Dog Attacks Whilst Biking.

Richb2004v2

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is not possible to shoot them in Thailand?

No, is not possible to shoot them in Thailand. foreigners are not allowed to have guns. And, I would hate to see people waving guns at roaming dogs. 99% of them are harmless.

However, It is not BS that dogs will attack with the intention of doing damage, and with no provocation. Some breeds are much worse than others. Many dogs will give one quick bite and stop at that, but the dog breeds that were bred for fighting: Pitt Bulls, Stafforshire terriers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks etc WILL attack with the intention of killing their victim. Most often the victim is another dog, but occasionally it is a human... and most often a child.

I killed the Pitt bull that did this to me and told its owner that he was next, and I meant it if he had become obnoxious..

Scar_em.sized.jpg

I got that along with a bunch of puncture wounds.

As I said before, I love dogs, but won't abide a vicious one. I don't wait around for authorities to play their little games of show and tell.

Edited by IanForbes

It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about dogs.

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

Hit the brakes and stare out the leader of the pack, you will normally be considerably bigger than him, so he will not make the first aggressive move, if you manage to out-stare him and pass him without violent action, the pack will remember and let you pass without incident the next time..... you are just a big dog passing through.

If you don't manage to out-stare him (i.e. more than twelve seconds and he hasn't looked away) retreat from whence you came and never go back.

Try suggesting that to a friend of mine who used to be fearless around strange dogs until he used the "show them you aren't afraid technique" and along with his father ended up in the hospital for 10 days after the pack attack they endured.

Staring down a dog signals aggression to the dog. It's actually safer to show submissive behavior.

Like yourself, your friend didn't read or understand the last paragraph of my post that you quoted.

If the power play doesn't work after a few seconds, you get the hell out of there, or call an ambulance.

Another gem of a thread Rich??

It might be an oldie but rehashing this one makes me think you might be feeling a bit sentimental about saying Adios to LOS after all this time :)

Or are you spoiling us with threads about all things canine-y before your departure?B)

Not hard to noticed a bit of a pattern forming here...with all this talk of dogs sh^tting, chasing, biting barking everywhere its no wonder you are legging it back to ol Blighty.

I reckon even the soi dogs will miss you..maybe you could throw a going away party with them :lol:

Well, you know, one does ones best :D . I would have liked to have opened a thread recounting the time I was in a beach front restaurant with Thai friends and behind us, inside the restaurant, were two dogs back to back stuck together yelping. The Thais never batted an eye at it, even when I suggested we do something. Ah, happy times. :D

As far as I could tell neither dog was telapathic.

Laughing at animal suffering ... this is getting better and better ... What's next ? Torture as joke ?

:blink: ,

aneliane they where actually not really suffering...

Richb2004v2, next time you look at shagging dogs be aware that doing so, can give you a nervous eyelid (old Thai tale).

I say Sir! How dare you. Contrary to what you may have heard about me, I have never shagged a dog. It was simply a matter of slipping whilst exiting the shower. The dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time is all.

I say Sir! How dare you. Contrary to what you may have heard about me, I have never shagged a dog. It was simply a matter of slipping whilst exiting the shower. The dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time is all.

You say that NOW, but that is only because you were caught at it. Those Salukis do have lovely, long blonde hair, don't they. :lol:

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

Hit the brakes and stare out the leader of the pack, you will normally be considerably bigger than him, so he will not make the first aggressive move, if you manage to out-stare him and pass him without violent action, the pack will remember and let you pass without incident the next time..... you are just a big dog passing through.

If you don't manage to out-stare him (i.e. more than twelve seconds and he hasn't looked away) retreat from whence you came and never go back.

Try suggesting that to a friend of mine who used to be fearless around strange dogs until he used the "show them you aren't afraid technique" and along with his father ended up in the hospital for 10 days after the pack attack they endured.

Staring down a dog signals aggression to the dog. It's actually safer to show submissive behavior.

I tried to do this with a big bat vs a thai ridgeback and a bangkaew.. but of them turned on me and did not mind getting hit very hard by the bat(not baseball, they'd be dead)

I used to be ok with 150pound scary dogs jumping on me but ever since i was bitten by a vicious dog i get scared of smaller dogs even when i know i shouldn't.. They ruined my love for dogs.

Nowadays i carry a 200mw blue lazer.. burns them real good if they get near me.

Like yourself, your friend didn't read or understand the last paragraph of my post that you quoted.

If the power play doesn't work after a few seconds, you get the hell out of there, or call an ambulance.

Oh, I forgot to add, if the dog in question can levitate, then you have a real problem on your hands as humans lost that power centuries ago.

• 4 months later...

I have posted this somewhere else but driving around town is a nightmare at the moment..anyone knows where to find a dog whistle that makes a high pitched noise inaudible to human ears in Pattaya? I don't want to spray, hit or kill any dog, would rather keep my hands on the bars and cycle as fast as I can..

I have posted this somewhere else but driving around town is a nightmare at the moment..anyone knows where to find a dog whistle that makes a high pitched noise inaudible to human ears in Pattaya? I don't want to spray, hit or kill any dog, would rather keep my hands on the bars and cycle as fast as I can..

A while back I bought a 'Dog Dazer' (Google that for info). It does work, but not particularly well whilst on a bike, as it is directional and only works really well at a couple of meters or so. What I do carry on my bike is a collapsible baton ('asp' as the UK Police call it). Usually the act of drawing it and raising my hand is sufficient to cause the dog to swerve away, and only a very few times have I actually felt the need to deploy it. I've never hit a dog and don't particularly want to. If you're going fast enough the dog gives up after a few yards anyway, and most dogs don't bother at all. There are a couple of places locally where I've found the dogs to be more aggressive, so I just avoid them.

In Pattaya you can buy the asps at the tourist stalls along the Beach Road. Mine is fastened in its holder to the cross-member by a couple of cable-ties.

A while back I bought a 'Dog Dazer' (Google that for info). It does work, but not particularly well whilst on a bike, as it is directional and only works really well at a couple of meters or so. What I do carry on my bike is a collapsible baton ('asp' as the UK Police call it). Usually the act of drawing it and raising my hand is sufficient to cause the dog to swerve away, and only a very few times have I actually felt the need to deploy it. I've never hit a dog and don't particularly want to. If you're going fast enough the dog gives up after a few yards anyway, and most dogs don't bother at all. There are a couple of places locally where I've found the dogs to be more aggressive, so I just avoid them.

In Pattaya you can buy the asps at the tourist stalls along the Beach Road. Mine is fastened in its holder to the cross-member by a couple of cable-ties.

At the moment in our sois you can pretty much outrun the dogs also biting is not a problem now as its hard for them to swim and bite at the same time.

My dog does not like it that im faster then him (doesnt like i can force him easily to go back home). And while swimming trying to keep his head above water he cant bite.

But i can see how it would be hard to bicycle there now :D

(dog never bit anyone just loves to walk with people for a short distance)

Thank you, I searched for this dog dazer and ended up in a similar thread mentioning a dog deterrent sold in soi day and night - a hotel? - which is in south pattaya boyz town. Anyone knows where exactly? I can't find the full address. I'll also make a pepper spray mix and get an asp,hoping that at least one of them will be effective as I am a very slow biker on a ladies' bike.

At the moment in our sois you can pretty much outrun the dogs also biting is not a problem now as its hard for them to swim and bite at the same time.

My dog does not like it that im faster then him (doesnt like i can force him easily to go back home). And while swimming trying to keep his head above water he cant bite.

I've just found a map. I think they sell it in soi 1 for 600 Baht.

map.gif

Thank you, I searched for this dog dazer and ended up in a similar thread mentioning a dog deterrent sold in soi day and night - a hotel? - which is in south pattaya boyz town. Anyone knows where exactly? I can't find the full address. I'll also make a pepper spray mix and get an asp,hoping that at least one of them will be effective as I am a very slow biker on a ladies' bike.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

You may find this surprising, dogs don't speak Thai, neither do they speak English.

If the dog in question has not been raised and trained by you the only word that it will usually recognise is its name, most times you won't know that.

Any short sharp word uttered with an inference of command will work in most situations.

For the bike rider...... when the dog came at you, did you just carry on peddling, or did you flail at it with one leg? (I'm guessing the latter)

If you just carry on going out of it's territory most dogs are just noise makers, offering one a tasty limb is usually a sure fire way of getting bitten. (please take note of the use of the words most and usually, the alternative word in all other situations being unlucky)

Actually dogs can speak Thai or English (at least they respond to the certain commands). I used to train dogs and I learned a couple of things about dogs.

1) Dogs are individuals; some act and respond normally, and some are psychotic or neurotic. What works with a normal dog often will not work with a psychotic dog. I once yelled "Bad Dog" to a large Great Dane as it charged me. The dog immediately stopped his attack and slunk back to his dog house. He responded almost automatically to the command even though he had never met me in my life. I was lucky in that was a command its owner used.

I tried the same thing with a neighbor's lab (generally easy-going dogs. That dog didn't slow down one bit. I managed to get inside the house before it could get me. I looked into its eyes and all I saw was insanity. A couple of days later the dog viciously attacked the owner's 7-year old daughter. The owner had to kill the dog. The little girl was scarred for life.

2) Most dogs learn by Association, Repetition, and Consistency (ARC). They associate a command or an action with something (pain or reward). The more this association is repeated the better they become at responding appropriately. The more consistent the application of the association, the more ingrained the response becomes.

So, using a stick or a rock (like many Thais do), to stop a dog attack is more likely to get the desired response (i.e. stop the attack), then trying some unknown action like saying in English, "Nice doggy".

Fear and running away will trigger the chase/attack response.

Once, when attacked by a German Shepard (I was in Italy), I was able to thrust a gym bag into the dog's face as he leaped at me. The dog clamped down on the bag, and I shook the bag back and forth, keeping the dog occupied with the bag, until its owner was able to pull the dog off. This was an attack-trained dog. If I had dropped the bag and took off, the dog would have probably dropped the bag and went after me.

I always carry a big stick when I go for a walk in Thailand. The stick needs to be big enough and strong enough to actually hurt the dog(s), not just scare them.

Just my thoughts.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

You may find this surprising, dogs don't speak Thai, neither do they speak English.

If the dog in question has not been raised and trained by you the only word that it will usually recognise is its name, most times you won't know that.

Any short sharp word uttered with an inference of command will work in most situations.

For the bike rider...... when the dog came at you, did you just carry on peddling, or did you flail at it with one leg? (I'm guessing the latter)

If you just carry on going out of it's territory most dogs are just noise makers, offering one a tasty limb is usually a sure fire way of getting bitten. (please take note of the use of the words most and usually, the alternative word in all other situations being unlucky)

Actually dogs can speak Thai or English (at least they respond to the certain commands). I used to train dogs and I learned a couple of things about dogs.

1) Dogs are individuals; some act and respond normally, and some are psychotic or neurotic. What works with a normal dog often will not work with a psychotic dog. I once yelled "Bad Dog" to a large Great Dane as it charged me. The dog immediately stopped his attack and slunk back to his dog house. He responded almost automatically to the command even though he had never met me in my life. I was lucky in that was a command its owner used.

I tried the same thing with a neighbor's lab (generally easy-going dogs. That dog didn't slow down one bit. I managed to get inside the house before it could get me. I looked into its eyes and all I saw was insanity. A couple of days later the dog viciously attacked the owner's 7-year old daughter. The owner had to kill the dog. The little girl was scarred for life.

2) Most dogs learn by Association, Repetition, and Consistency (ARC). They associate a command or an action with something (pain or reward). The more this association is repeated the better they become at responding appropriately. The more consistent the application of the association, the more ingrained the response becomes.

So, using a stick or a rock (like many Thais do), to stop a dog attack is more likely to get the desired response (i.e. stop the attack), then trying some unknown action like saying in English, "Nice doggy".

Fear and running away will trigger the chase/attack response.

Once, when attacked by a German Shepard (I was in Italy), I was able to thrust a gym bag into the dog's face as he leaped at me. The dog clamped down on the bag, and I shook the bag back and forth, keeping the dog occupied with the bag, until its owner was able to pull the dog off. This was an attack-trained dog. If I had dropped the bag and took off, the dog would have probably dropped the bag and went after me.

I always carry a big stick when I go for a walk in Thailand. The stick needs to be big enough and strong enough to actually hurt the dog(s), not just scare them.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks Rick.

Quoting me.

No language, you could shout 'Cabbage' and as long as your demeanour/body language is right it will work with most dogs, but not all. When you are unfortunate enough, which is rare, to meet a dog that doesn't respond, you had better be able to handle yourself or run for shelter very quickly.

Riding my bike recently I have encountered this problem several times, but not with so many dogs in one small road.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Hi,

I recently walked from Aikchol Hospital, in Chon Buri, near where I live, to a bar , no more than 500 yards along the road.I encountered menacing dogs. It only takes one to bark and the others follow suit.

i was quite alarmed , as they moved in on me slowly. However, a Thai lady ordered them away from me, much to my relief.

Mike

In the village I used to go to an internet cafe down a long soi, and my wife would take me there and back on the bike.

One night I decided to walk back to the main Rd- BIG mistake. Got half way and all the dogs in the soi started barking and trying to attack me. Luckily, most locked behind the gates, and swinging the crash helmet scared the rest away, as quite small. That was a very long walk, and never repeated.

you should always carry a nasty cat in your bicycle basket and set it loose on these hellhounds when necessary, dogs are terrified of those kittyclaws....or you could get fake fingernails and try hissing....please report back with results....

I find the gatling gun mounted on the handlebars takes care not only of dogs but cats, buffalo errant taxis the occasional Chang, tuk tuks and all Mercedes.BMW owners quiet successfully.

Admitted it can get a tad "loud" at times but ive had not one single complaint from the recipient, well, that I can notice from the large pile of mush thats left afterwards??

you should always carry a nasty cat in your bicycle basket and set it loose on these hellhounds when necessary, dogs are terrified of those kittyclaws....or you could get fake fingernails and try hissing....please report back with results....

:D5555!! My cat fought a nasty snake off my house once. She doesn't like to be on a bike though..

"Any short sharp word uttered with an inference of command will work in most situations.

No language, you could shout 'Cabbage' and as long as your demeanour/body language is right it will work with most dogs, but not all. When you are unfortunate enough, which is rare, to meet a dog that doesn't respond, you had better be able to handle yourself or run for shelter very quickly."

I agree that tone and body language is just as important as the actual words, but the closer the word is to what they are acustommed to, the more likely they are to respond correctly.

I just remembered something that worked for me as a teenager. There was an alley where someone kept a husky. This dog was very vicious and had bitten more than one person. Me and my friends got to where we started avoiding the alley (the original intent of the dog's owner, I suspect).

One day I got mad and got a heavy wrench and, holding the wrench behind my back, I slowly started walking down the alley. The dog charged and I literally bounced the dog's head off of the pavement from the force of the blow to the top of his head.

From then on, every time that dog saw me, it ran whimpering into its doghouse. That sovled that problem.

I don't think I would want to try with a Thai's dog though. It might get you shot or stabbed.

Regards to all,

RickThai

:D5555!! My cat fought a nasty snake off my house once. She doesn't like to be on a bike though..

I once had two dogs (a German Shorthair Pointer and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever) that made a habit of catching, killing, and eating cats.

The Chessie (her name was Chessie) would run down the cat (our neigbor had dozens) at night without making a sound. She would then take it back to the kennel where she and the other dog (a large male over 100lbs) lived and the two of them would eat it.

I once saw the two of them attack a cat that foolishly wandered into our yard. The cat would jump up on a fence, the big GSP would jump and grab the cat in his mouth. He would then dash the cat on the ground with a quick shake of his head. The CBR would then grab the cat and the two of them would start playing tug-of-war.

I yelled "heel' and both dogs dropped the cat and came back to my side. The cat died a while later from its injuries.

So I'd be careful about setting a cat down in the midst of a pack of dogs (or even one vicious dog). When dogs play with cats, cats can be very aggressive, but a serious dog, or a dog that becomes used to killing cats, is a very different beast indeed.

RickThai

a bit thick are we? ok i'll bite........... n scratch

My cat is a real alley cat the toughest cat that was ever born and it will destroy your mangy dogs with a simple scratch...if not go to plan B with fake fingernails and self-generated hissing

so take that

I once had two dogs (a German Shorthair Pointer and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever) that made a habit of catching, killing, and eating cats.

The Chessie (her name was Chessie) would run down the cat (our neigbor had dozens) at night without making a sound. She would then take it back to the kennel where she and the other dog (a large male over 100lbs) lived and the two of them would eat it.

I once saw the two of them attack a cat that foolishly wandered into our yard. The cat would jump up on a fence, the big GSP would jump and grab the cat in his mouth. He would then dash the cat on the ground with a quick shake of his head. The CBR would then grab the cat and the two of them would start playing tug-of-war.

I yelled "heel' and both dogs dropped the cat and came back to my side. The cat died a while later from its injuries.

So I'd be careful about setting a cat down in the midst of a pack of dogs (or even one vicious dog). When dogs play with cats, cats can be very aggressive, but a serious dog, or a dog that becomes used to killing cats, is a very different beast indeed.

RickThai

• 2 weeks later...