Birth certificate and divorce document

I am considering taking my children to live in UK, they were born in Thailand, Thai mother etc, hold both passports. 

I am divorced from their mother and have full custody.

My question is related to the birth certificates and divorce cert/document being translated to English for use in UK and certified, I believe MOFA should be involved.

Can anyone shed any light on the requirements and process please?

5 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

am considering taking my children to live in UK

Thai mother etc, hold both passports

I'd get their UK passport before going back to UK. 

Passports are UK property, the mother can't hang on to them. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd get their UK passport before going back to UK. 

Passports are UK property, the mother can't hang on to them. 

Maybe badly written, I mean they hold UK and Thai passports, I have them in my possession . It was not an acrimonius divorce, there are no issues with that side of things, my question is only about the translation etc.

9 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Maybe badly written, I mean they hold UK and Thai passports, I have them in my possession . It was not an acrimonius divorce, there are no issues with that side of things, my question is only about the translation etc.

My Thai born daughter returned to Australia recently to study QUT.

She took Thai documents (ID card, birth certificate etc.) without translation. 

She's just used her passport and my personal information for credentials to obtain Medicare, university loan (HECS) etc. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

Don't need the ministry of foreign affairs to translate anything just take the Thai documents if they need to translate anything there's a translation at the passport and visa office that will be a lot easier and quicker than involving the ministry of foreign affairs. If you need any original document just go to your local government office and get the birth certificate. You don't need to worry about your ex-wife.

Edited by arick
  • Agree 1

On 6/25/2024 at 7:56 PM, kingkenny said:

I am considering taking my children to live in UK, they were born in Thailand, Thai mother etc, hold both passports. 

My question is related to the birth certificates and divorce cert/document being translated to English for use in UK and certified, I believe MOFA should be involved.

I went through the exact same scenario, divorced, I have full custody.

I had a Thai and English birth certificate provided by the hospital.

I took all my Thai language document regarding, divorce, custody etc and went to a Canadian Embassy approved translation service, there are 4 or 5 that they recognize 

They translated and provided the all important stamp

Your embassy should have a list of approved translator services.

It was slow in my case, lots of papers to do. About 3 weeks in all

Mine have been scrutinized by immigration when I left Thailand with my son and I had no problems.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 8:56 AM, kingkenny said:

if mother is hostile, your kids will not leave thailand before the age of 20 when they can apply themselves for their THAI passport... cannot leave without...

if you need a new one, mother has to agree, full custody or not ...

12 hours ago, john donson said:

if mother is hostile, your kids will not leave thailand before the age of 20 when they can apply themselves for their THAI passport... cannot leave without...

if you need a new one, mother has to agree, full custody or not ...

Nonsense

I got a renewal Thai passport for my son in Udon Thani using my full custody papers only.

Full parental powers means just that. 

I went to Sun-something lawyers at Fortune Tower Bangkok to translate and notorize. Super nice and very kind people. Than I went to MOFA (Chaengwattana) and got those stamps: they bound copies and stamped it.
Was perfect and enough since. took a few days and still working fine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2024 at 11:37 PM, NativeBob said:

I went to Sun-something lawyers at Fortune Tower Bangkok to translate and notorize. Super nice and very kind people. Than I went to MOFA (Chaengwattana) and got those stamps: they bound copies and stamped it.
Was perfect and enough since. took a few days and still working fine. 

They called Sunbelt i believe, did you translate Birth certificate? How much did they charge you?

An update on this. I went to MOFA, found someone there that would do the translations required, booked online for the same day to submit the documents. Paid and handed the receipt to the translator who collected the stamped docs a few days later and sent them to me by EMS.

No cost for the EMS or the collection. Total translation cost for 2 x birth certificates (The translations I already had were rejected by MOFA as being incorrect) 1 x divorce certificate, 1 x document showing the terms of divorce etc. Total paid the translator was 1500 THB. This obviously doesn't include the stamp fees paid directly to MOFA. I was only required to pay after she collected the stamped docs from MOFA.

I had emailed a company in Trendy for a cost for translation, they came back (a few days after everything was completed) with 900 THB per page, more than double what I paid in MOFA.

There is no official translator in MOFA but the staff there directed me to lady standing not far away named Am who had the translations done within the hour, along with required copies etc, all for 1500.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:04 AM, kingkenny said:

An update on this. I went to MOFA, found someone there that would do the translations required, booked online for the same day to submit the documents. Paid and handed the receipt to the translator who collected the stamped docs a few days later and sent them to me by EMS.

No cost for the EMS or the collection. Total translation cost for 2 x birth certificates (The translations I already had were rejected by MOFA as being incorrect) 1 x divorce certificate, 1 x document showing the terms of divorce etc. Total paid the translator was 1500 THB. This obviously doesn't include the stamp fees paid directly to MOFA. I was only required to pay after she collected the stamped docs from MOFA.

I had emailed a company in Trendy for a cost for translation, they came back (a few days after everything was completed) with 900 THB per page, more than double what I paid in MOFA.

There is no official translator in MOFA but the staff there directed me to lady standing not far away named Am who had the translations done within the hour, along with required copies etc, all for 1500.

Do you have the contacts of the translator you used? Please send by PM if its not allowed here. Thank you.