Marketshare of Linux Desktop: Why not MUCH higher, these days?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Folks,

It seems that the marketshare of Linux Desktop has not risen much since a few years after I first began using Linux for the Desktop.

But why?

image.png.40460da79a11e1456aae3b85e9eabea8.png

Is this due to sheer stupidity?

Or, is this due to sheer monopoly tactics?

Or, is it BOTH, most likely?

image.png.666c2a6bfac7da4bb1f316732928344c.png

Even a ONE-percent growth, to my ears, sounds GREAT!

Just as long as we are not backsliding, is all I care about.

I have a few friends who have nothing but Linux installed on their ThinkPads.....from China.

I also doubt this data.

Who really knows, anyway?

All I know is that I will NEVER go back to Windows.

And, if Linux is good enough for me, then it must be good enough for almost everybody.

I might guess that the reason why more people do not install Linux on their laptops and desktops is just due to habit and fear, and also being idiots.

For example, how many idiots vote for Trump?

If only we could convince the non-idiots to install Linux, then we could increase our Linux marketshare immensely!

There is really nothing to fear by installing Linux, instead of Windows, on your computer.

Also, in MY view.....   The best way for us to move from Windows to Linux on the Desktop would be to have XiJinPing decree that all 1.4 billion Chinese in China must move from Windows/Apple to Linux by the middle of 2025.

IF XiJinPing enforced such a decree, then I would definitely vote for him next time he comes up for re-election.

Another problem with increasing uptake of Linux Desktop is guys like this:

How do we get guys with picks and shovels, in the hills, who are probably strung out on METH, to change from Windows to Linux Desktop?

Sure, we have our work cut out for us,....but....

We can do it.

After 25 years of using Linux, I still love Linux, and I still love Linus.

I don't like hillbillies, though.

Yet, in order to increase the uptake of the Linux Desktop, then we must hold our noses, and try to EMBRACE the ignorant hillbillies.....

If we can just win over the Mountain Men of the USA, the guys who believe in Clean Coal, then this might be a real step forward for Linux on the Desktop.

I have given this much thought during the past quarter century.

And, I have many other good ideas.

Best regards,

Gamma G.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

33 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Linux have disgusting UI/UX. I'm using 8 - 12 hours a day for years and I wish I could switch to Windows or Apple. 😑 But I can't, because all the servers are running Linux and I have to be compatible... .

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: you know nothing you just a troll

32 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Linux have disgusting UI/UX. I'm using 8 - 12 hours a day for years and I wish I could switch to Windows or Apple. 😑 But I can't, because all the servers are running Linux and I have to be compatible... .

Some of us LOVE disgusting user interfaces.

It's all just a matter of personal preference.

User experience, using disgusting user interfaces, is ALWAYS Great!

This has been by user experience, for many years.

I have no use for linux, as the 2 apps/programs I use most, won't run on it.  Along with other apps/programs have limited use, or simply don't run as well.

You shouldn't bring politics into such a discussion. Calling half the USA voters idiots doesn't help.  Can't imagine an intelligent person voting for biden.   Past 3 years has been a mess, across the board.

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have no use for linux, as the 2 apps/programs I use most, won't run on it.

Which two?

I doubt you cannot get around it.

ADOBE products, right?

Just pirate and run on Linux.

NEVER pay for any software that does not run on Linux!

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US

image.png.57d4109ef8a529502655ef00c38662de.png

The reason ADOBE products do not run on Linux is just NOT due to lack of userbase.

It's a policy decision by a FING monopoly company that hinders the progress of the Human Race.

ADOBE needs to be taken down.

And, all it's products need to be ported to Linux.

In fact, EVERYTHING needs to be ported to Linux.

Even FING Word and Excel needs to be ported to Linux.

F Microsoft!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Which two?

I doubt you cannot get around it.

ADOBE products, right?

Just pirate and run on Linux.

NEVER pay for any software that does not run on Linux!

As much as I dislike windows, I don't have the to think about getting around anything.  The amount of apps/programs written for windows & android are endless.  No thinking or getting around to run and work properly.

Already have cracking tool for pirated software.   Think I've only purchased one app, and it was a one time thing, not a monthly subscription (Topaz DeNoise AI).   Use pirated 'LightRoom' already.

I use Andorid apps most, only a couple windoows apps.  Need compatibility with my phone & PC, as much as possible anyway.  

Have no desire to run one system (ex: anbox or airdroid) just so I can run things on a different OS.   I used open source programs when building drones, (programming fight controllers or GPS modules) and are fine, until they aren't, usually due to lack of support.

Also why I'd never own any apple products, too proprietary, besides their silly pricing.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I used open source programs when building drones, (programming fight controllers or GPS modules) and are fine, until they aren't, usually due to lack of support.

So, when you programmed your drones, you used C++? 

Actually, there is very little lack of support for C++, as you must admit.

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, when you programmed your drones, you used C++? 

Actually, there is very little lack of support for C++, as you must admit.

So long ago, I forget.  Could only use it on my one laptop, as a windows update wouldn't allow it, as windows updates go.  Limit more & more with every update.  Why I won't update to Win 11.  Why I dislike windows, well, one of the reasons.

If my laptops die, I may use Linux in the future, if Win 10 isn't available on anything.   Which I don't think it is now, as any new computers have Win 11 preinstalled.  Don't think I need to worry though, as don't use my PC for much any more, just photo & vid editing.  Media storage and torrent watching.

Edited by KhunLA

I would guess the reason Linux has not taken off, with the exception of servers, is because of the heavy investment by businesses in Windows as a user system and the software supporting business is written for Windows. The same complaint can be made by users of Macs in their various flavors. 

Linux is a niche system. So is Mac. 
Profitable software is written for the lowest common denominator as that is the largest set of buyers. IBM found that out with OS/2. 

18 minutes ago, degrub said:

I would guess the reason Linux has not taken off, with the exception of servers, is because of the heavy investment by businesses in Windows as a user system and the software supporting business is written for Windows. The same complaint can be made by users of Macs in their various flavors. 

Linux is a niche system. So is Mac. 
Profitable software is written for the lowest common denominator as that is the largest set of buyers. IBM found that out with OS/2. 

EXACTLY!

OS/2!

Well said.

I loved OS/2.

Then, Gates killed it.

Windows is the Chevrolet of the computer world.

Lowest common denominator....

image.png.7311b1e93a82cca67babc69a14fcd5be.png

Except for....

image.png.ad64807f79b2727d5b5204482a0fd266.png

Still, this Chevy was complete garbage compared to......

image.png.0b48bb735c472585119473d43717a0b3.png

ERGO:

Windows is REALLY nothing but GARBAGE....

LEAP is better than Windows, any old day!

NOTE:

a. Aston Martin V8 is expensive

b. OpenSUSE is free

c. Therefore:  Why not drive an Aston Martin for free, rather than drive Windows garbage?

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

I bought a laptop that came loaded with Linux a few years back.  First, it wouldn't run much of my $$ thousands worth of legacy software I was familiar with (and that we used at the office).  The freeware that it would run required hours of reformatting graphs and paragraphs that came to me from workmates and colleagues. 

Then, when I did have an issue and went to the interwebs to figure it out, I was advised to root the flubus and reconfigure my dickstack (or something like that).  (Along with helpful comments like "you idiot, you")   I didn't even know how.

The next day, I ponied up for yet another Windows license and haven't looked back.  If I was starting from zero, I'd give Linux a look.  If Microsoft continues to disappoint, I may give it another look now that I'm long term, age induced unemployed.  If all I was using a computer for is web browsing and e-mail, I'd give Linux another look.  But for real world, nope.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When you say, "555",  is this sort of like, "666" ?

I don't get it.

What's the Thai word for 5?

Get it now?

Edit:  Also explains why 555 has no meaning to anyone who's never been to Thailand.

Edited by impulse