How long did it take you to feel like a local in Thailand?

Mekmong MICK

22 hours ago, susanlea said:
22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Try the 'ignore user' option. I placed this idiot on mine within 48 hours or his 1st post. (I have NOT read the O/P)

22 hours ago, susanlea said:

Yet here you are.

Ah, but I did say I haven't read the post and I still haven't, nor any other posts by the O/P. What baffles me is why so many members read and respond  to his nonsense.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly its taken me tbh. I've been here nearly 3 weeks and already feel at home. I've previously done the usual tourist trips to Pattaya, Patong and Kuta but never been a local in Thailand.

Even though I'm well travelled and cultured, it's a different feeling actually feeling like a local in a foreign land. Between wives 2 and 3 I spent a month in the Philippines to try and meet someone but never felt totally comfortable and like it was home. There were too many Western sex tourists.

Here, I've already met someone, starting to learn the language, joined this online forum which is a useful resource and even eat mostly local food. The locals are always smiling and welcoming. I have even stopped adding tomato sauce to my pad Thai (in Australia tomato sauce accompanies every meal). Case in point below; my breakfast this morning was a Thai bahm mi and two little boys.

20240702_113254.thumb.jpg.4c5f05cd7fb1e581c9624e13a61258ba.jpg

How has everyone else's experiences been fitting in? Was there a defining moment where Thailand felt like home and you were a local?

MICK

Untill you speak Thai language fluently 😄

• Haha 1

After 60 years of visiting, working and living in Thailand, and being happily married to a Thai lady since 1990, I still love the place. However, as a westerner, I can never become a Thai even if I speak the language, enjoy Thai food and the company of Thai people, the simple reason being I am not born and bred a Thai.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

After 60 years of visiting, working and living in Thailand, and being happily married to a Thai lady since 1990, I still love the place. However, as a westerner, I can never become a Thai even if I speak the language, enjoy Thai food and the company of Thai people, the simple reason being I am not born and bred a Thai.

What age did you start?

I won’t use the word “ local”, mainly because of the language, interpretation etc

I but I felt more accepted here than I did living in England ( lived there for most of my life). I believe because I am brown skinned and I am not trying to use the race card, but it’s a fact. I am often spoken to in Thai, people believing that I am a Thai.

I first came for an International Cricket Tournament 24 years ago and identified with the culture, food, weather, people etc etc

I moved here and worked for a while before retiring. I had to learn about working with Thais, as you would moving to any country.

Oh look....the trollio got smacked like a little whiny bch and disappeared. No stupid threads since Tuesday.

As he reads this reply he is furiously asking chatGPT about some better attention seeking threads he could post to boost his ego.

Edited by Celsius
  • Agree 2

On 7/2/2024 at 7:34 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly its taken me tbh. I've been here nearly 3 weeks and already feel at home. I've previously done the usual tourist trips to Pattaya, Patong and Kuta but never been a local in Thailand.

Even though I'm well travelled and cultured, it's a different feeling actually feeling like a local in a foreign land. Between wives 2 and 3 I spent a month in the Philippines to try and meet someone but never felt totally comfortable and like it was home. There were too many Western sex tourists.

Here, I've already met someone, starting to learn the language, joined this online forum which is a useful resource and even eat mostly local food. The locals are always smiling and welcoming. I have even stopped adding tomato sauce to my pad Thai (in Australia tomato sauce accompanies every meal). Case in point below; my breakfast this morning was a Thai bahm mi and two little boys.

How has everyone else's experiences been fitting in? Was there a defining moment where Thailand felt like home and you were a local?

MICK

I am sure you are fitting in just fine wearing that "Rolex" watch that you have been bragging about. You must be a hansum man wearing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2024 at 2:04 PM, Mekmong MICK said:

MICK

This has to be satire.

I've been here nearly 3 weeks and already feel at home.:cheesy:

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/3/2024 at 11:58 AM, rickudon said:

Within 4 days the hotel owner had tried to set me up with one of her waitresses (a real beauty). I knew then i was looked upon as a local, albeit still a farang.

Was she one the real locals didn't want to marry?

One of the great expat myths is that Thai women prefer farang men.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/2/2024 at 9:15 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Um excuse me?? I am exploring, I'm going to Bangkok tomorrow for an appointment. I've been to heaps of bars and night markets and the beach at Pranburi.

I'm asking about others' experiences 

God help us survive the week of this junk 

• Agree 2

On 7/2/2024 at 9:04 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

MICK

😂😂😂😂 You're obviously joking. To fit in you need to speak Thai language.....fluently! You can???😳

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1