Stopped at immigration on a Visitor Visa - Options?

Hello AseanNow, first post 🙂

Entered Thailand yesterday on a Visitor Visa. Was stopped, taken to the interview area and questioned. After a brief chat I was allowed through (phew!) and was told I need a Tourist Visa for next time. 

(backstory: post covid, tripped around SE Asia, fell in love with Thailand and was this year visiting different areas in Bangkok with a view to eventual property/residence/retirement)

It was the 6th time we had entered Thailand with every 'visa run' done safely with whole days out of the Country. Wasn't aware of any 6 visits max rule but did just now find something online which mentioned a '6 visits max in 1 calendar year' requirement. Bah! Moving on... 

What are the options at this time? Currently in Thailand and due to exit July 16th.  Tourist Visa will require a UK trip. Do appreciate Thailand is going through major changes on Visas, i.e. Nomad Visa, Tourist visa/exemption days, etc.

Thank you in advance for reading and any advice! 🙂

Edited by ToneBone
added detail

36 minutes ago, supersomchai said:

What about about the 60 day visa free travel recently announced ,would that be applicable here ,and is it up and running yet ???

No...nobody knows when, but probably July or August.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, supersomchai said:

What about about the 60 day visa free travel recently announced ,would that be applicable here ,and is it up and running yet ???

No. 

The issue for the OP is ongoing back to back visa exempt entry to live in Thailand.

Even if visa exempt changes to 60 days that would not change his situation. 

Most likely has already used the 2 visa exempt entries at land border for this calendar year.

That would mean next VE would be via air and quite possibly denied entry..

The guy needs a visa. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tomorrow, I plan to fly into BKK for my 15th monthly visa exempt entry into Thailand in a row.  I stay 3-7 days each time, and never get anything but a smile and a stamp at immigration.  Twice, they asked how long I'd be staying this time.  Never asked to see the actual departure tickets, for hotel reservations or to flash cash. 

US citizen, 67 years old and worked in Thailand before Covid.  I always wear long pants and a collared shirt and a smile.  Even when I'm crabby and tired.

I'm open to the possibility of being stopped each time (with spare underwear and cash for a ticket out).  Which would actually save me money because it's cheaper for me to do visa runs (from China) to Korea or Hong Kong.  But I love Thailand and I meet with my former co-workers each trip to catch up with their families and their kids growing up.

I will post back if my streak ends.  Fingers crossed, it won't be tomorrow.  BTW, YMMV, depending on a lot of variables.  Mine is just a data point about airside limits on visa exempt entries.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. 

The issue for the OP is ongoing back to back visa exempt entry to live in Thailand.

Even if visa exempt changes to 60 days that would not change his situation. 

Most likely has already used the 2 visa exempt entries at land border for this calendar year.

That would mean next VE would be via air and quite possibly denied entry..

The guy needs a visa. 

Exactly that 🙂 but... we haven't used any land border entries. Will search for a topic i can view on the subject, could be worth a shot.

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

omorrow, I plan to fly into BKK for my 15th monthly visa exempt entry into Thailand in a row.  I stay 3-7 days each time, and never get anything but a smile and a stamp at immigration

Your travel to Thailand falls into unique pattern class. 

The people that end up with issues are using the 30 in full + 30 extension (most common pattern) 

Then wash and repeat in some cases same day bounce.

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Your travel to Thailand falls into unique pattern class. 

The people that end up with issues are using the 30 in full + 30 extension (most common pattern) 

Then wash and repeat in some cases same day bounce.

That's why I include details, so people don't over-analyze my case.  I also believe that my short stays are the reason I haven't been knocked back, but that's conjecture on my part.  I post the data in the hope that it helps someone else. 

And I hope I don't jinx it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe also worth note, before the immigration stoppage happened, as usual we had the next in/out booked and planned.

So, currently have an BKK - KUL - (2 days Malaysia) - KUL - BKK 18th July booked and paid for... ☹️

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

Maybe also worth note, before the immigration stoppage happened, as usual we had the next in/out booked and planned.

So, currently have an BKK - KUL - (2 days Malaysia) - KUL - BKK 18th July booked and paid for... ☹️

Good luck with that.

Visa exempt entry only 2 days out with your stated history very likely denied entry.

That involves pain. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

So again, why do you not do a 30 day extension instead if you're just coming straight back to Thailand anyway?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Good luck with that.

Visa exempt entry only 2 days out with your stated history very likely denied entry.

That involves pain. 

Absolutely, we have no plan to take the return flight immigration risk! 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So again, why do you not do a 30 day extension instead if you're just coming straight back to Thailand anyway?

Worth a shot. Never done it before. Tbh, the event caught us by surprise. Whole ball game needs consideration for sure.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thinking now this thread a wind up.

OP just joined and some posts from OP strange to say the least.

Straight forward 30 day extension (1900b) vs flight out and back with accom.

Not yet used land border bounce..

Yep sure. 

This thread does not have much more to assist forum..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking now this thread a wind up.

OP just joined and some posts from OP strange to say the least.

Straight forward 30 day extension (1900b) vs flight out and back with accom.

Not yet used land border bounce..

Yep sure. 

This thread does not have much more to assist forum..

Welcome to think but genuine. Honest plan for 2024 was to fly in/out repeatedly on the Visitor Exemption, never overstay, have paperwork in order in advance and continue.

Now, after a polite conversation with an immigration officer we have been told to get a Tourist Visa next time. so here we are, asking for thoughts/plans/ideas/anything/everything.

Close the thread if still concerned and we'll learn what we can where we can. Obviously as regular international visitors AseanNow, which we have used for information in the past, would be a good place to start 😕

9 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

Welcome to think but genuine. Honest plan for 2024 was to fly in/out repeatedly on the Visitor Exemption, never overstay, have

You state that you read AseanNow often.

Why would you not obtain 30 day extension for each visa exempt entry. 1900b.

@Pattaya57 pointed this out.

Extensions are very simple.

You stated 6 visa exempt all via air and back to back minimal days outside of Thailand.

Was this entry first time you were questioned by airport immigration? 

I don't buy it. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You state that you read AseanNow often.

Why would you not obtain 30 day extension for each visa exempt entry. 1900b.

@Pattaya57 pointed this out.

Extensions are very simple.

You stated 6 visa exempt all via air and back to back minimal days outside of Thailand.

Was this entry first time you were questioned by airport immigration? 

I don't buy it. 

We know AseanNow exists. We read information before beginning our SE Asia adventure, Often? No... but we're here now.

We know Extensions exist. Have we researched about it? Does it apply in this case? Are they straight-forward? New ball game to us.

We know Land crossings exist. Have we researched about it? Does it apply in this case? Are they straight-forward? New ball game to us.

Again welcome to buy, accuse, close the thread as you wish. Shame though, forum members we're helping 😞 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

OP says he knows 30 day extensions exist but couldn't be bothered to research such an easy process. Therefore decided to do 6 visa exempt entries back to back in 6 months. 

Immigration did their job and found someone living in Thailand on visa exempt entries. Suggest OP doesn't try to come back visa exempt in July as planned. I think even a tourist visa may be risky.

If you researched better you could have had only 3 entries for IO to look at and saved a load of cash on flights and hotels out of Thailand

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 2