74-Year-Old Pattaya Farmer, Loses More Than 3.2 Million Baht to Phone Scam

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Confuscious said:

How can this guy transfer +3 millions of baht between bank accounts instantly?
Assuming that the transfer would be between Thai banks.

I read it that he took the money out in fear of a frozen account and later deposited it into the scammers account, so possibly the bank allowed him to make a substantial cash withdrawal. Also that would not arouse the banks suspicions so much. 

• Confused 1

wow 3.2 million in savings, not bad for a farmer... probably never paid any income tax ...

did the scammer buy bank info or something, that he knew to target this rich farmer ?

Edited by john donson
  • Sad 1

On 6/21/2024 at 4:41 PM, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, in all of Europe he would be seen as poor. If you do not consider 3,2M baht in savings after working all his life is amazing. It equals to about 80 000 euro, that he basically must live on when not strong enough for working without any pension or retirement fund.

that's what kids are for

doubt he ever paid any tax to start with...

On 6/22/2024 at 4:03 PM, Confuscious said:

If I want to pull any amount of money via phone/qcode/etc., I get immediatly a notice on my phone and I need to agree with that notice.
If I want to pull money on any ATM, I am limited to 26,000 Baht/day. If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money.
If I want to transfer high amouts of money (like 800,000 baht) I need to spend several hours at the bank, filling all kind of formulars and wait 1 or 2 weeks before the transfer is done.

How can this guy transfer +3 millions of baht between bank accounts instantly?
Assuming that the transfer would be between Thai banks.
If the transfer involves a foreign bank, transferring that amount would require 1 or 2 weeks.

Something looks like this guy is pulling a leg....

seriously? I bounced millions from one bank to another, several times, online

On 6/22/2024 at 12:48 PM, Gottfrid said:

I don´t think you understand this scam and how it works. There is no one demanding bribes for something to go away. They are asked to move their money to another account said to be for official business, during an investigation.

I don't think you understand how it works.

Nobody is going to move any money if they have nothing to hide or have done nothing wrong. 

They target people they know have something to hide, otherwise there is no point. 

12 hours ago, john donson said:

wow 3.2 million in savings, not bad for a farmer... probably never paid any income tax ...

did the scammer buy bank info or something, that he knew to target this rich farmer ?

Likely someone that knows of him and how much money he had passed information to the 'scammer'.

Thailand is a country built on jealous informants. Nearly everything that happens is due to a tip-off or similar. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I don't think you understand how it works.

Nobody is going to move any money if they have nothing to hide or have done nothing wrong. 

They target people they know have something to hide, otherwise there is no point. 

No, they don´t. It seems like you don´t understand the level of stupidity, undereducation, lack of knowledge that exists. They have simply been told to do as authorities say.

• Confused 1