Snake came to visit.

Georgealbert

A Sattahip family came home, to discover they had an unwelcome visitor. Local responders caught the snake and released it unharmed, back into the wild, far from residential areas.

What would be your reaction if you come home and find this waiting?

IMG_3350.jpeg

IMG_3351.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

I'd rather find that Python than this much smaller one a couple of feet from the door. The wife nearly stepped on it in the dark.

Malayan Pit Viper

Image preview

Very much agree, the Malayan pit viper can be ill-tempered and have been known to strike without much provocation. Once bitten by one, you need hospital treatment, and be able to identify the snake to the hospital, as it has a mortality rate of about 2 percent.

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/calloselasma-rhodostoma

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Very much agree, the Malayan pit viper can be ill-tempered and have been known to strike without much provocation. Once bitten by one, you need hospital treatment, and be able to identify the snake to the hospital, as it has a mortality rate of about 2 percent.

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/calloselasma-rhodostoma

you do not need to identify the snake, they do that by blood test on hospital, and people die because of seeking help to late! 

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

you do not need to identify the snake, they do that by blood test on hospital, and people die because of seeking help to late! 

Agree, but if you can identify the snake it makes treatment quicker and easier, so you receive the correct anti-venom.

Emergency rooms will also know how to use your physical symptoms and bite marks to determine if anti-venom is required or not.

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Have since found out a relative of the wife had his lower leg amputated following a bite.

That is not good, was it because they delayed going to hospital or the toxicity of the venom or poor first aid, such as using a tourniquet, which can cause limb ischemia (severely blocked blood flow).

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Agree, but if you can identify the snake it makes treatment quicker and easier, so you receive the correct anti-venom.

Emergency rooms will also know how to use your physical symptoms and bite marks to determine if anti-venom is required or not.

they would not do anything without blood tests is my experience. Some snakes do dry bites as well. I also heard they need to test for anti venom sensitivity as well 

Good thing to ask at the facebook snake pages, unfortunate Im not on fb anymore. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

That is not good, was it because they delayed going to hospital or the toxicity of the venom or poor first aid, such as using a tourniquet, which can cause limb ischemia (severely blocked blood flow).

I don't know any more than that, I've never met the guy myself. Many of the older locals tend to try ancient remedies before going to doctors.

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

they would not do anything without blood tests is my experience. Some snakes do dry bites as well. I also heard they need to test for anti venom sensitivity as well 

Good thing to ask at the facebook snake pages, unfortunate Im not on fb anymore. 

Fully agree, but Thai hospitals will ask you about the snakes characteristics, it’s part of their procedures and guidance.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/health-blog/jan-2018/to-do-if-snake-bites#:~:text=Take note of any characteristics,direct contact with the wound.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Last year I thought I may have been snake bitten. I was riding an electric bike around the dam at night and felt a sharp pain on my calf. Found two bloody puncture marks and decided better to check at the local hospital. Sat in ER for some time, no blood tests were taken. It was just a wait and see. After some time, I realized there wasn't a problem and sheepishly apologized for wasting their time.   

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Last year I thought I may have been snake bitten. I was riding an electric bike around the dam at night and felt a sharp pain on my calf. Found two bloody puncture marks and decided better to check at the local hospital. Sat in ER for some time, no blood tests were taken. It was just a wait and see. After some time, I realized there wasn't a problem and sheepishly apologized for wasting their time.   

If it was me, I would had required blood tests, but they might had their reasons for not? No blood pressure no swelling? 

I know they check the punctures as their check, and maybe they didnt see any reasons based on that? 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

If it was me, I would had required blood tests, but they might had their reasons for not? No blood pressure no swelling? 

I know they check the punctures as their check, and maybe they didnt see any reasons based on that? 

I was prepared to wait and see if I developed any symptoms as I thought I may have been concerned for no reason. It was a little embarrassing when the wounds were cleaned, and the punctures appeared a little jagged rather than how a bite would be. They were possibly caused by a stick or similar, rather than fangs.   I had decided better safe than sorry.

I was monitored by several doctors and had no complaints about the treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd look for a bulge and figure out which cat or dog it ate.  But given I have 9 dogs?  I doubt the snake would be in very good shape.