no neutral line in light switch... recommended practice to add

Despite asking our home builder to provide a neutral line in all circuits .... we only have a neutral at power outlets... none at light switches.

I'm sure my lack of understanding of even the basics of residential wiring will be obvious from my questions.

I only need the neutral to make home automation simpler.  The "brains" and wireless hardware in the smart switches need a little power to operate wether the switch is open or closed.  Many smart switches require the neutral to make a circuit to supply that power.

I know there are smart switches that do not require a neutral.  At this time I prefer to restrict my switch selection to those that support Matter and Thread protocols.  If that doesn't turn out to be reasonable I can change my plans easily.

If I understand correctly I can provide continuous power to the smart switch by adding wiring and a resistor to allow a trickle of power to flow to the load even when the switch is open.  The flow won't be enough to light the bulb.... just enough to keep the smart switch functioning.

The obvious alternative is to run a neutral line from the switch box(es) to the consumer unit.  That isn't an easy job with our wiring embedded below the render on the walls.  Possibly there may be room in the embedded conduit to make the job easier.

Or... if there's a nearby power outlet can I just use the neutral line available there?  I have read comments that sharing a neutral like that is not a good idea.  Can I share a neutral between several lighting only circuits in the same wall box?  Also one of the switches I want to replace is a momentary switch to open/stop/close the driveway gate.

Fortunately there are only 3 or 4 switch boxes where I hope to install smart switches.

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

If I understand correctly I can provide continuous power to the smart switch by adding wiring and a resistor to allow a trickle of power to flow to the load even when the switch is open.  The flow won't be enough to light the bulb.... just enough to keep the smart switch functioning.

Sounds like you need an expert ( obviously not Somchai the village electrician, and not advice on here ). Good luck finding one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Nope, most smart switches can be powered by a capacitor connected between live and neutral at the light.

My home is full of them as I run 'Google Home' voice commands to control almost everything.

No need to think, the switches come with the capacitor.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/smatrul-wifi-tuya-app-alexa-google-home-123-gang-i3783968316-s14384376219.html 

Untitled-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ElwoodP said:

Nope, most smart switches can be powered by a capacitor connected between live and neutral at the light.

With your switch you had to access the light and add the capacitor at that point ?

I have a string of lights on the perimeter fence using one switch so I just need to add one capacitor for that circuit?

Update:  I found a YTube video that has answered these questions

Edited by gamb00ler

Here's a YTube video that uses the exact Sonoff module that I bought to test. 

This video shows in detail the wiring required to eliminate the need for a neutral line.

Apart from not doing as instructed, the electrician did nothing wrong. A neutral to the light is not required.

Obvious answer would be to pull new wires, but whether that is worth the effort??? (I rewired a few switches and outlets in our house.)

PS: "Most electricians here are idiots." and I'm quoting our interior designer and head contractor. Having seen some of the work and their disregard for requests, I'm open to believing that. 

The circuit I need to use at the light socket looks fairly simple to make.  It requires 2 diodes, 1 fusible resistor, 1 regular resistor and a capacitor.  I've never done any soldering so I would like to hire someone to make 3 or 4 of these circuits.

What kind of shop should I look for in CM to fabricate these simple circuits?

I'm attaching a schematic and a picture of a completed circuit.

neutralHack.jpg

neutralPic.jpg

26 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Apart from not doing as instructed, the electrician did nothing wrong. A neutral to the light is not required.

Just to clarify this.

A neutral to the light switch is not normally required. 

Neutral is required to the light.

Smart switches may be different, but check the installation instructions.

Some may, some may not. You will get to know from the instructions for the product.

Edited by jojothai
Add remark
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 7:25 PM, gamb00ler said:

Or... if there's a nearby power outlet can I just use the neutral line available there?  I have read comments that sharing a neutral like that is not a good idea

Yes, it is not a good idea.

And no, you shouldn't do it.

But, it still might "work". But not the way it was intended.

So, just in case you have someone who proves to you that it "works", by adding such a wire, don't do it!

In general, I think ordinary electricians can't be blamed for not adding a neutral to light switches. Because in normal installations, >99%, a neutral would never be used.

I use plastic pipes behind the walls for all my electrical boxes. And I use 100% home automation. I like it.

I use mostly Shelly devices and WLAN and LED lights.

Easy Smart Home Automation (shelly.com)

They offer many different devices including units which don't need neutral. 

IMG_20230107_113136.thumb.jpg.a30cdf6566d904ac196829777c26c7cd.jpg