Man Becomes a Monk Out of Remorse After Being Fooled by Scam Call Center

maxresdefault.jpg

A young man has vowed to become a monk because he feels guilty for participating in a call center scam that was based abroad. He was tricked into taking a job that turned out to be a scam. He wants to make it right and dedicate merit to the victims of the scam, some of whom took their own lives. He spent eight months in harsh working conditions before managing to return to Thailand.

Phim Mai Sakdipatpokin, the Chairman of the Northern Star Foundation, reported that a man named Tonmai, 29, was deceived into working for an overseas call center scam. After getting back to soon with the help of the police, Tonmai decided to become a monk to make amends for the damage done to victims.

Tonmai's ordination ceremony took place at the Wihan Daeng district temple in Saraburi province. His parents were present at the ceremony.

Tonmai was drawn into the job through a misleading social media ad, which described it as a customer parcel follow-up service. To his surprise, he was moved from an insurance to another department where he was compelled to make calls to victims using their personal information and meet daily targets. He was punished physically if he failed to meet these targets.

"I had to succeed in at least three calls a day. In this department, I was expected to connect successfully to seven to ten people every day. If I couldn't, money was cut off." Tonmai said.

Tonmai felt deep regret and remorse for his actions, particularly after hearing about victims getting duped into transferring money and some of them even taking their own lives. He was very sorry for his part in the scam and managed to escape and return to Thailand a week ago.

"I didn't want to harm anyone, but if I didn't follow orders, they would beat me," said Tonmai.

Phim Mai shared that Tonmai reached out to her on social media, expressing deep regret for his actions. She then helped him surrender to the authorities. However, no charges were laid against him as he was also considered a victim. Phim Mai assured him of her willingness to help him.

"He asked me to sponsor his monkhood to help the scam victims who were tricked and harmed. I believe it's good that Tonmai has acknowledged his mistakes and is sorry for his actions. Those who have fallen victim to call center scams can reach out to me, I am more than ready to assist," Phim Mai said.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Get a real job, these monks are just like scammers anyway taking money and food from the poor, do some real work and expect a low wage, if you don't have any qualifications, its better than begging for food, give yourself some self respect. ...:coffee1: