Thailand increases interest in hybrid cars, lessens focus on electric vehicles

snoop1130

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg

Thai consumers are showing less interest in battery electric vehicles (BEVs) over the past year, and greater interest in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), based on a survey by Deloitte. The 2024 Global Automotive Consumer Study shows that Thai respondents interested in buying a BEV dropped from 31% in 2023 to 20% in 2024, while HEV interest increased from 10% to 19%. Yet, vehicles with internal combustion engines (ICE) remain the top choice, despite preference dropping slightly from 36% to 32%.

This decline in ICE vehicle preference is also seen in Indonesia, the Philippines, and China. However, in the US, Japan and Singapore, ICE vehicles are gaining in popularity. Over 27,000 consumers from 26 countries took part in the survey last year, including around 1,000 Thai consumers.

Thai consumers’ reasons for favoring BEVs include wanting to save fuel costs (73%), being concerned about the environment (71%), and reducing health and maintenance costs (49%). Those choosing HEVs have similar motivations. The main reasons for choosing ICE vehicles are worry over limited driving range and charging issues (78%), wanting to avoid unforeseen costs like battery replacements (67%) and wishing to keep flexibility in maintenance and customization (52%).

Despite decreasing overall, the biggest concern over BEVs for Thai consumers remains the lack of public charging stations (46% of respondents), although this is down slightly from 48% in 2023. Concerns over driving range have also reduced from 44% to 39%. The survey shows more Thai people can tolerate longer charging times: 38% find a charging period of 21 to 40 minutes acceptable, an increase from 25% in 2023.

Charging at home is still the preferred choice in Southeast Asia, but in Thailand, more people are using petrol stations as charging points (26% in 2023 to 34% in 2024) or preferring a charge-anywhere option (5% to 29%). There has been a decrease in the use of BEV charging stations (51% to 21%) and a slight rise in preferred driving range per charge, with 44% now wanting a range of 300-499 kilometers.

When deciding to buy a car, Thai consumers are increasingly considering price (18% in 2023 to 47% in 2024) and performance (26% to 51%). The importance of vehicle features has also slightly risen, from 49% to 53%. Although product quality remains an important factor in Thai car purchases, it has slightly declined from 64% to 53%. There is also less emphasis on brand familiarity and image.

The survey also reveals that 64% of Thai respondents are open to trying new car brands. This is driven by access to new technologies (52%), a desire for novelty (49%) and affordability (36%). Even though online ways to explore car features and finance options are available, most Thai buyers (92%) still like to physically experience the car before buying. For 91% of respondents, test drives and negotiations with a salesperson were seen as critical.

For Thai consumers, nearly three-quarters (74%) find installment plans a convenient way to pay for their vehicles while 21% prefer to pay cash and 5% opt for balloon payment plans. Notably, younger people (18-34) showed more interest in vehicle subscription services (47%) than traditional car ownership. It was also apparent that for 82% of Thai respondents, maintenance costs and part prices are vital factors when choosing a car model. Also, 63% are willing to buy comprehensive maintenance packages and 84% of those considering BEVs are interested in battery accident insurance.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2

hybrid cars seem a logical solution.

need to reduce the use of fossil fuels - hybrid cars do this

need to remove range anxiety - hybrid cars do this

i don;t believe EVs are the future, hybrid cars are a very effective stop gap as we develop the next, more appropriate, technology. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

hybrid cars seem a logical solution.

need to reduce the use of fossil fuels - hybrid cars do this

need to remove range anxiety - hybrid cars do this

i don;t believe EVs are the future, hybrid cars are a very effective stop gap as we develop the next, more appropriate, technology. 

"I don't believe EVs are the future"

You should check the latest developments in China. I recently came across the following news.

"At Auto China 2024, CATL unveiled Shenxing PLUS—the world's first LFP battery that achieves a range above 1,000 kilometers with 4C superfast charging. Within eight months after the launch of the Shenxing superfast charging battery in August 2023, CATL has once again pushed the boundaries of LFP battery technology, ushering in the era of superfast charging for the whole industry. 
The 1,000-km pure electric range comes from continuous technological breakthroughs. The cathode of Shenxing PLUS is made with a granular gradation technology, which places every nanometer particle in the optimal position to achieve ultra-high compact density."

https://www.catl.com/en/news/6239.html

From another source, it's claimed "it should be possible to charge the energy that would be necessary for a journey of 600 km within 10 minutes. This means that 1 km of range would be charged into the battery every second. A full charge for a range of 1,000 km can be purportedly achieved in 16.6 minutes."

There is also the issue of 'spontaneous combustion' which needs to be addressed. These new LFP batteries, apparently, do not have this risk. From the following site:

"Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible, which is an important feature in the event of mishandling during charging or discharging. They can also withstand harsh conditions, be it freezing cold, scorching heat or rough terrain."
https://www.relionbattery.com/knowledge/how-are-lifepo4-batteries-safer-than-other-lithium-batteries#:~:text=Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible,scorching heat or rough terrain

Whilst I don't believe that CO2 emissions present any  risk of catastrophic climate change, I do believe in the power of technological development. Some of the claimed features of CATL's new battery technology might not be ready at the present moment, but most probably will be in the near future.

I'm not usually with mainstream choices but I am with this. I have always felt EVs to be a con, foisted on the unsuspecting public by tone deaf governments who have also foisted on us, washing machines that don't clean properly and vacuum cleaners that don't pick up. In the US the dead heads in government tried to mandate EVs, and if we have a proper non brain dead president in the future will have to revise this. 

I see the logic of Hybrids. I rented one in the UK, a Korean car called an Ioniq. It did over 80 mpg over a month's varied driving. I haven't seen this brand in Thailand though. I looked at a Toyota HEV but it was 1.2 million baht for a car that might have cost only 800,000 if it were an ICE.....and 400,000 buys a lot of petrol.