residents.  The comments about the unfair restructuring of THAI are not very very relevant in the context of an account that allows you to actively trade stocks overseas.  I have not used this service with TISCO or any other Thai broker, as I have my own brokerage accounts overseas that allow me to trade in a variety of different markets.  But I do have a domestic brokerage account with TISCO and have no complaints about that. 

If you do have Thai baht that you want to invest in offshore markets, you might consider some of the overseas funds offered by Thai fund management companies, since they allow you to Thai tax on capital gains.  Aberdeen offers a few of its international funds in Thai wrappings.  Krung Thai Asset management has some surprisingly good funds for a government bank.  All of them have some but the overall selection available is rather limited, although worth looking at for the tax advantage for onshore money.    The Thai market languishes in what looks like a terminal ex-growth condition due to years of hopeless economic management and lack of planning and foresight by endless streams of incompetent and corrupt politicians and officials, culminating today in the dead end economic policies of Srettha/Tony which comprise nothing much more than the ruinous digital wallet scam, endless ineffectual overseas roadshows and a lot of whinging about not enough zero dollar Chinese tour groups plus chasing away foreign capital inflows with new unthought through tax rules  But it will go up again one day.  So it is worth looking at high yield stocks paying 4%+ dividends.  Thai stocks are capital gains tax free and hopefully that will again be relevant at some time in the future.                

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

If you do have Thai baht that you want to invest in offshore markets, you might consider some of the overseas funds offered by Thai fund management companies, since they allow you to Thai tax on capital gains.  Aberdeen offers a few of its international funds in Thai wrappings.  Krung Thai Asset management has some surprisingly good funds for a government bank.  All of them have some but the overall selection available is rather limited, although worth looking at for the tax advantage for onshore money.    The Thai market languishes in what looks like a terminal ex-growth condition due to years of hopeless economic management and lack of planning and foresight by endless streams of incompetent and corrupt politicians and officials, culminating today in the dead end economic policies of Srettha/Tony which comprise nothing much more than the ruinous digital wallet scam, endless ineffectual overseas roadshows and a lot of whinging about not enough zero dollar Chinese tour groups plus chasing away foreign capital inflows with new unthought through tax rules  But it will go up again one day.  So it is worth looking at high yield stocks paying 4%+ dividends.  Thai stocks are capital gains tax free and hopefully that will again be relevant at some time in the future.                

This morning I went to Krungthai bank to set up my APP NEXT. And on the APP it shows list of funds.

Eye catching ones are like KT-JPFUND +13%, KT-ENERGY 17%.

I don't know much about these funds, and if u are kind enought could pls explain below?

1) what do these % represent? Is the % gain from a year ago?

2) On the NEXT APP, theres 3 categories on "Tactical funds" What are they?

a) Fixed income

b) Balanced

c) Equity

3) There numbers on "Risk"  I see mostly Risk 5 & risk 6, what do they mean?

4) These funds are they like stock and you can sell anytime?

5) Also what do you mean by the bold highlight on your comment regarding tax advantage? 

Do u mean if I hold these funds, they can deduct income tax? (Same as health insurance tax reduction scheme?)

I have been using bualuang broker (Bangkok bank) to trade thai stocks mostly on energy. (PTT, OR, BANPU, NOKAIR)

But im losing around 50% now (around 1.5MB) and NOK air bankrupted and stock just remains in my portfolio. 

I've asked the broker, I couldnt sell the remianing NOK stocks or do anything about it. So that means its down the toilet and i dont get any back?

Dividends on my current stock brings around 100KB a year, but thats small compared to initial investment of 3MB?

Edited by villageidiotY2K

29 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Eye catching ones are like KT-JPFUND +13%, KT-ENERGY 17%.

I don't know much about these funds, and if u are kind enought could pls explain below?

1) what do these % represent? Is the % gain from a year ago?

The app clearly states that they are one-year past performance and it also shows performance graphs for longer periods.