how to be legalized father

20 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay there are two ways to get "legal parental rights" granted as the father of a thai child born out of wedlock

The first is if the child is old enough to go with both parents to the local Amphur <-City Hall and identify you as the father. usually that's when a child is 6 or 7 years old) so this option isn't viable for you

The second option is to go thru family court, so get your thai child's mother to start googling around and find the nearest family court office to where ever you are in thailand.

Then take everything you have documentation wise over there and see IF you can do an uncontested case (as you said you live with the mother and she's okay with you having parental rights)

Some family court offices will let the parents do the petition themselves but some make you retain an attorney to do it, so that's gonna come down to the family court office you're dealing with 

The process is not fast, but most of the time is taken up by waiting, you file, wait for the initial hearing, then wait for interviews, get interviewed, wait for the next hearing and finally wait for the decision. Pre-covid it was not uncommon to see this whole thing take 6 months to wind it's way thru the family court system (although again, depending on the court it could be sooner) 

Unfortunately until you actually get granted legal parental rights of your child as the foreign father you cannot get a Non-O visa or long term extension issued for that reason inside the country at the immigration office. You can get the 90 day Non-O visa issued a most nearby thai consulates with just your name on the birth certificate along with the mother's and child's thai i/d, house book etc,
AND
You can get one 60 day visit thai family extension granted per entry at the immigration office based on being the father of a thai child without legal parental rights

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

What are trials like in local family courts in Thailand?

Are they held in grand courthouses where you stand at a witness stand, or are they in small, ordinary rooms?

Also, what kind of questions will they ask in court? Should I just say "YES" to everything?

On 6/19/2024 at 8:56 PM, WilliamSmits said:

I did the process to legitimise my Thai son (as first step and to get the passport of my country later on).

This is done in the local office (khet) where you are registered. You (and the mother) will need a declaration of civil status (from home country) translated and legalised + some other papers like visa and more. (best to ask in the local district office as they might not all ask the same)

Hello. Have you hired a lawyer? How old were your children? And how was the trial? What kind of questions were asked?

On 6/20/2024 at 9:23 AM, asia123 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

What are trials like in local family courts in Thailand?

Are they held in grand courthouses where you stand at a witness stand, or are they in small, ordinary rooms?

Also, what kind of questions will they ask in court? Should I just say "YES" to everything?

Unless u speak fluent Thai, ur going to need a lawyer
Family court in Phuket is held in a court room with 3 judges ( mine was)
NO English was spoken>
Judges asked me questions. which lawyer translated to me ,with responses translated back
its not so much a trail as no one is in any witness stand and no one is sworn in.

Your lawyer will go over questions that might be asked
at least thats how it was before< things might have changed

The welfare of the child is what is most important when granting custody.