Should new tyres go on the front or back of the car. They just put them on the front

ubonr1971

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Most drivers do not have proper training, and coming from a country who have all different conditions, and also been able to drive and play with cars and motorbikes since I managed to reach controlls have differnt instinctive reaction when something happens than someone who never had the chance to test the extreme limits of different wehircles. 

I prefer as said to rotate my tires, and change before critical wear apperas. I would also change older  tires than 4-5 years even not weared out depending on climate and sun exposure

Do you think your 'tyre' rotation has prevented you from an incident at all ?

Or would the rotation purely be about economics and longevity of wear (within your 5 year limit - depending on climate sun exposure) ?

On 6/29/2024 at 6:19 PM, HauptmannUK said:

Uniroyals are a great tyre. They have a slightly soft sidewall and a softer rubber compound - very good grip in the wet but a somewhat shorter tyre life.

Yes, and grip in the wet is why I use them.  I'd rather save my life than a couple of thousand kilometers.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The car had only been serviced 3 months earlier. 

Formal complaint put into the dealership (senior level) who confirmed that tracking is not part of the servicing which surprised me (could be the same in the UK and elsewhere too).

They didn't even notice the excess tyre wear.

I should also have carried out checks but its easy to become complacent (so my own fault too), but I'd expect this to be noticed on service - I've placed too much trust in servicing.

Checking the tracking is not something I've even seen as part of a servicing schedule. However, checking the tyre condition certainly is. The garage should have reported the tyre condition and what it suspects the reason for the irregular wear may be. But yes, you should have also noticed it when you do your weekly check..................you know, the one we all do 😁.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you think your 'tyre' rotation has prevented you from an incident at all ?

Or would the rotation purely be about economics and longevity of wear (within your 5 year limit - depending on climate sun exposure) ?

it is more for even wear on the tires before changing all 4 tires at the same time.

On 6/30/2024 at 2:06 PM, Hummin said:

Im talking about real experts. Google New tires front or back and look through all expert sites and see what you find!

just to sum it up and all the tire manufactures also says the same

If you are only replacing a pair of tyres, Michelin recommends that you have the new (or least worn) tyres fitted to the rear of the vehicle. This is for safety in difficult driving conditions, such as hard braking or cornering, especially on wet or slippery road surfaces.

https://thetiredigest.michelin.com/every-day-if-you-only-change-two-tires

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3121/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440/

and a couple of links above states the same! 

haha real experts in google. What a joke. 

On 6/30/2024 at 8:15 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Very interesting... 

Though a driver driving a regular car on the road to such extremes that would encourage oversteer is likely to end up in a crash sooner or later, regardless of tyres.

IMO - as long as the tyres are all in good condition with sufficient tread etc, it should matter whether they are on the front or rear as we shouldn't be pushing the car to those limits of failure anyway. 

These accidents we read of - loss of control on wet road etc, those drivers were likely to loose control because they were too fast for conditions and / or tyre state was extremely poor.

Richard, you are absolutely right on this .